Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Nick ‘Honey Badger’ Cummins lost to Australian rugby

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Whilst it is sad that we are starting to see the break up of the Western Force team of 2014. We need to be realistic.

With the ARU finances going down the gurgler there is no way that we can compete with the seemingly unlimited budgets of Japan, England and France club sides.

But I have faith in what Michael Foley and Matt Hodgson have established and developed as far as our Club Culture is concerned and no longer will we see the one out playing, losing by a point for themselves like we saw during the Richard Graham era.

With our strong culture we will continue to find players that want to play in a successful franchise like ours and the culture and the winning ways will continue for many years to come.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Champion
    vCash
    It's sad also as honey badger is such a character. People who don't follow rugby know who he is which is good for Aussie rugby all round. I just hope it's as mentioned above just for the few months and hes back next year. This news Doesn't really lift the mood for Saturdays match :-(

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Devastated..
    Didn't see this one coming in all honesty.
    Very sad news for the team and us supporters.

vCash
    Hopefully we'll get official word quickly, one way or the other.

Player
    vCash
    Just goes to show how hard it is to put a championship team together these days. In the long run every player is out to do the best for themselves. Team is important.....just not all important. Real shame to see the basis of a good team already breaking up before they have enjoyed any real sustained success. It's bad timing ahead of the game on Saturday. It will either bond the team to make the best of this run towards the finals or they will absolutely tank. I hope they come out and have a massive crack.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    the official word:

Australian Rugby Union and RugbyWA today announced Qantas Wallaby and Western Force winger Nick Cummins has been granted an early release from his contract to play Rugby in Japan at the end of the 2014 Asteron Life Super Rugby season.

The decision has been made based on unique family circumstances.

CEO Rugby WA Mark Sinderberry said it’s hoped the conditions of Cummins’ release will allow him to play with the Force again next year.

“We’d certainly like to see Nick back in Force colours beyond this season,” he said. “He’s a player that gives his all on field. He has been a great representative for our club over the past seven years and, as a result, is an extremely popular member both within the team and with our supporters.

“While he’s a player that we’d love to hang on to, we understand Nick’s situation and we respect that this is an outcome that is best for Nick at the present time.”

Watch the press conference with RugbyWA CEO Mark Sinderberry .

Cummins has played 72 Asteron Life Super Rugby matches for the Western Force since making his debut against the Sharks in Durban in 2008. In 2012, he won the Western Force Members MVP and is the side’s leading try-scorer in 2014 – equal with captain Matt Hodgson – with six tries.

Cummins made his debut for the Qantas Wallabies in 2012 against Argentina in Rosario. Having previously represented the Australian Sevens in 2006 and 2007, he then won a silver medal as part of Australia’s Commonwealth Games Sevens campaign in 2010 in Delhi, India.

Cummins will take to the field this Saturday (5 July) in Perth when the Western Force takes on the Queensland Reds at the ‘Force Field’ (nib Stadium).

Australian Rugby Union CEO Bill Pulver said Cummins will be missed.

“We have been working with Nick and his management team to explore ways to retain him within Australian Rugby since we were notified of his circumstances.”

“Nick has been an incredibly entertaining and successful player on the field for the Western Force since 2008 and the Qantas Wallabies since 2012.

“The enthusiasm he brings to our sport and unique personality that he has shared with the Australian Rugby community will be sorely missed.

“Due to his unique and extreme personal circumstances, we have reluctantly made a decision to grant Nick an early release from his current contract based on compassionate grounds.

“We wish him well for the future on and off the field and he is aware that we – and Rugby fans across Australia who have embraced him as the ‘Honey Badger’ – would love to see him back in Australia in the future.”

CEO of the Rugby Union Players’ Association Greg Harris has worked with Cummins, his family and representatives from Australian Rugby Union and RugbyWA on the matter.

“We’re grateful for the way this matter has been handled and we feel that considering the circumstances, the appropriate decision has been made. We’re glad Nick’s welfare has been considered by granting an early release from his contract.”

Qantas Wallabies coach Ewen McKenzie wished Cummins all the best.

“It is very disappointing to lose a player of Nick’s calibre but after discussing the issues at hand, we appreciate that this is a decision based on what is best for him and his family at this time.”

“He will be sorely missed by the Qantas Wallabies for his contributions on and off the field.”

http://www.westernforce.com.au/NewsE...-contract.aspx

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    the official word:
    Oh f**k it

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    What are the unique circumstances??

WARURA Referee
    I do it because I love the game.

vCash
    Bugger, bugger, bugger!
    Good luck Badge and I hope we see you bak here next year.
    But it doesn't sound likely.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbyRef View Post
    Sinderberry was asked and didn't want to say. (He did say it wasn't about money for what it's worth.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbyRef View Post
    His Dad's not well and a couple of his siblings are also pretty ill. I'm not sure how working in Japan will be better than WA.
    What ever I hope it all works out for the Badge!

May the FORCE be with you!

Champion
    vCash
    I hope it's nothing bad. Feel like we have been broken up with using the it's not you it's me speech!! Good luck honey badger. So going to miss you!

Champion
    vCash
    Chasing the buck, there's no other reason I can see he's in the Australian team / he's in a succesful S15 team this year fighting for finals birth and he leaves with 2 games remaining. We wouldn't of seen him in the Perth Spirit team due to international fixtures, but disappointing to loose him, the Force must of got a decent payout for him and should lead to signing an international winger come centre. I think adding to this the big loss will be the combo of Badger - Hayward - Junior & Cheese (if its true) all starters and a team we've built to where we are now for proudness in both jumper and individuals. I wonder if the ARU will help out retain some of these players or just keep giving the hand outs to the 3 mighties on the east coast.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    I "think" their season is August to January, so I assume he will be back for Force next year, just not available for Wallabies Spring Tour??
    he really don't care

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    I'm guessing that the Cummins family require a large amount of money in a short time frame. Playing in Japan is the quickest way to do it. Otherwise, how can the release from the ARU be on compassionate grounds?

Hope to see him back in Force colours next year.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast