Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Nick ‘Honey Badger’ Cummins lost to Australian rugby

Champion
    vCash
    I've got money on Cummins grabbing the quick coin for his direct family (reasons unknown) & then over to France for the long term gain. I personally cant see him returning to Perth, he and everyone live once I dont have a problem with it so good on him if he can get it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Maybe the Honey Badgers move has something to do with this.

Wallaby winger Nick Cummins draws inspiration from father, who is suffering prostate cancer

BEING beaten never burdens Wallaby winger Nick Cummins for long when the spirit to bounce back is in every inspiring thought he has for his father standing up to cancer.
    "Doing it for dad" is a potent theme to everything the mop-haired finisher does, including the thundering rally of strong runs he hopes to inject into a drought-breaking Wallabies win over Argentina in Perth on Saturday night.
    Cummins's single dad Mark was honoured as Queensland's Father of the Year in 2012 for his herculean parenting effort with eight kids.
    He has made sure that kids Joe, 16, and Lizzy, 21, have more than the right care to deal with cystic fibrosis. He has given them a sunny outlook on life which is something knockabout brother Nick radiates in every conversation and every rugby challenge.
    Coughing up two early balls and slipping when he did cut through the line against South Africa last weekend is a ragged last start that Cummins is intent on remedying against the Pumas.

"Yes, there's pressure on the Wallabies to win but diamonds are formed under pressure," Cummins said with typical flourish.
    For the first time, Cummins spoke about the jolt to his Logan family's tight-knit equilibrium when his father was diagnosed with incurable prostate cancer earlier this year. He is fighting to extend the five years he was initially given to live.
    "Anyone who can stand up, keep facing life and stay positive with that sort of info...that's inspiring," Cummins said.
    "Dad's had a pretty tough ride but he always picks up my spirits if I'm a bit down rugby-wise with an injury or whatever. 'What are you worried about' he says. 'Look at me'.

"I'm really keen for that good performance for him. He's truly backed me and the family all the way."
    The pride flows both ways with Mark and a brood that would fill a sevens team...Bernadette, 33, Northern Territory five-eighth Luke, 31, Nathan, 30, Alicia, 24, Lizzy, Jake, 20, and Joe.
    "You can have a lot of speed bumps in life but the main mantra I live by is that the sun comes up tomorrow morning. Things get better," Mr Cummins, 54, said.
    "I'm determined to bat on a lot longer. You gotta live. We still have a lot of good family parties. I still surf with the boys. I play touch.
    "Nick is made of good stuff. He knows life is more than just footy.
    "I'm proud of his rugby but more so who he is. He's not a player who'll ever dog it and there's nothing fake to him.
    "He's on the phone to the kids when they are in hospital and he feels it is his mission in life to find a cure."
    If there is one footy jersey that Cummins yearns to wear as much as the gold Wallabies jumper, it is that of the Quokkas beside his father.
    He has played once for the family-based team at the Bali 10s and Mark has long-range plans to play with his sons again.
    "We'll get another team together for Bali or Darwin one year. I'll put down the clipboard and still be good for few minutes with the boys," Mr Cummins said.

Cummins senior was on a plane to Rosario to watch his son's Wallaby debut live against Argentina 11 months ago. Then-coach Robbie Deans invited him to the team's private jersey presentation ceremony.
    "It was a pleasure to be in that dressing room, in the ring of players with Nick singing Waltzing Matilda after a great win," he recalled.
    There is winning in rugby and in life. The Cummins family are savouring every drop.
    Originally published as Cummins's inspiration starts at home

Here

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    I'm guessing that the Cummins family require a large amount of money in a short time frame. Playing in Japan is the quickest way to do it. Otherwise, how can the release from the ARU be on compassionate grounds?

Hope to see him back in Force colours next year.
    That was my assumption as well but obviously it's up to the Honey Badger as to when or if he wants to reveal that information.

Hopefully he will return to the Force when he is good to come back to Australia. At his age he would probably still be around for the 2019 World Cup.

All the best Nick.

Last edited by jargan83; 04-07-14 at 11:29.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Chasing the buck, there's no other reason I can see he's in the Australian team / he's in a succesful S15 team this year fighting for finals birth and he leaves with 2 games remaining. We wouldn't of seen him in the Perth Spirit team due to international fixtures, but disappointing to loose him, the Force must of got a decent payout for him and should lead to signing an international winger come centre. I think adding to this the big loss will be the combo of Badger - Hayward - Junior & Cheese (if its true) all starters and a team we've built to where we are now for proudness in both jumper and individuals. I wonder if the ARU will help out retain some of these players or just keep giving the hand outs to the 3 mighties on the east coast.
    Where are you getting Charles and junior from the article says Haywood and Manu.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Champion
    vCash
    Junior's brother works with me and was saying that he's in discussion of going to europe with family already based in England.

I thought I read somewhere in another thread that Charles was looking @ offers in England ?! (could of been wrong)

vCash
    Fu@k shit balls!

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    Why are we getting all this bad news right before a pretty important game the weekend? Surely this is gonna mess with the boys spirits for the game - the Reds'll be drooling. Christ can't the stars align for the Force just once?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    The east coast press broke the Nick story this morning and sent people into such a flurry that I don't think the Force had any choice but to respond today - am sure it wasn't their preferred option!

Wonder if the east coast press deliberately chose today, knowing that the Force's biggest game ever is tomorrow....against the Reds...

Yes, I really AM that cynical about our cousins over east!! They do have "form" in this area!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    I'm guessing that the Cummins family require a large amount of money in a short time frame. Playing in Japan is the quickest way to do it. Otherwise, how can the release from the ARU be on compassionate grounds?

Hope to see him back in Force colours next year.
    This certainly seems to be the most logical reason. Otherwise it doesn't make sense moving into a World Cup year and with the Force finally getting their sh*t together and playing well. Even with a couple more guys becoming eligible for Wallabies selection you would have to think that Nick would be in the squad at the very least. That article Exile posted about his family situation seems to suggest he needs big money fast to either support his family and/or pay for medical bills.

Pretty sad to see. He's an inspiration to the team and the sport. I hope it all works out for him.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    If it was Folau's family, I wonder what the ARU would do......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    The east coast press broke the Nick story this morning and sent people into such a flurry that I don't think the Force had any choice but to respond today - am sure it wasn't their preferred option!

Wonder if the east coast press deliberately chose today, knowing that the Force's biggest game ever is tomorrow....against the Reds...

Yes, I really AM that cynical about our cousins over east!! They do have "form" in this area!
    Japanese Rugby broke the story, the east coast media just picked it up and ran with it.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Welcome back Jehna - long time no post

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Just in from his FB page

Name:  10448778_657678074315722_5505088252275843905_n.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  68.9 KB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Japanese Rugby broke the story, the east coast media just picked it up and ran with it.
    And some of them, who should know better, were bagging him out for putting money before a gold jetsey. That radio station just got a phone call!!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Maximum respect Badger, hats off. Family ALWAYS comes first!

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast