Thread: Former Force hooker joins Melbourne

vCash

Former Force hooker joins Melbourne

A LONG-TERM neck injury has ended Japanese hooker Shota Horie’s Super Rugby career with Melbourne.

Horie captained Panasonic Wild Knights to the Top League championship on Sunday before revealing he needs a neck operation to address chronic nerve pain.

The forward is desperate to represent Japan at this year’s World Cup and will remain in Tokyo to recuperate after undergoing surgery.

Horis has been replaced on Melbourne’s list by former Western Force and Biarritz hooker Ben Whittaker.

“Shota is a player who brought a lot to the group, on and off the field, and is somebody the coaches enjoyed working with because of his ability and fantastic attitude,” Melbourne coach Tony McGahan said.

“He will always be a Rebel and will always be respected by everybody at the club; we all wish him the best, and look forward to seeing him in action at the World Cup.”

Horie played 19 matches for the Rebels, scoring a try and providing quality support to Pat Leafa and Ged Robinson.

“It is unfortunate that I will not have the opportunity to return to Melbourne and play at AAMI Park,” Horie said.

“I have enjoyed my two years living in Melbourne, and playing for the Rebels, and I will miss all my teammates and all of the fans.

“I want to thank everybody for their support, and I hope you can make Japan your second team at the Rugby World Cup in 2015.

Former Force hooker Ben Whittaker has joined the Rebels.

Whittaker, 25, played 32 games over four seasons for the Force before joining Biarritz.

He played alongside Rebels Cruze Ah-Nau, Paul Alo-Emile, Luke Jones and Mitch Inman at the Force, and is a former Australia A schools representative and Australian U20s international.

McGahan said Whittaker had impressed during a trial period in Melbourne, and would provide strong competition to fellow Rebel hookers Leafa and Tom Sexton.

“Ben’s Super Rugby experience will benefit our group,” McGahan said.

“He’s keen to make the most of this opportunity, and we have faith in his ability to do just that.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/s...-1227204674237

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Wish him well (except when we play them ) a good loyal player with limited chances here due to better option

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    From what I recall, Whittaker was a great talent, but the skinny was that he was a bit immature. Time elapsed and playing in France may have ground that off him; could be a great signing for the Rebels

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Champion
    vCash
    Would think that he didn't carry on in France the way he did in Perth because if he did he would have been dealt to and very painfully.

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I think Gits, Drew & perhaps Rabbit (yet to really see with Rabbit) have shown that France can turn immature self centred little boys into men

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I think drew grew a helluva lot before France.

And the jury's out on O'Connor.

C'mon the

vCash
    Have to a admit, if it's true about Giteau becoming a new man, that's a great loss to Aussie rugby

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?