Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Force v Brumbies Round 4 - Pre Game Thread

Player
    vCash
    I had just read that a potential prop had flown in last week, on the green and gold forum.
    So I'm assuming from NSW

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by G_Beard View Post
    A large young man flew over last week and was at the Force match on Friday.
    Not sure if he is signed, but he was in a Force polo.
    Okay - everyone to the crowd pic to find a prop in a Force polo, who shall be called Wally (not AJ) until we find out who it is.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    there was a wally featured on inside cover in this mornings " worst"

vCash
    I don't think we need a prop who's a wally

C'mon the

vCash
    BRUMBIES flyhalf Matt Toomua has warned former teammate Zack “Sherlock” Holmes he’ll be going to great bluffing lengths to prevent him from decoding his backline calls this Friday.

Western Force five-eighth Holmes was a thorn in the Brumbies’ side during their trial match in January, constantly listening out for what his old Super Rugby side might be planning next.

With deductive skills to rival his namesake, Holmes then relayed the impending moves to his teammates — helping the Force to a 31-21 victory.

But Holmes may have showed his hand a little early, as Toomua will be going to Moriarty-lengths to conceal his plans when the two sides meet at Canberra Stadium on Friday night.

“Zack and Ian (Prior) know our systems quite well, we heard them call out our plays during the trial match,” an amused Toomua said. “They knew exactly what was going on.

“So we might change the calls, or just double bluff them, we’ll have to wait and see ...”

But it’s not just the Brumbies’ systems that Holmes is familiar with. Having played second fiddle to Toomua at the Brumbies in 2012 and 2013, the duo have an intimate knowledge of each other’s styles.

“He knows my game well. I know his game quite well,” Toomua said.

“Having that inside knowledge on a guy like Zack helps, and I’m sure he’d say the same thing about me. There’s a mutual respect.”

The Brumbies are sitting on top of the Australian conference with two wins from three games — five points clear of the fourth-placed Force.

“And coming up against Australian teams always helps,” Toomua said.

“It’s much more than just a normal win. You’re actually taking points off a team in your conference which is really important, especially a team like the Force who came so close to the finals last year.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/a...-1227246623346

vCash
    Guy Millar is the man who is rumoured t have been brought over.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    So what's wrong with Jo Savage for prop? Jo's been great in the NRC, been really solid, even captain, so why isn't he slotted straight in as sub?

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    So what's wrong with Jo Savage for prop? Jo's been great in the NRC, been really solid, even captain, so why isn't he slotted straight in as sub?
    Every time someone mentions his name, someone else mentions that he doesn't want to do Super Rugby for various reasons - perhaps that still holds?

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    Guy Millar is the man who is rumoured t have been brought over.

Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Confirmed Guy is training with the team, no contact as yet. Joe has work commitments. That is the official status quo.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF1964 View Post
    Okay - everyone to the crowd pic to find a prop in a Force polo, who shall be called Wally (not AJ) until we find out who it is.
    Where's the crowd pic?

vCash

Force to tighen defence

Nick Taylor
    March 4, 2015, 7:27 am

Western Force will go back to basics and their trademark gritty defensive game when they clash with Australian Super Rugby conference leaders Brumbies in Canberra on Friday.

Coach Michael Foley had said he would be tweaking this year's game plan in a bid to score more tries and pick up all-important bonus points.

But after two consecutive losses the Force must now do what they did best last season and produce the hard-nosed defence that frustrates and slows down opposition, forcing them into errors and turnovers.

It's not pretty but they showed how effective it is in the first-round win over the Waratahs.

They will also need to get their kick-chase line in order after it went missing in the 42-13 loss to the Hurricanes.

Experienced scrum-half Alby Mathewson is confident they can fix the problems.

"We pride ourselves in our defence which basically has been our trademark," the former All Black said.

"It's about not over-complicating things, just going back to what we know.

"When we defend well we attack well, so it's just making sure we shore that up.

"Defence is an attitude and we have to make sure that when we are under pressure we stay relaxed.

"At times (against the Hurricanes) we were worried about the next play and not the here and now. It's an easy fix.

"Broken play came about by not sticking to our chase line. We had practised well but for some reason we didn't apply it in the game.

"That's the frustrating thing, the pleasing thing is they are easy fixes. We have addressed them and we'll be better for it."

Eastwood prop Guy Millar has been training with the Force as they search for a replacement for Francois van Wyk who picked up a season-ending pectoral muscle injury against the Reds.

The former Australian schoolboy representative and national academy member also spent time in the Waratahs academy and played every game for Greater Sydney Rams in last year's National Rugby Championship.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...ighen-defence/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    Where's the crowd pic?
    http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=36280

vCash
    I would like to have heard that Hodgo gave them a really good kick up their arses!

vCash
    Brumbies want to starve Honey Badger

AAP
    March 5, 2015, 1:09 pm

The Brumbies will aim to starve a "meat"-ravenous Honey Badger by winning the battle up front against the Western Force on Friday.

In his first Super Rugby game since his Japan sabbatical, Nick "Honey Badger" Cummins will take to the field like a rat-up-a-drain-pipe when he lines up opposite Wallabies wing-spot rival Henry Speight at Canberra Stadium.

The Brumbies will look to starve Western Force's Nick Cummins out of Friday's Super Rugby clash.

Yet despite the hype surrounding the return of Australian rugby's lovable larrikin, Brumbies captain Stephen Moore says it's the Force forwards his team must contain to come out on top.

"They've got a really good, well drilled forward pack... it's going to provide plenty of challenges," said Moore.

That said, Moore and Brumbies head coach Stephen Larkham are wary of the infectious attitude Cummins brings to the Force following their 42-13 thumping from the Hurricanes.

"He will give them a great boost. He's a great character so that will give them a lot," Moore said.

Added Larkham: "He's a world class player. They've missed him in the first couple of rounds.

"The real strength with Cummins is that it doesn't matter who is in front of him, or if no one is in front of him, he gets his hands on the ball and runs as hard as he can. He's very aggressive."

While the battle at the breakdown will also be aggressive, both sides have pinpointed the Brumbies' attacking maul as a key focus.

This season's lineout drives have yielded the Brumbies at least one try a game.

"No doubt they will be looking to stop our maul," Moore said.

"The more something goes well for you, the more attention the opposition pays to it."

To Force coach Michael Foley, stopping the Brumbies' lineout drive is crucial.

"There's no question that we've got to be good in that area," he said.

"The whole contact area generally. We've dropped off in the last two weeks."

The Brumbies named an unchanged side following last week's 20-15 win over the Rebels.

There were murmurs they might rotate some players due to a short six-day turnaround, but Larkham instead opted for stability.

"It's always good to put the same team out on the paddock two weeks in a row," he said.

"It gives the guys confidence and strengthens combinations."

Brumbies: Robbie Coleman, Henry Speight, Tevita Kuridrani, Christian Lealiifano, Joe Tomane, Matt Toomua, Nic White, Ita Vaea, Jarrad Butler, Scott Fardy, Sam Carter, Rory Arnold, Ben Alexander, Stephen Moore, Scott Sio. Reserves: Josh Mann-Rea, JP Smith, Ruan Smith, Jordan Smiler, Blake Enever, Michael Dowsett, James Dargaville, Jesse Mogg.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...-honey-badger/

vCash
    The Badger is Back!

Nick ‘Honey Badger’ Cummins will make his on-field return when the Western Force takes on the ACT Brumbies at Canberra’s GIO Stadium on Friday night (6 March).

Cummins was not included in last Friday’s match after recovering from recent ankle surgery, with the fully fit fan-favourite named return to the line-up on the left wing. Fellow winger Marcel Brache will start on the right hand side, with Luke Morahan starting at fullback.

In the forwards, Chris Alcock returns from a leg injury to start at openside flanker, allowing Brynard Stander to move to the blindside in place of the injured Angus Cottrell (ankle).

On the Force bench, Ian Prior will play his 50th Asteron Life Super Rugby match against the side he played 25 matches for between 2012 and 2013. Big lock Wilhelm Steenkamp is also in line to make his first appearance for the Force in the 2015 Super Rugby campaign.

2015 Asteron Life Super Rugby – ACT Brumbies vs Western Force
    1. Pekahou Cowan
    2. Nathan Charles
    3. Tetera Faulkner
    4. Sam Wykes (c)
    5. Steve Mafi
    6. Brynard Stander
    7. Chris Alcock
    8. Ben McCalman
    9. Alby Mathewson
    10. Zack Holmes
    11. Nick Cummins
    12. Solomoni Jnr Rasolea
    13. Kyle Godwin
    14. Marcel Brache
    15. Luke Morahan

Reserves
    16. Heath Tessmann
    17. Chris Heiberg
    18. Oliver Hoskins
    19. Wilhelm Steenkamp
    20. Kane Koteka
    21. Ian Prior
    22. Sias Ebersohn
    23. Luke Burton

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast