Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Force v Rebels - Round 5

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    WESTERN FORCE MEDIA RELEASE
    Friday, 13 March 2015

FORCE EDGED OUT BY REBELS AT THE ‘FORCE FIELD’

The Western Force has gone down to the Melbourne Rebels, 21-17, at the ‘Force Field’ (nib Stadium) tonight.

The Rebels got off to the better start, scoring two first-half tries for a 15-0 lead, before an Alby Mathewson quick tap on half-time led to his opening try for the home side and reduced the deficit to eight points.

While the Force fought their way back into the match in the second half through a try to Tetera Faulkner and a perfect goal-kicking display from Luke Burton, Mike Harris’ ability to keep the scoreboard ticking over with two second half penalty goals was enough to give his side the four-point victory.

Force lock Steve Mafi was named Haigh & Hastings Man of the Match for his ability to break the line throughout the game, while Burton was also hungry for the ball and dangerous in attack from fullback.

The Force will travel to South Africa tomorrow ahead of their two-match tour against the Bulls (Saturday, 21 March) and Sharks (Saturday, 28 March).

Tickets to Western Force’s next home match against the Cheetahs on Saturday, 11 April are now available! Visit www.ticketmaster.com.au.

WHAT THEY SAID… Michael Foley, Western Force Head Coach
    “We’re getting moments that are ‘good rugby’ and against a side [like the Rebels] that prides itself on its defence, they had a bye last week, they were fresh and I thought we finished over the top of them. But you’ve got to come into the game and fire from the start; you’ve got to win those early battles and we know that, but it’s where we fell down tonight. Coming back after half-time we fought our way back into the game and basically controlled the game, but being able to be accurate and also aggressive up front is going to make a difference for us.

“Early in the game there were a number of times when we had good possession and we were turned over at the breakdown because we were too slow to get there. We were a little bit inaccurate in that area. By contrast, in defence we weren’t getting off the line, we were soaking up the metres and they were getting momentum, and they made good at those opportunities.”

2014 Asteron Life Super Rugby – Week Five
    Friday, 13 March 2015 at the ‘Force Field’ (nib Stadium), Perth Kick-off: 7pm Crowd: 9,972

Melbourne Rebels 27 (Mike Harris, Dom Shipperley tries; Mike Harris 1/2 conversions, 3/3 penalty goals) defeated Western Force 15 (Alby Mathewson, Tetera Faulkner tries; Luke Burton 2/2 conversions, 1/1 penalty goal)

Half time: Rebels 15-7
    Yellow Cards: Nil
    Red Cards: Nil
    Referee: Rohan Hoffmann

Western Force
    Western Force: 1. Pekahou Cowan, 2. Nathan Charles, 3. Tetera Faulkner, 4. Sam Wykes (c), 5. Steve Mafi, 6. Brynard Stander, 7. Chris Alcock, 8. Ben McCalman, 9. Alby Mathewson, 10. Zack Holmes, 11.Nick Cummins, 12. Solomoni Jnr Rasolea, 13. Kyle Godwin, 14. Marcel Brache, 15. Luke Burton.

Reserves: 16. Heath Tessmann, 17. Chris Heiberg, 18. Oliver Hoskins, 19. Adam Coleman, 20. Kane Koteka, 21. Ian Prior, 22. Sias Ebersohn, 23. Mitchell Scott.

Head Coach: Michael Foley

Melbourne Rebels
    1. Toby Smith, 2. Pat Leafa, 3. Laurie Weeks, 4. Luke Jones, 5. Lopeti Timani, 6. Sean McMahon, 7. Scott Fuglistaller, 8. Scott Higginbotham, 9. Nick Stirzaker, 10 Jack Debreczeni, 11. Tom English, 12. Mitch Inman, 13. Tamati Ellison, 14. Dom Shipperley, 15. Mike Harris.

Reserves: 16. Tom Sexton, 17. Cruze Ah-Nau, 18. Paul Alo-Emile, 19. Steve Cummins, 20. Colby Fainga’a, 21. Luke Burgess, 22. Bryce Hegarty, 23. Sefanaia Naivalu.

Head Coach: Tony McGahan

BY THE CLOCK
    Min Score
    5 The Melbourne Rebels build pressure with repeat phases in their attacking 22m. Fullback Mike Harris finds some space at first receiver to skip through under the posts. He converts his own try. 7-0
    22 From a scrum on halfway the Rebels find space from a Mitch Inman bust before offloading to Dom Shipperley to score. Harris misses the conversion. 12-0
    32 Hooker Heath Tessmann is penalised for not releasing the Rebels player. Harris kicks the penalty. 15-0
    36 After sustained pressure inside the attacking quarter, the Force receives a penalty when the Rebels are caught offside. Scrumhalf Alby Mathewson takes the quick tap from five metres out and scoots over next to the posts. Luke Burton converts. 15-7
    HALF TIME 15-7
    47 The Rebels are penalised for being offside. Burton kicks the penalty. 15-10
    60 Oliver Hoskins is penalised for being offside. Harris kicks the penalty. 18-10
    65 The Force chasers are penalised for being in an offside position from the midfield kick. Harris kicks the penalty. 21-10
    74 The Force wins their lineout five metres from the Rebels line. After grafting the ball forward for three phases, prop Tetera Faulkner burrows over for a try under the posts. Burton converts. 21-17

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    "Moments of good rugby" - yep, moments is right. One or two bright lights in a sea of mediocrity.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    I completely underestimated how much impact the loss of Hodgo would have on our game. We miss him at the breakdown but miss his leadership even more. I just can't fathom why Foley chose Wykes as replacement captain. What is he seeing that I'm not?

Ditto with Kyle at 13 tbh - could this season be potentially ruining his chances of making it to the RWC?

vCash
    Much as I can't stand Higginbotham - he's a mouthy, nuisance of player that continually does cynical bits of play - but he does give his team leadership, which is something that the Force is desperately lacking at the moment. Doesn't even look like Wykes is enjoying being in the role...............or is he just in one of those form slumps...? Would definitely have Mafi and Coleman in the locks, and pick someone else as Captain - I always think Mathewson wouldn't be a bad choice, as long as he controls his temper..??

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    All this talk about loss of players is an excuse. Last year, they shouted long and loud about how they played for each other and they were not a team of champions, however who is really missing from the mix this year?
    KBomb is a loss to our scrum, no doubt. Tets would be riding pine if he were here
    Jayden at Fullback, I don't think anybody realizes how much we miss him

Everybody else is fringe or less.

This season, who do we miss through injury
    Hodgo for sure
    Gus brings a lot of aggression and power to our game

After that I'm struggling to come up with a name that is a genuine loss

And yet we're playing like shit.

I contend that they only THOUGHT they were playing for each other when really it was just a couple of lucky bounces which gave a normally reserved and timid team some balls for once.

My solution, find the cancer and cut it out, who are the players that squash the enthusiasm and confidence, replace them with blokes in the squad who will tear their own arm off to get the job done.

Some candidates
    Zack - he's lost his mojo, he receives the ball already running to the sideline where he's going to pass it, he kicks badly and short, even Sias is better at this point.
    Alby - I don't care how good his pedigree is, Ian Prior put on a clinic for him lat night and should start until Alby gets some fire back.
    Junior - isn't hitting the line at all, let alone using his bulk and pace, he's a waste of a number.
    Kyle - I don't think I'd bench him, because he's the only bastard who'll straighten the play, but that means he runs one out, with no support move him, or put different personnel around him

The positives
    Luke Burton - has done good things every time he touches the ball. Doesn't hand over possession meekly even though he kicks better than both our 10s. I don't care if he's got holes in his game at the moment, he's papering over them with sheer enthusiasm. Give him the 10.
    Steve Mafi, looks like he's handling the job of playing in a poor team well, give him more responsibility, get him calling the lineout with Adam Coleman next to him.
    Brynard Stander - ok he was a bit flat last night, but he's normally a bull at a gate, he plays 6 until Gus is fit.
    Benny Mac - quality

Other things to fix
    Our scrum is too low, yes we are the best team in the comp at scrummaging argentina style, however where is it getting us? When we scrum like that in defense, the ball sits at the opposition hooker's feet until we get booked for collapsing, bring it up 4 inches, keep the hips just as low and drive up and through. We might lose some, but we might not give away so many penalties too.

Give our wingers the ball. Honeybadger hit more rucks last night than he had runs with ball in hand (estimate, I don't have the actual numbers) Brache is actually pretty good value really, leave them there and give them some room to work.

When the ball is passed out of the flyhalf's hand it shouldn't be kicked by anybody but the winger, simply because the useless midfield grabber to the sideline is a default play of ours and only gives them the ball at about 40.

Clean the joint out. Give Nikoro a run, name Scott on the bench, maybe HB or Brache into 13 and Yamada on the wing, find a fullback to replace Burtin, because he should be 10 and bench Alby for Prior. I think that'll plug most of the holes I see, it might not work, but I refer to Albert Einstein's theory about doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "Edged out"

While the Club believes that crap we have a problem.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    No-one in the backs (or forwards) is running from deep and getting over the advantage line Paddy Dellit style. Everything's flat.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Senior Player
    vCash
    Gigs your last paragraph is spot on the money. Can't believe I may be agreeing with you for once. I honestly believe that we have the cattle to do the job. Foley needs to get a lot more savage on game day. Not performing get off!! Aimlessly kicking, get off and put someone on who can realise that our game plan is not working and change up the play ala albys try. Same game plan for a while now and it is not working.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    the game plan is not working because the players are failing to execute it.Our defence used to be a strong point-but they have been falling off tackles since the get go.Stander missed 3 in the first few minutes.Our midfield defence was woeful.Basic errors throughout the first half ensured the game plan could not be implemented
    Do the simple things right in future

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by boof1050 View Post
    Gigs your last paragraph is spot on the money. Can't believe I may be agreeing with you for once.
    sorry about that, but I think it might happen more often, it feels like grumpy GIGS is in for the duration.

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash

Tenth year, can you believe?

Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    "Edged out"

While the Club believes that crap we have a problem.
    Exactly.
    What's worse, the Club seems to believe that we (the supporters) are so dumb that we'll just keep on swallowing the nonsense that they spout to excuse another poor performance by the Force.

vCash
    Rtyttfutvuyvuyvhjvoinoin
    Okpojtvgcutviuubiybiybiybinihbcexrezrestetrchytvht vujhooijniubihbbjhvtcyrtxtezreawvuybubkjnkjnkjnijn ijnkjnknkjnkjnkjbiubuyvuyvuyvtuvugvgvugvugvuyvuyvu yvugvugvjgvjyvjyvuyvinijyfytdrttetdtrctcuyvybiunoi moimoiniugyts
    Uvuviyiiyyv

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    In English please Dom??!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WFDom View Post
    Rtyttfutvuyvuyvhjvoinoin
    Okpojtvgcutviuubiybiybiybinihbcexrezrestetrchytvht vujhooijniubihbbjhvtcyrtxtezreawvuybubkjnkjnkjnijn ijnkjnknkjnkjnkjbiubuyvuyvuyvtuvugvgvugvugvuyvuyvu yvugvugvjgvjyvjyvuyvinijyfytdrttetdtrctcuyvybiunoi moimoiniugyts
    Uvuviyiiyyv
    Apologies, I've been using my 4 year olds iPad over the last few days.

It appears she just posted her first comment. Must remember to close browser eh

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    Lot of good points. So far I haven't seen anyone point out Tetera Faulkner's numerous turnovers going into contact. Must have had around 6 last night. Won't watch a replay of that but he's carrying in one hand and leading with that arm. Seemed like the Rabble were aware and targeting the ball. Couple of times he tried to cover with the other arm and still had it jolted loose. Basics.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast