Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Force v Bulls Round 6

vCash
    Some team comparisons:

Starting XV:
    BULLS: 1077 SXV caps; 10 Test Players - 206 caps.
    FORCE: 746 SXV caps; 8 (6W/1AB/1T) Test Players - 84 caps
    *Every Test experienced player except Hodgo.

Benches:
    BULLS: 439 SXV caps; 4 Test Players - 138 caps.
    FORCE: 268 SXV caps; 0 Test Players.

Packs:
    BULLS: 902kg
    FORCE: 892kg

Outweighed by 10kg in pack.
    Fairly even after Front Row replacements.

Bulls - lots of SXV rugby and Test experience.

Hopeful of further improvement and a good showing with glimpses of what the group does well.
    Not confident of a win.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

Western Force not scared of Bulls in Pretoria

The Western Force are adamant they have nothing to fear when they travel to Pretoria to take on the Bulls on Saturday.

The Bulls have built Loftus Versfeld into a fortress over the years, with visiting teams often struggling to win at the high-altitude venue.

But one team they haven't been able to scare is the Force, who have been highly competitive in their three visits to Pretoria.

In 2007, the Force notched a shock 30-27 win over the Bulls.

In 2009, they pushed the Bulls all the way before falling 32-29, while in 2013 (36-26 loss) they were by no means blown away.

The Bulls will start as the hottest of favourites on Saturday night, especially with the Force riding a four-match losing run that has already put a major dent in their finals hopes.

But Force scrumhalf Alby Mathewson said his team was quietly confident of causing an upset.

"It's not like we're worried about playing in Pretoria or anything like that," Mathewson said.

"We are confident we can go there and do the job.

"Confidence in the group is still high. We still believe in what we're doing and how we do it.

"It's just about getting rid of those little inaccuracies."

The Force opened their season on the best possible note with a bonus-point win over NSW in Sydney.

But four straight losses have seen them slump to 12th heading into tough games against the Bulls and Sharks (Durban).

Mathewson said although the players haven't been talking much about their precarious finals hopes, it still remained in the back of their minds.

"Obviously we would have liked to be in a better position than we are now," he said.

"But the back end of the season is heavily loaded with home games, and there's no reason why we can't push for it (finals)."

The Bulls sit seventh on the table with a 2-2 record. Link

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    This will all come down to how well our scrum does! If we get monstered, which is probable after the prior performances, we will be have no chance. If we can hold our own we have every chance of snatching a win in Pretoia.
    Our boys are desperate and will be throwing the kitchen sink at them this weekend. With Burto and Kyle we may just have a little bit more starch in the centres.
    Go the Force! Force by 3!

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moono74 View Post
    Really how many times do we have to say Godwin 12. I want Brache at 13 and Mitch Scott on the wing. Mitch didn't even make the match day squad. Just slap him in the face why don't you!

Nice that Koteka gets a chance but has Alcock injured himself? 2015 continues to be a puzzling year working out what the Force are trying to do.
    I have to say, Mitchell Scott is ABSOLUTELY not proven in a game.

He has had 20 minutes total and apparently he is the saviour on the wing. I don't buy it yet.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post

He has had 20 minutes total and apparently he is the saviour on the wing. I don't buy it yet.
    Totally agree.

We see Mitchell Scott's efforts for 5-10 minutes, occasionally, yet the Coaching Panel and Hodgo (the team selectors) who see him all week have just got it SO WRONG!!

Gobsmackingly naive.

Like it or lump it, the Force will try and do the best with the talent they have available - week-in-week-out.

vCash

Fair point, but look at the performances of our wingers so far this season - surely cant be any worse, so why not give him a go?

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kipper_mckinnon View Post
    Fair point, but look at the performances of our wingers so far this season - surely cant be any worse, so why not give him a go?
    sure i guess

I would prefer to see our Japanese import on the wing. He is proven in a professional competition and has been proven to be a good finisher.

Brache on the bench (centres/wing replacement) then have Scott/Japan on the wing, and drop Junior?

Senior Player
    vCash
    With the ref we've been given i just can't see us getting a fair go at the scrums. And also a skipper who seems to me to be too afraid to say anything to the ref i think its going to be a major uphill battle.This ref is the clown who help start all the bad press about our scrum. After the reds game i think the front row have started to become more tentative because the they don't know whether they're packing correctly or not in the refs eyes.

vCash
    sure i guess

I would prefer to see our Japanese import on the wing. He is proven in a professional competition and has been proven to be a good finisher.

Brache on the bench (centres/wing replacement) then have Scott/Japan on the wing, and drop Junior?
    Agreed Palitu - drop Junior completely and give Scott and the Japanese fella a go

Rookie
    vCash
    I love giving Kane the opportunity and I understand the Mafi move to 6 given current circumstances, but it just proves that our flankers aren't that good. Yes, Mafi has done well for us, but he is not a flanker, he is a lock. I don't think he has the work rate to play #6. If we did have a #6, he and coleman would give us a strong set of locks who get get around the pitch; but apparently we don't, so in he goes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agrugger View Post
    I love giving Kane the opportunity and I understand the Mafi move to 6 given current circumstances, but it just proves that our flankers aren't that good. Yes, Mafi has done well for us, but he is not a flanker, he is a lock. I don't think he has the work rate to play #6. If we did have a #6, he and coleman would give us a strong set of locks who get get around the pitch; but apparently we don't, so in he goes.
    Mafi played mostly as a 6 with Leicester Tigers.
    The combination of Wykes, Coleman, Mafi and McCalman is there to counter the Bulls' lineout.
    With McCalman, Mafi also gives us 2 bullocking ball carries.

Gus Cottrell (our best 6) returning from ongoing ankle niggle so >40 minutes on return a good option.
    Hoping he comes back well as we've been missing him.

Stander has been found wanting as run-on lacking both involvement and effectiveness over 80 minutes.
    He was especially quiet in the game against the Rebels. Maybe he's carrying some kind of niggling injury???
    But a good bench option when he's on song.

Agree with your comments re Kane. Will be great to see him grow in confidence and add tackling to his skill-set at this level.

vCash
    Stander has indeed been carrying an injury and in an ideal world would have missed the last game or two. So really he has done a great job!
    Chris has been a great 7 for us when on the pitch, you can't ever question his effort. Chris has also been carrying some niggles. The team for this week end has been picked purely and solely to combat the large SA boy's. Good luck and show us some heart!!

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Well even more reason to get the backs to step up and more involved! They're big enough boys as well and should be able to take some hard tackling. I just want the team that played the Tahs Round 1 to show up and play their socks off!

vCash
    We're in trouble for this one

Controversy corner

Senior Player
    vCash

Hello. My name is ... You killed .... Prepare to die.

I so hope that you are wrong, Rex - otherwise my humiliation will be boundless.

I am in Joburg this weekend.
    Tomorrow afternoon I will be at Loftus, in Main Stand Upper (i.e. west side), Block E - and surrounded by Yarpies.

Last time at Loftus, I barely escaped with my life.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast