Thread: Folau a Wallabies centre option

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Folau a Wallabies centre option

Darren Walton
    March 23, 2015, 11:09 am

Fullback Israel Folau is emerging as a serious World Cup outside centre option for the Wallabies after outpointing incumbent Tevita Kuridrani.

Handed dual responsibility by Wallabies coach Michael Cheika to counter attack from fullback and step into the centres for set plays, Folau delivered a masterclass in the NSW Waratahs' 28-13 defeat of the Brumbies on Sunday.

Brumbies coach Stephen Larkham suggested Kuridrani could be the best centre in the world when he re-signed with the franchise last week.

But Larkham was left lamenting how Folau beat four Brumbies defenders to break his season try-scoring duck, while healso set up NSW's other two five-pointers with classy involvement and offloads.

"I'm really enjoying being a lot closer to the action and yesterday's team performance was great and it's just good to be on the back-end of that, getting a bit of space out wide," said Folau on Monday.

"It's always nice to cross the line for a try but, for me, I was more satisfied by the work by the team and providing opportunities was something I was happy about."

In contrast, Kuridrani lent some weight to Wallaby great David Campese's criticism that "never passes the ball", before suffering a shoulder injury and departing Sydney with his right arm in a sling.

With Kuridrani facing scans and on-going uncertainty over Adam Ashley-Cooper's knee injury problem, Cheika will surely contemplate switching Folau from fullback to the centres for the Wallabies as they gear up for the World Cup later in the year.

Folau said "for sure" he'd be up for the challenge "if asked".

"It probably goes back to what's best for the team and, if given that opportunity, I'd try to make the most of it," he said.

"It's just unfortunate for Tevita. Hopefully his injury is not too bad.

"I'm not sure where Adam's at at the moment but as a team we're hopeful that he'll be back in the (Waratahs) side as soon as possible."

Folau was enjoying his staged positional transition for the Waratahs.

"I'm trying to adapt as quick as I can according to the situations that we're in," Folau said.

"It's unfortunate that we lost Adam a couple of weeks ago and Cheik's probably seen it as the best thing for the team and I'm just trying to doing my role for the team."

Folau rated the Waratahs' commanding victory over the Brumbies as the champions' most powerful performance of the season.

It also reduced the Brumbies' lead over the Waratahs in the Australian conference to six points.

"We hadn't spoken about being on top of the conference but for most players it probably sits in the back of their mind."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...centre-option/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Player
    vCash
    Kuridrani a wing filling in at centre. Folau an attacking force at fullback and wing not even close to be a centre.
    You just needed to watch the clash between Smith and Fekitoa to see just how much Kuridrani and Folau have to learn.

vCash
    Cool story bro

C'mon the

vCash
    Fekitoa is still in nappies. I hope and pray the allblacks pick him.

Folau is the only wallaby back that can catch a high ball (incredibly)........leave him at 15

Controversy corner

vCash
    Folau did pass the ball a couple of times in the game against the Brumbies, so it might not be a completely lost cause. The issue I have is twofold.
    1 Rex is right, there's nobody else in Australia that can be trusted under the high ball. There MIGHT be some untested options, Dane for example is pretty good. You don't try green rookies in a world cup year unless it's absolutely necessary.
    2 Kurindrani is doing a perfectly good job at outside centre, he's reliable in defense and damaging running the crash ball, if you replace him with Folau, you lose two capable players and only replace one of them.

It might be different if we had buckets full of outside backs as good or better than Folau to replace him at fullback, but that simply isn't the case.

C'mon the

vCash
    Kuridrani performed very well for us at 13 last test season

He seemed to sustain a very nasty injury yesterday. has anybody heard what happened and how long he is out. It looked like his season was over when he went off

Controversy corner

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Folau had one good game after half a dozen average ones. Keep Kuridrani at 13.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Messup View Post
    Kuridrani performed very well for us at 13 last test season

He seemed to sustain a very nasty injury yesterday. has anybody heard what happened and how long he is out. It looked like his season was over when he went off
    Couple of months is the rumour...damaged his AC joint.

vCash
    AC joint. No wuckers. A bit of rest.
    He can needle up for the RWC final

Controversy corner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Folau had one good game after half a dozen average ones. Keep Kuridrani at 13.
    Even superstars are human after all.

Folau > Rest of Wallabies outside backs.

But I wouldn't play him at 13.

Last edited by jargan83; 24-03-15 at 05:20.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Even superstars are human after all.

Folau > Rest of Wallabies outside backs.

But I wouldn't play him at 13.
    The game changes a bit if Kuridrani isn't fit though. Folau will play, there's no doubt about that. Should he play 13 at International level where he's untested and there's a risk that good form at Super Rugby level won't be enough?

The answer lies in who else is available and where they are best placed.
    So, the hypothetical for today is, assuming Kuridrani is out for the long term and can't play RWC who comes into the squad and where does that push Folau.

Looking around the squads at who plays 13 or back three and picking the best options who aren't already wearing gold consistently I come up with this

Reds.....actually I can't for the life of me remember who plays 13 regularly for the Reds, Knowing Dick it's probably been a turnstile. Maybe Chris F-S or Taps, both of whom have been shown wanting at the higher level
    Tahs - AAC, has good experience and is certainly a capable player, with age Tevita has been a better choice of late but he could hold up his end of the bargain
    Rebels - well it's Tamati Ellison who's been playing there but Mitch Inman would make a good outside centre and would be a good young player to try out, maybe not in a RWC year though
    Force - Kyle has been playing it and I think we can universally agree hasn't settled in yet. I wouldn't pick him above some of the other options that are available.

For me the 13 would be AAC for reliability or Mitch Inman as a smokey.

As for Outside Backs
    Reds - Again, I mustnt be paying much attention to them, Ah crap I just looked at the squad Chris Kuridrani, James O'Connor and Karmichael Hunt are listed as outside backs and there are a couple of good options there.
    Tahs - Well Rob Horne is already on the Radar, but not really an option for Fullmack as for that Nayvaoro bloke, he doesn't look particularly secure holding onto the ball, he's shown a bit of dropsy when I've seen him, not really an option.
    Brums - Robbie Coleman seems to be doing OK at fullback, would we use him? Jesse Mogg has been there before, not as good as Folau, but does the team lose less putting him in 15 or AAC in 13?
    Rebels - Tommy Kingston and Jonah Placid are the names that spring to mind. Neither are ready for the step up.

After the discussion, I've come to the conclusion that Centre is better covered than fullback. Bring AAC in to cover the centres, name O'Connor, Inman and maybe another back three player in the extended squad and consider keeping folau at fullback.

C'mon the

Apprentice
    vCash
    Have to agree with the notion of not weakening two spots by putting someone untried at centre when no one has put their hand up at fullback. Would leave Folau at the back. Need a crash ball centre I think at 13 if going with two playmakers at 10/12.