Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Force -v- Chiefs, Round 11 - Cowan's Century

Senior Player
    vCash
    My Two bobs worth on the game is this: shit we came close, 2 missed goal kicks, 1 soft try to Nanai-Williams(Sias tackle just as soft) and we're in the game. Sias still kicking the ball away while attacking with overlaps i don't understand, Ian's tackle was a pure brain fart. His first start for along time and didn't seem to think hard enough about the situation. Ryan's game was a cracker. Would've loved to have seen Gus stay on i think we are much stronger with him. Angus Gardner pure fuckwit. I've never seen reffing worse than this year. I've said it often that we have the cattle to kick some ass we just have to take a risk and hello when there's little to play for we go good. I still don't see Sias or Zach fitting into that type of positive attacking play.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    I doesn't say much about the mental strength of the Force players when they can only lift because Hodgson is playing. I'm not going to blame Wykes's captaincy either; these guys have played the game all their lives and made it all the way through the club grades to Super Rugby and some even test rugby, yet they can't lift themselves for their long-suffering fans who turn up to every game?
    You look at the number of games this year though, where better decisions on the pitch could have got us over the line. I think having had Hodgo on the pitch might well have influenced these games. I've nothing against Sam Wykes, he's been a good servant and player for the Force, but as I've said before, I don't think he was the right choice to stand in as Captain this year.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I am not a fan of Sias, mainly because I think he shy (wary of the contact) but I did think that was one of his better attacking games (sans the kick in the 79th minute and a poor missed tackle that led to a try). I was disappointed by how poorly the line out performed without Sam, we lost 4 or so of our own throws. We still have a lot of work to do on our set pieces - they should be the platform for attacking raids instead of moments of nervousness and disappointment.

Regardless it was a bloody gutsy effort!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post
    Sias did some good things. And I don't think he'd be in the team if he was not doing what Foley has asked of him.
    I agree Sias does do good things - he did some excellent tactical kicks last week, but the percentage of bad kicking options far outweighs the God stuff he does do. And if he is doing it under instruction then where does the blame lie?

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    God stuff indeed,Valc--bet he's praying like crazy the kicks are OK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post
    Louwrens was awesome!
    He was indeed! With Koteka making a good showing in previous weeks also, it makes you wonder about the other talent we may have waiting in the wings, who haven't been given a game yet.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Like I just said in SOS post give any fit player a shot nothing to loose as the talent that has had a shot has not let us down... Go WA Talent

vCash
    Is it just me, or did the Perth Spirit do okay last season?

There's a few good'uns there surely. I'm sure that Dillyn Leyds kid must've turned into a handy Super Rugby player by now, maybe we should give him a- wait, what; Stormers you say?

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    Is it just me, or did the Perth Spirit do okay last season?

There's a few good'uns there surely. I'm sure that Dillyn Leyds kid must've turned into a handy Super Rugby player by now, maybe we should give him a- wait, what; Stormers you say?
    So So True Chibi and what was so embarassing was he played so well in the game against us.. Good on him for taking the challenge So as I have said give the challenge to all the young guys and they might surprise us

vCash
    I actually wonder if it'll be déjà vu when Yamada plays against us for the Tokyo team in the expended Super Rugby...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
    I was disappointed by how poorly the line out performed without Sam, we lost 4 or so of our own throws.
    I was thinking the same thing. I know Sam calls the lineout, and it I'mpRoved once Willie got on the field, so I'd think Coleman hasn't been groomed to call yet.

Once Willie got on, things improved, so I'd think he'll start this week.

C'mon the

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. I know Sam calls the lineout, and it I'mpRoved once Willie got on the field, so I'd think Coleman hasn't been groomed to call yet.

Once Willie got on, things improved, so I'd think he'll start this week.
    Our lineouts have been poor for most of the year. Especially when we go to the back.

vCash
    The loss against the chiefs was easier to stomach than previous. Much more ball movement out to wings. Better passing from 9 cutting out the inside defence of the chiefs which the commentators noticed.

The up and unders were utilised several times and were spilled once twice by the chiefs, obviously a deliberate tactic, not sure about doing it right at the death though. The decision to take angus off seemed unorthodox and we payed the price having a 7 man scrum and McCalman not pushing and watching for the chiefs player to run it from the back of the scrum which resulted in the penalty try.

I can't see why we can't put in that type of performance every week against a weaker team & when we have a full compliment on the field.

Congrats to pek on 100, louwrens on his debut being thrown in the deep end and performing so well and matt for a full match of his usual intensity on his return from injury. Godwin fell off a few tackles, maybe it's time for him to move on to another club for the sake of his own game. The badger was caught out of position in defence on a couple of occasions.

Hope to see a similar performance against the blues.

Non sunt multiplicanda entia sine necessitate

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    WESTERN FORCE MEDIA RELEASE
    Friday, 24 April 2015

DEFIANT WESTERN FORCE EDGED OUT BY CHIEFS

The Western Force has fought back from a 22-point deficit to get to within striking distance of the Chiefs at Waikato Stadium tonight, before eventually succumbing 35-27 in a high-scoring encounter.

After being reduced to 14 men in the 29th-minute following a red card to scrumhalf Ian Prior for a tip tackle on Tim Nanai-Williams, the Force courageously worked their way back from 30-8 down to get within eight points of the home side at the final whistle.

In a match that marked Pek Cowan’s 100th Asteron Life Super Rugby match for the Western Force, both sides crossed for four tries apiece, with the boot of Chiefs flyhalf Marty McKenzie proving the difference with 15 points from the kicking tee.

Captain Matt Hodgson made a successful return to the Force line-up following a 12-week hamstring injury, immediately continuing on from his impressive 2014 form, including crossing for the side’s third try at the back of a rolling maul.

No.8 Ben McCalman and lock Steve Mafi continued to find ground for their side throughout the match, while Ryan Louwrens was strong in his Asteron Life Super Rugby debut, including breaking through the Chiefs’ line to set up Luke Morahan’s second half try.

The Force will now travel to Auckland to face the Blues on Saturday, 2 May.

Tickets to Western Force’s next home match against the NSW Waratahs on Saturday, 9 May are now available! Visit www.ticketmaster.com.au.

2015 Asteron Life Super Rugby – Week 11
    Friday, 24 April 2015 at Waikato Stadium, Hamilton Kick-off: 7.35pm (local)/3.35pm (AWST) Crowd: Not announced

Chiefs 35 (Charlie Ngatai, Hika Elliot, Tim Nanai-Williams tries, penalty try; Marty McKenzie 3/4 conversion, 3/3 penalty goals) defeated Western Force 27 (Angus Cottrell, Luke Morahan, Matt Hodgson, Heath Tessmann tries; Luke Burton 2/4 conversions, 1/1 penalty goals)

Half time: Chiefs 23-8
    Yellow Cards: Nil
    Red Cards: Ian Prior (29 min)
    Referee: Angus Gardner

Western Force
    1. Pekahou Cowan, 2. Nathan Charles, 3. Tetera Faulkner, 4. Steve Mafi, 5. Adam Coleman, 6. Angus Cottrell, 7. Matt Hodgson (c), 8. Ben McCalman, 9. Ian Prior, 10. Sias Ebersohn, 11. Nick Cummins, 12. Luke Burton, 13. Kyle Godwin, 14. Luke Morahan, 15. Dane Haylett-Petty.

Reserves: 16. Heath Tessmann, 17. Chris Heiberg, 18. Oliver Hoskins, 19. Wilhelm Steenkamp, 20. Kane Koteka, 21. Ryan Louwrens, 22. Solomoni Jnr Rasolea, 23. Marcel Brache.

Head Coach: Michael Foley

Chiefs
    1. Mitchell Graham, 2. Hika Elliot, 3. Siate Tokolahi, 4. Matt Symons (c), 5. Brodie Retallick, 6. Johan Bardoul, 7. Sam Cane, 8. Michael Leitch, 9. Brad Weber, 10. Marty McKenzie, 11. Tim Nanai-Williams, 12. Sonny Bill Williams, 13. Charlie Ngatai, 14. Bryce Heem, 15. Tom Marshall.

Reserves: 16. Quentin McDonald, 17. Pauliasi Manu, 18. Ben Tameifuna, 19. Michael Fitzgerald, 20. Liam Squire, 21. Augustine Pulu, 22. Damian McKenzie, 23. Andrew Horrell.

Head Coach: Dave Rennie

BY THE CLOCK
    Min Score
    7 The Force is penalised for leaving their feet at the ruck. Marty McKenzie kicks the penalty goal. 3-0
    11 Chiefs lock Brodie Retallick penalised for dragging down Steve Mafi off the ball at the lineout. Luke Burton kicks the penalty. 3-3
    15 The Force build pressure with continual phases through the Chiefs quarter. The Force then play through the hands across the right side with Angus Cottrell crashing over out wide. Burton’s conversion attempt hits the upright. 3-8
    18 Nathan Charles is penalised for a high tackle on Brad Weber. McKenzie kicks the long-range penalty goal. 6-8
    19 From 60 metres out Retallick, Tim Nanai-Williams and Weber combine to put Charlie Ngatai in under the posts. McKenzie converts. 13-8
    25 Matt Hodgson penalised for not rolling away. McKenzie kicks the penalty goal. 16-8
    29 Ian Prior is handed a red card for a tip tackle on Nanai-Williams. 16-8
    39 After sustained pressure, Hika Elliot is at the ball of a driving maul to score under the posts. McKenzie adds the extras. 23-8
    HALF TIME 23-8
    47 Referee Angus Gardner awards a penalty try to an advancing Chiefs scrum. McKenzie converts the try. 30-8
    56 From a turnover, Ryan Louwrens breaks through before finding Kyle Godwin in support. Despite a desperate McKenzie tackle, Godwin is able to pop the ball to Luke Morahan to score in the corner. Burton adds the conversion from out wide. 30-15
    62 Charlie Ngatai is offside from a Tom Marshall knock on. The Force wins the lineout five metres out before Matt Hodgson touches down at the back of the rolling maul to score. Burton converts from out wide. 30-22
    66 Nanai-Williams beats four defenders down the left hand side to swan dive over for the try. McKenzie misses the conversion to the left. 35-22
    77 The Force wins its lineout five metres from the try line. After three phases they swing back to the right hand edge with Heath Tessmann charging over in the corner for his maiden Asteron Life Super Rugby try. Burton’s conversion shaves the upright but just misses. 35-27
    FULL TIME 35-27

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bunter View Post
    Yep agree with previous comments. Plenty of resolve shown by the Force. I'm sure, most appreciated by the long suffering fans. Shame about those bloody Rockingham types getting their 5 minutes of fame each game lol.
    aka Helbob here on TWF, love their work, very well travelled Force supporters and passionate local rugby stalwarts to boot, probably get some more air time at Eden Park on Saturday too

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast