Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Force v Blues Round 12

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Force v Blues Round 12

Scrumhalf Ryan Louwrens will make his Asteron Life Super Rugby run-on debut when the Western Force takes on the Auckland Blues at Eden Park on Saturday (2 May).

The 24-year-old Cottesloe half made an impressive tournament debut against the Chiefs in Hamilton last weekend, and will wear the ‘9’ jersey in place of the injured Alby Mathewson (knee) and Ian Prior, who is serving a three-week suspension.

Louwrens’ promotion is the only change to the starting XV, while lock Adam Coleman has been bracketed with Wilhelm Steenkamp after sustaining a knock to his shoulder against the Chiefs.

On the bench, Associates scrumhalf Justin Turner has been recalled to the Western Force squad following his strong form in the Pindan Premier Grade. Turner has previously played 11 matches with the Western Australian club, after being a member of the senior squad between 2009 and 2012, before returning to the club’s Wider Training Group last year after a series of knee injuries.

Prop Guy Millar, a member of the Force’s Wider Training Group, is set to make his Asteron Life Super Rugby debut from the bench, replacing Oliver Hoskins, who has succumbed to an ankle injury, while Ross Haylett-Petty has been listed for a potential return to the squad from the bench.

Head Coach Michael Foley says Louwrens’ run-on debut is a testament to his perseverance after returning from a knee reconstruction in 2014.

“This week is a great opportunity for Ryan,” he said. “After missing the majority of last season with a knee injury, he was thrown in the deep end against the Chiefs. In challenging circumstances, he performed with exceptional composure, which will give him confidence to rip in again this week.

“There was some good improvement in our ability to identify and take opportunities against the Chiefs. This week we take on an experienced Blues side that contains a number of dangerous ball runners. To that end, while maintaining our attack is a focus, our defence will be the foundation of a good performance.”

Blues v Western Force - Eden Park, Auckland - Saturday, 2 May 2015

1. Pek Cowan
    2. Nathan Charles
    3. Tetera Faulkner
    4. Steve Mafi
    5. Adam Coleman/Wilhem Steenkamp
    6. Angus Cotteral
    7. Matt Hodgson (c)
    8. Ben McCalman
    9. Ryan Louwrens
    10 Sias Ebershon
    11. Nick Cummins
    12. Luke Burton
    13. Kyle Godwin
    14. Luke Morahan
    15. Dane Haylett-Petty

16. Heath Tessman
    17. Chris Hieberg
    18. Guy Millar
    19. Wilhem Steenkamp/Ross Haylett-Petty
    20 Kane Koteka
    21. Justin Turner
    22. Marcel Brache
    23. Junior Rasolea

Watch the game live on Fox Sports 2 and Fox Sports 2HD from 1.30pm AWST, on Saturday

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Champion
    vCash
    Surely the boys are due a win... Give it your all Force

vCash
    Deep Blue Blokes to Bash Bland Blue Blokes..

cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

vCash
    Force bent on revenge against Blues

Justin Chadwick
    April 30, 2015, 9:41 am

Sweet revenge will be on the minds of Western Force players when they take on the Blues in Saturday's bottom-of-the-table Super Rugby clash in Auckland.

The Force were on track to make the finals last season, but a 40-14 home loss to the Blues played a major role in derailing their top-six hopes.

This year, both teams face a battle just to avoid the Super Rugby wooden spoon.

With six games remaining, the Force sit on bottom of the table on 10 points; one behind both the Blues and Reds.

Force flanker Angus Cottrell said last year's loss to the Blues would serve as a major spur in the lead-up to this week's re-match.

"(Assistant coach) Dave Wessels brought us into a meeting during the week and reminded us what happened last year," Cottrell said.

"We're going to use that as a bit of an incentive to beat the Blues this weekend.

"That's the way rugby goes - if someone beats you, you look to bounce back and get on top of them next time you see each other."

The Force haven't won since beating the NSW Waratahs in their season opener.

The subsequent nine-match losing run is the equal worst in the Force's 10-year history, and the team is desperate to snap back to the winners' list this week.

The Force were plucky against the Chiefs last Friday, scoring three tries in the second half despite losing scrumhalf Ian Prior to a red card in the 29th minute.

Prior's dangerous tip tackle earned him a three-match ban.

And with regular No.9 Alby Mathewson still sidelined through injury, 25-year-old Justin Turner has flown to New Zealand as back-up to third-stringer Ryan Louwrens.

Lock Adam Coleman (shoulder) and prop Ollie Hoskins (ankle) are in danger of missing this week's match, while lock Sam Wykes (foot) remains sidelined.

The Blues have been bolstered by the return of captain Jerome Kaino, and fellow All Blacks Charles Piutau and James Parsons.

Cottrell, who badly sprained his left ankle and fractured his fibula in a sickening incident during last year's loss to the Crusaders, has set his sights on producing a strong finish to the season.

"I wouldn't say the injury has held me back at all," Cottrell said.

"Physically and mentally I'm in the same frame of mind,. For me at the moment, it's about getting on the field and getting as many minutes as I can."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...against-blues/

Last edited by The InnFORCEr; 30-04-15 at 14:20.

vCash
    Wow!!! Potentially seven WA schooled boys in the team, pathway to Super 15 for WA kids. Yah!!!!!!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Rookie
    vCash
    What's the rules on when Coleman's status has to be decided on?

vCash
    Great team lineup for me. Wilhelm will steady the line out without Sam, like he did last week - it was struggling till he came on although I think Adam & Mafi are all good in the lineout. All these new formations in the team with new local guys coming has been a revelation it's just a pity it's coming about this late in the season. After giving the Chiefs a fright last week in yet another game they should have won, surely they can give the Blues a serve. It's payback time! And of course Hodgo is back!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Still no Zack....?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agrugger View Post
    What's the rules on when Coleman's status has to be decided on?
    I don't think there are any RULES, possibly some guidelines.

Even so, if he's bracketed like he is, they'll have until they finish warmup to make a decision.

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    Lets hope we stay with 15 players on the field. Trying to be positive but who are our match winners. I'm backing Steve Mafi.

Veteran
    vCash
    the problem with mafi in the locks is that it wears out your legs, so you don't have so much of his damaging running.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post
    Still no Zack....?
    Nope :-( He wasn't named in the touring squad

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post
    Still no Zack....?
    Something going on?

vCash
    I assume they felt there was adequate cover by moving Burto to 10, Kyle to 12 with Brache and Rasolea on the bench. SANZR only pay for so many seats on the flights, the rest is paid by the franchise, so they need to pick wisely.

vCash
    How's Alby? Or is his fist still in the changing room door at NIB?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast