Thread: Queensland Reds' Liam Gill could pause Super Rugby career to follow Olympic dream

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Queensland Reds' Liam Gill could pause Super Rugby career to follow Olympic dream

Date May 7, 2015 - 7:19AM
    Phil Lutton

Reds flanker Liam Gill, the forgotten man of the Wallaby openside shootout, could make the bold call to put his Super Rugby career on hold and take the plunge with the Sevens squad at next year's Rio Olympic Games.

Gill has been a shining light in an otherwise dull season for Queensland and stands to be one of the unluckiest players in the country when Michael Cheika announces his squad for the Rugby World Cup later this year.

Waratah Michael Hooper and the returning David Pocock are in the midst of a pistols at dawn duel for the Wallaby number seven jumper, while Gill seems to be playing on a park of his own as he resigns himself to his fate should both frontrunners remain healthy.

He has refused to be deterred, saying his job was to ensure Cheika had as big as headache as possible when he assembled his 31-man squad, which remains likely to contain two opensides instead of three.

"I know I can do it. I just have to keep playing good football. I understand how many good sevens there are in Australian rugby and I do have an idea where I sit with it," Gill said.

"I have to stay on the paddock and keep proving my point. I feel like I've done a good job of that this year, now I just need to finish off this last stretch of games."

But that's not all that's on the mind of the 22-year-old, who has yet to decide his future as he sees out the final year of his contract at the Reds. There is understandable interest to lure him away from Ballymore but not all from rival Super Rugby outfits.

Gill has a strong Sevens background and couldn't rave enough about his experiences at last year's Commonwealth Games in Glasgow. With Rio on the horizon, it presents a strong lure for the youngster, who combines strong work over the ball with skills around the park.

But it would come at a cost. Gill would be the first regular Super Rugby player to take the plunge, with Sevens coach Geraint John wanting his squad settled early in 2016. It would mean sitting out a season of duty for his franchise and the Wallabies.

Still, Gill is one of the few Super Rugby players who can imagine the draw of an Olympics after he lapped up village life in Glasgow and Rio stands as a genuine option as he agonises over his next move.

"I'd love to. Commonwealth Games was extraordinary. Olympics would be ridiculous. I would love to but it's an awkward time. We'd have to give up a year of Super and Test rugby. It's a very hard decision to make. I still think I have a lot to offer in the 15-man game, both provincially and at Test level," Gill said.

"When the next Olympics after that come around, I'll be getting on a bit. It has crossed my mind. In the next three or four months, I'll be weighing up what to do next year. It's (Olympics) certainly in the foreground. That is a decision that is still sitting there."

Gill doesn't have the luxury of time, admitting the clock was ticking for him to make a call.

"I'm still at the crossroads of what my next decision is going to be, whether that is 15s or Sevens. There is pressure from all angles to get a decision out but I don't know what I will be doing next year," Gill said.

"Geraint wants the squad settled and ready. You can't have two months to get ready for Olympic Sevens. It's fair what the coach wants. It's just tough if you want to try and do both. It's a big decision. It's a very big decision."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/re...06-gguekr.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Unluckiest man in Australian rugby when he's not picked?

Let's look at the current list of 7s eligible for a Wallaby contract
    Reds - Gill
    Tahs - Hooper
    Brums - Pocock
    Rebels - Fuglistaller (he's not eligible is he?)
    Force - Hdgo

Even counting that Fugli isn't eligible, Gill is well and truly at the bottom of that list, When we look at the Backups
    Reds - Would it be Schatz?
    Brumbies - That Jackson guy, the one who seems to play whichever backrow position which isn't covered, deputised pretty well when Pocock was out
    Melbourne - Who am I kidding, I don't even know!
    Force - Alcock

Gill is behind a good number of those names in my books.......I think he's wise to look at the olympics, because he's in a different postcode of being in with a chance.

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Interesting they are pushing him for a decision now, after the Aus Sevens team completely shafted themselves in Tokyo and may well not know if they've even qualified until the "losers" tournament mid-November...