Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Michael Foley vows to fight on at Force

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Michael Foley vows to fight on at Force

By Justin Chadwick
    May 8, 2015, 1:02 pm

Western Force coach Michael Foley is adamant he's still the right man for the job, saying he remains tight with the player group despite the team's poor results this season.

Pressure is starting to mount on Foley following his team's 10-match losing run - the worst in the Force's Super Rugby history.

The situation is in stark contrast to last season, when Foley led the Force to within a whisker of a maiden finals berth in just his second year in charge.

Foley is contracted to the Force until the end of the 2017 season, and his position appears safe for the time being.

The former Wallabies hooker says he has no intentions of walking away from the job, and he's confident the team's fortunes will soon change for the better.

"I'm as determined as I've ever been," Foley said ahead of Saturday night's clash with the NSW Waratahs in Perth.

"Hanging on for the sake of tenure is a waste of time. I'm not overly concerned about that.

"But I am very focused on trying to deliver for the people who have done the right thing by us.

"I'm very positive about the way we're tackling things."

Foley's short-lived stint as Waratahs coach came to an end in 2012 following an eight-match losing run and rumours of player unrest.

But the situation appears different at the Force, where he enjoys support from the player group despite the lean on-field results.

"I certainly feel like the relationship with the players is strong," Foley said.

"I've seen groups under less pressure fracture.

"We're challenging each other and we're staying tight.

"We're honest with each other. We're not having cuddles in the corners when we play games like last week (a 41-24 loss to the Blues).

"But the thing I'm most proud about is they're staying at their work. If they keep doing that, the results will come."

The last-placed Force haven't tasted victory since their shock round-one win over the Waratahs in Sydney.

Foley is confident he has the game plan to bring down the Waratahs for a third straight time, but he knows it will only work if his players bring their physical A-game.

Lock Adam Coleman's return from a shoulder injury will help the Force's cause, but the Waratahs will start as hot favourites after snaring three wins in a row to get their title defence back on track.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...t-on-at-force/

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    We are never short on faith Michael Foley, but gotta admit it's getting pretty hard to feel positive when nothing really seems to be getting fixed. Nevertheless will always be there in support (provided there's less kicking the ball away!)

vCash
    I think the question will be asked after every loss now. The team and management seem tight, hope it doesn't effect morale too much and continue to stay positive and bag some victories.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Non sunt multiplicanda entia sine necessitate

Player
    vCash
    Foley has done a good job in developing a positive culture around the Force and is to be commended for that. What he also needs to do is be able to take a step back and have a good look at the game plan and style of play and say can we do this better. Am I open to looking at things from a different perspective?

A good leader is one that looks out the window to apportion credit and in the mirror to apportion blame.

I think the Force and Foley would be served well by having an experienced attack/backs coach to provide assistance (yes I know Kevin Foote is in that role). Foley also needs to be "coachy" enough to drop a player when form warrants it.

2016 is pivotal. I hope Foley can start strong, but if we have a poor start again, as an organisation a tough decision will need to be made.

vCash
    The best coaches are the ones who continually evole their techniques and methods. But more importantly their tactics and structures. The amount of video out there for coaches to watch on opposition teams is huge, making it easy to dissect every part of your structures, attacking tendancies, defence and set piece. Evolving therefore is everything. A coach needs to be willing to evolve these areas in order to keep ahead of the opposition. We know the definition of insanity.
    I hope the Coaching staff are working on evolving their game plans and structures. They have to. The game moves forward and evolves, we have to aswell.

There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

vCash
    It has been a bugger of a year, however, Foley still has my support, let's hope he ca turn things around in 2016

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    With you there Mc.

May the FORCE be with you!

Player
    vCash

Foley sniffing

Then Why Foley are you sniffing around the 'reds'!
    He is exactly the same as all the rest .
    Only interested in looking after himself!!
    Funny thing is he will replace another loser.
    Aussie rugby in great shape aye???

-4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Red Carded
    vCash

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by whodunnit View Post
    A good coach should always have a contingency
    It is interesting how Foley says in this post he will stick it through to the end
    I don't know to many institutions that would put up with results like this over a period of time without the drums beating
    Not a fan of marto or his commentary but never a truer word said last evening when after the Reds demise I quote
    The Players just aren't listening or the players just don't give a shit anymore
    It is time for this institution to wake up and have a good clean out and install a more aggressive and proactive board and a more hardline coach

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whodunnit View Post
    Nice positive first post.

No chance of a quote to back that statement, I suppose?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Red Carded
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Nice positive first post.

No chance of a quote to back that statement, I suppose?
    I believe Whodunit is Richard Graham

Champion
    vCash
    Similar story but with Cheika on Hodgo too

I will stay the course: Foley
    Nick Taylor
    Western Force coach Michael Foley has vowed to stick around and fight despite the team having its worst season ever.
    Signed until the end of 2017 and having taken the Force to their best season last year, Foley has the backing of his players and the RugbyWA board.
    But the numbers don’t lie.
    The Force started the season with a spirited win over the Waratahs in Sydney, only to lose the 10 matches since. They are anchored at the foot of the Super Rugby table.
    Foley hopes to ease the strain and salvage something from the wreckage by snapping the losing sequence in tonight’s clash with the Waratahs at nib Stadium.
    Force captain Matt Hodgson also has plenty to prove against Michael Hooper in the battle for the Australian No.7 jumper in front of Wallabies coach Michael Cheika.
    Foley said there had been no discussions about his future.
    “I’m as determined as I’ve ever been,” he said.
    “Hanging on for the sake of tenure is a waste of time. I’m not overly concerned about that.
    “I certainly feel like the relationship with the players is strong. I’m singularly focused on getting this team to play as well as it can.
    “I’m very positive about the way we’re tackling things. We’re honest with each other, we’re not having cuddles in the corners. I’ve seen groups under less pressure fracture. I feel a lot of pressure to deliver for the people that have supported us and supported me.”
    Cheika said ownership of the Wallabies No.7 jumper was far from clear-cut despite the hype surrounding Hooper and Brumbies flanker David Pocock.
    He said Hodgson, who has already made four turnovers, scored two tries and averaged 10 tackles and 40 run metres in his two games since returning from a major hamstring injury sustained in the pre-season, was definitely in his World Cup plans.
    “I hold Matt in high regard. I gave him the captaincy on tour last year (against the Barbarians). You don’t do that lightly,” Cheika said.
    “He made an impact on his return. He slipped straight back in, crafty at the breakdown and a danger to any side.
    “He’s going to be coming in at the right time of the season. He’s going to be fresh. I’ll definitely consider having him in the Wallabies leadership group.”
    Foley said Hodgson was the ideal openside flanker.
    “Matt is exceptional. He defends tough and attacks smart,” Foley said.
    “Some of his ball carrying and passing ... he’s a pretty complete No.7 with a hell of a lot of experience.
    “His leadership going into a World Cup season is crucial. The influence he has over other people is difficult to measure but it is unquestionable.”

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/...-course-foley/

Senior Player
    vCash
    Uh oh when the board comes out and says the coach has the full backing of the board we generally know how that finishes.

vCash
    I think Foley has been great for the Force - my worries are coming in the form of a lack of attacking structures, and I guess with the limited funds the Force have unlike the luxury of the Tahs and the Reds, it's making life hard. But I still think a lot more could be put into working the ball. I mean we were seeing it last season! What happened to the confidence and decision making?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Knuckles just been appointed as Coaching Director at Red to "mentor" RG

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast