Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Celebrating the Community Coach of the Year

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Celebrating the Community Coach of the Year

Asteron Life is proud to once again partner with Super Rugby for the 2015 season.

When it comes to the game, we know community coaches are the real rugby champions. That’s why Asteron Life and the ARU are searching for the second annual Asteron Life Community Coach of the Year.

To find out about the impact one special coach had on him, we asked Kyle Godwin from the Western Force about his most influential coach Dwayne Nestor, Junior Elite Coach at Western Force.

“I think most players when they respect their coach, they want play for their coach, and that’s something I feel with Dwayne, especially when I was growing up and when he was head coach of our state teams. To play well for him was just a good feeling,” Godwin said.

Dwayne Nestor said respect was something that you had to earn as a coach, but it made all the difference in getting the most out of your team.

“I think respect comes from showing you’re willing to do the hard work to make them better, because they’re showing you that they’re willing to do the hard work to be better,” he said.

Nestor said he expected a lot from his players, but that some sacrifices were necessary to be the best they can be.

“I think I’m tough, but I think I’m fair,” he said. “I demand a lot, because I think the only way you’re ever going to really achieve greatness is to work hard and make sacrifices.

Godwin said Nestor’s major strengths as a coach include his honesty, as well as his skills coaching.

“I’ve always found Dwayne a very good specific skills coach, and at the moment he’s also branching out, so he’s actually become very influential in our kicking in the Western Force, and he’s doing a great job there,” he said.

“I’d like to say thank Dwayne so much for giving me the opportunity, and I’m sure I wouldn’t be here today without your contribution.”

Let your community coach know how much you and your club appreciate them and their dedication to the game by nominating them for the Asteron Life Community Coach of the Year. The winner will receive some incredible prizes, including a visit from the Wallabies Head Coach and a cash grant for their club.

If you know a coach who deserves to be celebrated as the Asteron Life Community Coach of the Year, tell us about them today at

www.asteronlifesuperrugby.com.au

See more at: http://www.rugbywa.com.au/article/ce....YeRUk5AF.dpuf

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rookie
    vCash
    Joke!

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    you are,indeed

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Name:  Catfish1-500x261.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  29.1 KB

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Whatsdoin
    you clearly have a grievance with Rugby WA
    how about you calmly and rationally state what this is,so us punters understand what your angst is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Name:  Catfish1-500x261.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  29.1 KB
    Not even a whale could swallow that one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    Whatsdoin
    you clearly have a grievance with Rugby WA
    how about you calmly and rationally state what this is,so us punters understand what your angst is
    Here's my take:

I suspect the guy used to play when much younger. Not to any great standard; certainly not rep.

He now has at least one son who shows some ability. Probably the same as his dad. Not exceptional by any stretch, but pretty good. Waltzed into his school 1st 15, played well. Came to the attention of rep selectors, trialled and probably got an invitation to train with a view to developing into a rep player.

Things went a bit pear-shaped from there; he either showed an unwillingness to train as per requirements or was a lazy trainer, relying upon his ability on the field to show them how great he is. Dad keeps pumping his tyres; telling him he is the best player on the field each week and one day he could even be as good as he was back in the day.

He probably was released from rep training because of his attitude issues. But he (and his dad) blames The System and the rep coaches, particularly Nestor, for this downfall.

The interesting thing about the Nestor piece on the telly is how Nestor gives the player many kudos for being a willing learner and hard trainer, thus making it easy to coach him. I think there's something in that for consideration.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Geez, I never knew that the word "joke" conveyed such a broad depth of meaning ....

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    It's all in the delivery, Fulvio.

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    Here's my take:

I suspect the guy used to play when much younger. Not to any great standard; certainly not rep.

He now has at least one son who shows some ability. Probably the same as his dad. Not exceptional by any stretch, but pretty good. Waltzed into his school 1st 15, played well. Came to the attention of rep selectors, trialled and probably got an invitation to train with a view to developing into a rep player.

Things went a bit pear-shaped from there; he either showed an unwillingness to train as per requirements or was a lazy trainer, relying upon his ability on the field to show them how great he is. Dad keeps pumping his tyres; telling him he is the best player on the field each week and one day he could even be as good as he was back in the day.

He probably was released from rep training because of his attitude issues. But he (and his dad) blames The System and the rep coaches, particularly Nestor, for this downfall.
    surely not! That doesn't happen in junior rugby does it???

I simply thought that Nestor had mistaken his weetbix for the litter box in the last couple of years......

C'mon the

Rookie
    vCash
    At least the kid in your story ecky played the game. Our 'community coach of the year ' has never made a tackle,pass or catch under pressure in his life. Now he is kicking coach of some sort. He wouldn't have a clue what pressure is? But he is only an employee I suppose. It's who puts him there that have a case to answer. He isn't a threat to others and is on a wage so cheap for rugbywa.
    Godwin is a talent that anybody could have coached.
    What about the many that have slipped through because of the inadequacies of the 'community coach of the year'!!!
    This is the joke! Well more a disaster really.
    Ecky do you work for rugbywa by any chance?

vCash
    Actually to answer your assertion that you need to have played a game to be able to coach it whatsdoin, you are incorrect.

Most here know I'm a teacher, many won't know that I started my career as a phys Ed teacher. As a result I have coached many teams at various community levels in sports I've both played myself and not played. There is very little difference in the experience for me. The skill of knowing what a good skill performance looks like is not enhanced in any way whatsoever by being able to perform it. There are only really two things that you gain from pplaying the game
    A the ability to demonstrate a skill
    B the ability to describe how a skill feels when performed

Both of these are only of any value if you have performed the skill at a level that you are coaching it, this is pretty rare.

C'mon the

Rookie
    vCash
    Very considered response Gigs, like it !

Senior Player
    vCash
    Wayne Bennett in the NRL is a perfect example of being a great coach and non player.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Whatsdoin View Post
    Ecky do you work for rugbywa by any chance?
    No mate - I am a mere servant of the game here in WA.

I did play at rep level back in the day. My own father played at (arguably) higher rep level than I. He encouraged me. When I no longer played rep level he still encouraged me, even though I was merely playing 1st grade in the Perth comp. He came to watch my games for the pure joy of watching his son playing in a game we both love.

Back to current day: We have referee coaches. Some of them have refereed at a very high level. Most have not. All are astute analysts of what they see being performed and are adept at conveying strategies and methods of how their subject can produce an improved performance. Even the majority that haven't refereed at high level.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast