Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Limited Tahs chances lead Lance to Force fold

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Lance keen to prove worth at the Force as playmaker

Nick Taylor
    May 19, 2015, 7:56 am

New signing Jono Lance is determined to use his move to the Western Force to shed his utility back tag and prove himself as a true playmaker.

Lance, who has signed from the NSW Waratahs for the next two seasons, has had some established Wallaby teachers in midfield and full-back but has been frustrated by lack of game time.

He was stuck behind Bernard Foley, Kurtley Beale and Israel Folau at the Tahs and earlier in his career was behind Quade Cooper at the Queensland Reds.

He was the starting full-back for the Reds when they won the 2011 Super Rugby final against the Crusaders, but sees the next two years as the chance for change.

“I’ve learnt a lot from the guys above me whether it was at NSW or at the Reds, but now is the time to make a position my own,” Lance said. “The goal for me is to play fly-half.

“I’ve been caught out in the utility role. Being able to play other positions can be a good thing to have, but now is the time where I want to make a position my own.

“I’ve learnt from a few pretty good fly-halves, and even at Queensland when I was at full-back I was defending at fly-half.

“I enjoy playing full-back, but I don’t think that is my position. I’ve also played a lot of 12, but I want to play 10.”

Lance, 24, knows he has to dislodge Force incumbent No.10 Sias Ebersohn and maybe even Luke Burton who could be moved in from the centres.

"There are no guarantees in professional sport and nor should there ever be guarantees on a position," Lance said.

"I've got to get over there and show why I should be fly half and there will be a few other players doing that."

Lance lived in Perth for a couple of years when his father Dean coached the Perth Reds Super League side. He was a Newman College pupil and a nipper at City Beach Surf Club.

Force coach Michael Foley said Lance would add options to the backline.

"Jono’s a tough competitor who will provide additional versatility and depth across our backline,” Foley said.

“With an ability to play 10, 12 and 15, Jono is also a strong goal-kicker and is hungry for an opportunity to play regularly in Super Rugby."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...-as-playmaker/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    well I hope to God Jono proves everything he wants to here!

C'mon the

vCash
    Sounds like another journeyman like Hill... not flashy but solid when required

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Looks like Jono is on the bench on Saturday for the semi against Highlanders as KB is an omission.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    At least Lance will be highly motivated to perform - seems like this is the chance he has been hoping for. Would love to have seen Zac kill it at 10, but it just hasn't happened with the limited chances he has received. I don't particularly rate Sias, so I'm good with giving Lance a go and really hope he shines. I also think Luke will continue to grow into a quality player, unlike Sias I reckon he is genuinely brave on the field and plays well above his weight - always a good sign for a young rugby player.

If Lance Wants to hold the fly half spot he will need to actively control the whole backline, which may take some time to develop. I'm happy to give him the chance to do that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    Sounds like another journeyman like Hill... not flashy but solid when required
    yeah.. we've recruited a guy that couldn't break into the side that finished 2nd last. I guess because of our lack of $$ we have to resign ourselves to the fact that we will have to rely on recruiting players like this and just hope they thrive...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3