Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Player Contracts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    Hodgo is retarding the development of Hardwick/Koteka.Was a real warrior but we need to look to the future.
    Hodgson MAY be retarding the development of Hardwick (22yo) and Koteka (22yo) but I'd suggest his influence and mentoring have done a lot more to ASSIST the development of these two young players and hopefully will continue to do so. In reality it was Alcock who limited Richard and Kane's game time.

Hodgson was the top tackler in SR2016 up until the time he was injured. He averaged 15 tackles per game. Sam Cane (12/game) and Ardie Savea (11/game) ended up in front only by playing more games.

Hodgson averaged 37 Total Ruck Involvements (27 Attack/10 Defence) (same as Gill and more than Pocock) and 1.2TOW per game. His numbers in SR2015 were very much the same.

We can expect Hodgson to play less in 2017 while still transitioning another player as Captain and Koteka/Hardwick into the OSF position. The numbers suggest that it is more likely to be Koteka.

Richard Hardwick averaged 32T (26A/6D) and 5 tackles/game in SR2016. Kane had little game time due to injury at the wrong time. Both were behind Chris Alcock after Hodgson's shoulder injury. Hardwick is the better ball carrier - he's likely to get more time at 6 or 8.

For the past 2 seasons the pecking order for the OSF position has clearly been:
    1 Hodgson
    2 Alcock
    3 Koteka
    4 Hardwick

In the NRC Hardwick (232 mins) has averaged only 23T (16A/7D) and Koteka (204 mins) 35T (26A/7D).

Are you seriously suggesting that the Force should have dumped Hodgson when his form has been amongst the best in SR just to make space for players who have to earn their position with better performances/work rate?

With Alcock now gone, the opportunity will be for Koteka and Hardwick to really show what they can do in 2017.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Wessels: We’re looking for some outside backs.[/QUOTE]

LAAACCCCEEEYYYYY

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Champion
    vCash
    Andrew I am not bagging The Man but father time has caught up with him.
    It's now come time to hand over the reins to someone that can have a real impact for the next 10 seasons.

He may have the stats but I don't see him exploding on to a short ball and splitting ruck defence wide open. I don't see him taking a short outside ball off a midfielder off a set piece, I don't see him taking an inside ball off an outside back.

You need to bring more to the table than turning over a couple of balls.

The modern game dictates that these are core roles of a modern day openside.

I have loved watching him over the years and have marvelled at his all out passion and energy but age happens to us all. Happy to be proven wrong but there is nothing worse than watching legends of the game hang around a season or two too long.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Rookie
    vCash
    Thanks WM, you've just written what I think, but have been unable to put into words without sounding nasty

Champion
    vCash
    I am awaiting the 'We can't win without Hodgo brigade' but everyone is entitled their own opinion. I will again reiterate that Hodgo has been an absolute legend for the game in this state.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rookie
    vCash
    100%

vCash
    Needs to learn his day job, does that and he could be anything.
    Would today's display qualify as learning his day job?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    He may have the stats but I don't see him exploding on to a short ball and splitting ruck defence wide open. I don't see him taking a short outside ball off a midfielder off a set piece, I don't see him taking an inside ball off an outside back.

You need to bring more to the table than turning over a couple of balls.

The modern game dictates that these are core roles of a modern day openside.
    These may be what the ideal "core roles modern day openside" however I've yet to see these skills regularly displayed by either Hardwick or Koteka in either Club rugby or NRC.

This is Professional Rugby not Club Rugby.
    The aim has to play the best player in each position.
    Any player needs to consistently perform better than Hodgson to displace him from the starting XV.
    Hardwick and Koteka may develop a better running game than Hodgson but they also need to be at least close to his Ruck Involvements and Tackle count and be able to provide the on-field leadership - especially in defence.

I'll ask the question slightly differently.
    Are you seriously suggesting that a fit Hodgson in 2017, showing anywhere near his 2016 form, should stand aside for players who average ~10 less Ruck Involvements, ~10 less tackles and ~1 less TOW per 80 minutes and have yet to show that they can play 80 minutes of SR - week-in-week-out?
    I think Koteka has yet to play a full game in SR (best 73 min in 2015) and Hardwick played 1 (in 2016).

I agree that Hardwick and Koteka represent the Med-Long Term future of the WF.
    Should they immediately replace Hodgson? Not in the short term.
    However, I would expect both players to get a lot more game time in 2017.

Last edited by andrewg; 10-10-16 at 00:08.

Rookie
    vCash
    Rangi signed. Hookers taking shape.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emu View Post
    Rangi signed. Hookers taking shape.
    so we have a Rangi and a ranga hooker

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Force Sign Hard Hitting Rangi

By David Berrie
    Thu 13th October 16

The Western Force today announced the signing of local player Anaru Rangi for the 2017 Super Rugby season.

The 27-year-old had a remarkable 2016, from working as a scaffolder Monday to Friday and playing for local Pindan Premier Grade team Nedlands on the weekend, to being injected into the Force squad in April and then going on to make his Super Rugby debut against the Bulls in Round 10 at the ‘Force Field’ nib Stadium.

The Wellington-born front rower went on to play a further four games for the club, bringing an intensity and physicality that saw him gain the respect of his fellow teammates.

Rangi says it’s a dream come true to have signed a Super Rugby contract and reflects on the past season as an incredible few months.

“I’m just really excited to rip in,” he said. “I can’t wait to get stuck in to the next few months and next year.

“It’s been a whirlwind few months actually, but I’ve loved every minute of it. I keep having to pinch myself every morning as I get up to play a bit of footy for a job.”

The 2016 debutant says he attributes his physicality on the field to a strong mindset.

“I definitely see my physicality as one of my strengths and try to keep a pretty uncompromising attitude out on the field, that’s the way I like to play.”

Western Force Head Coach Dave Wessels says the attitude and dedication Anaru has shown plus his current form in the Buildcorp National Rugby Championship (NRC) factored into the decision.

“Anaru is a product of the [Buildcorp] NRC program, that’s where we first got some exposure to him and we have watched him grow since then.

“He is affectionately known as the ‘Axe Murderer’ and he is an incredibly physical player and at only 27 we still think he has plenty of good rugby years ahead of him.

“The other point about Anaru is the level of commitment he has shown since coming on board on a supplementary contract, which has warranted an upgrade to an EPS contract, and shows how desperately he wants to be successful at Super Rugby level and those are exactly the kind of people that we want at this club.”

Name: Anaru Rangi
    Date of Birth: 19/10/1988
    Place of Birth: Wellington, New Zealand
    Position: Hooker
    Height: 181cm
    Weight: 117kg
    Super Rugby caps: 5
    Super Rugby points: 0
    Super Rugby debut: 2016 v Bulls

https://www.westernforce.com.au/arti...-hitting-rangi

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Rangi was the object of probably the only positive moment I experienced in the 2016 season.

His debut match was at NIB, he was named on the bench and his mates were in the general admission area with a big homemade banner wit Ru-Dozer on it. It reminded me of vision I've seen from New Zealand where clubbies support their mates at the highest level. I think we need more of that, not only in the Force but in all of australian rugby!

C'mon the

Rookie
    vCash
    Sorry if this has been caught elsewhere but it was mentioned on GAGR that Con Foley (Rio 7s player and Rays 13) has picked up a training contract with the Force to at least try to prove his abilities. He's played really well in the NRC and could be good back up in the centres. A really good team man he is (and another of the University of QLD products alongside Morahan, Lance, Tessmann and Prior)

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbyReg View Post
    Sorry if this has been caught elsewhere but it was mentioned on GAGR that Con Foley (Rio 7s player and Rays 13) has picked up a training contract with the Force to at least try to prove his abilities. He's played really well in the NRC and could be good back up in the centres. A really good team man he is (and another of the University of QLD products alongside Morahan, Lance, Tessmann and Prior)
    Certainly the first I have heard it, and if true, this is exactly the type of signing I expect to see more of now we are in bed with ARU.

In fact I would rather more of these than ANY marquee signings from O/S.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    In fact I would rather more of these than ANY marquee signings from O/S.
    Swings and roundabouts with that concept TIF, I don't think the Perth public will have the patience for a team to be built from the ground up like it should be. If there isn't a noticeable improvement in performance early next season, they might be playing for the cleaning staff (colloquially)

C'mon the

Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 35 ... LastLast