Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Super Rugby vs Rugby League in Western Australia

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I could handle that. I can't see it happening but always have had a soft spot for the Tiges and the 'Pies. I first heard whispers about that a while ago. Think I said so here. But I still highly doubt it.
    Found this on the Triple M (Sydney) website. here.

Official Statement
    Wests Tigers would like to respond to comments made in Rugby League Week magazine on July 21, 2016, claiming that the Club would be relocating to Western Australia.

Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe said that the Club will not be moving to Perth at any time in the future.

“The comments made in no way represent the views of the Wests Tigers organisation and we can confirm that they are not based on any facts,” said Pascoe.

“Under the current NRL Licence, and also in the draft of the proposed new NRL Licence, the ARLC and the NRL has no ability to relocate any Club.

“Wests Tigers’ Board of Directors and Management have absolutely no plans that feature Perth in its future,” he said. “Wests Tigers hopes that this puts an end to this rumour that has come up a number of times in recent years and has absolutely no credibility.

“Wests Tigers are committed to strengthening relationships with those in our existing geographical footprint,” said Pascoe.

“We have been blessed with a large footprint throughout Sydney and will be doing everything we can to enrich the lives of those within our area through Rugby League.

"We are proud of the work that our players and staff do in our community and will continue to increase our involvement in the region, cementing our position here.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Thanks X. They also put one out saying that Coach Taylor has their full support. Which is much less likely to be true than a move to Perth.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Either way - bottom line is that ARU/RWA should be very concerned if/when Perth gets a RL team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Either way - bottom line is that ARU/RWA should be very concerned if/when Perth gets a RL team.
    I just hope they ARE concerned. As opposed to "doesn't matter anyway......."

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I just hope they ARE concerned. As opposed to "doesn't matter anyway......."
    You'd want to hope so.
    But the attitude from our current CEO seems to be "wait until the absolute last second to do anything about it"
    Or "the ARU won't let *whatever* happen.

So... I doubt it very much

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    You'd want to hope so.
    But the attitude from our current CEO seems to be "wait until the absolute last second to do anything about it"
    Or "the ARU won't let *whatever* happen.

So... I doubt it very much
    The major concern for Rugby WA is that when the Reds were about, there was the Super League division, and junior league didn't have the following it has now. With a lot more TV clout, a local team would most probably find a nice home like NIB. Be interesting to see if the mooted Origin match is the final litmus test for a local/transplant team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralto View Post
    The major concern for Rugby WA is that when the Reds were about, there was the Super League division, and junior league didn't have the following it has now.
    Actually the last Reds U-18 team that went around in 1997 played the GF in Brisbane and lost to the Bronx after defeating the Raiders in Canberra in a semi. The squad of 22 had 17 WA juniors. After they moved the Franchise to Melbourne, junior RL lost it's way in WA - largely due to lack of funding and general disappointment. Since the introduction of the SG Ball program in 2006 the game is fighting it's way back.
    Should the ARU surrender the Western Force, it's not hard to imagine where young athletes will turn. Particularly if the NRL then decided to inject more development funding to WA and the kids can see another local pathway to a pro career.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2