Cheika backs Rona move

Nick Taylor - The West Australian on August 13, 2016, 11:14 am

Australian coach Michael Cheika believes new Western Force signing, code-hopper Curtis Rona, is a Wallaby in waiting.

Rona had a few sleepless nights before making the decision to return to rugby union, but a chat with Cheika last Sunday convinced him to leave NRL club Canterbury and move back to the code he grew up playing in Perth.

Cheika is confident the imposing back-line star will come into calculation for the Wallabies as he looks towards the 2019 World Cup.

“He’s certainly a talent,” Cheika told rugby.com.au. “ You meet him and he’s very hungry to do well in this sport.

“I’m really looking forward to him being involved in Super Rugby next year and we’ll see how it goes from there.

“I’ve always said about players who come from rugby league ... it’s got to be because they want to play the game.

“He’s certainly a guy that wants to play the game, he’s really keen to come back, he’s really keen to be a part of what’s happening in Perth going forward and he’s had a great season so far this year.”

Rona, who has signed a two-year deal with the Force, played his early rugby for Wanneroo Districts before switching to league.

“Growing up watching the Force I always wanted to play professional rugby for them and I’ve got the opportunity now,” Rona said. “I’m testing myself, but I’m confident that I can make the switch.

“I think I’ve learnt a few things from rugby league and can mould my game around both codes. Hopefully it can give me an edge.

“I spoke briefly with Michael Cheika to see what plans were in place for the Force. I wanted to have an insight, a clear future of rugby in WA and that I was going somewhere that was going to be a force in Super Rugby. He gave me clarification on that.

“We didn’t talk much about the Wallabies, more about making the transition. At this stage it’s getting that right and getting myself prepared for Super Rugby.”

The code switch means Rona has given up the chance of playing for New Zealand in next year’s rugby league World Cup.

“I’ve made a decision that is best for my family and sometimes you have to make sacrifices,” he said.

“We’ve had countless sleepless nights thinking about it. It was a tough decision, but the opportunity is there and one that was too good to refuse.”

Rona will leave the Bulldogs when their 2016 campaign ends, which he hopes will be after a grand final victory.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...e-swoop/#page1

This is certainly evidence that the ARU is very interested in seeing the force prosper and grow