Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 ... LastLast

Thread: How Twiggy will run his rebel rugby comp

vCash
    Rugby AU is an anagram of Bugar Yu (prounounced, 'bugger you'). Seems appropriate for this half of the country.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UAUdiver1959 View Post
    He was never ‘elected’. That’s the root of all evil
    Elected in 2014 and re elected at this years VRU/RUPA EGM failure.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Could it be as simple as lingering anger at not being appointed to a job Mr Forrest once interviewed him for................would not be totally surprised after viewing his performance at the senate inquiry.......... the way he carped on at the unfairness of it all came across as a little "unbalanced" that day.
    And the constant use of the Richard Graham-esque "yeo" instead of "you know" was intensely annoying too!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    And the constant use of the Richard Graham-esque "yeo" instead of "you know" was intensely annoying too!
    Thanks for correcting my previous spelling mistakes, Alison. I had it as y'ow. As in "Yeo, we are constantly running lots of strategic options"

Ekky would be proud of you, yeo.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Senior Player
    vCash
    Twiggy Forrest expects Rugby Australia approval of new competition

The Australian 12:00AM October 28, 2017

WAYNE SMITH

Mining magnate Andrew “Twiggy” Forrest hopes to learn by next Thursday whether Rugby Australia will give its seal of approval for what he vowed would be “the most popular rugby competition in the world”, his revolutionary Indo-Pacific Rugby Championship.

Forrest briefed the Rugby Australia board on Thursday on his plans for a six-team, 10-round home-and-away competition that was spawned by the decision to shut down the Western Force.

Forrest has chosen to go down the collaboration path with Rugby Australia, though clearly that will all hinge on what it decides on Thursday. The deadline seemed to catch Rugby Australia by surprise yesterday, with a spokesman revealing that there was “still a fair bit of talking to be done”.

But as far as Forrest is concerned, it is all systems go.

Asked if he was confident Rugby Australia would give its approval, Forrest told The Weekend Australian: “That’s entirely a matter for the ARU. I’m sure they know what’s best for Australia. I have confidence in that board and they will act in the best interests of Australia.”

For a venture of this size, he also needs World Rugby to sign off on the IPRC. Certainly when Forrest’s team travelled to Dublin last week for discussions, they found World Rugby an attentive audience, while Forrest himself has had dialogue with WR chairman Bill Beaumont and chief executive Brett Gosper.

One of World Rugby’s suggestions was that the competition be run from March to June, which would put it in direct competition with Super Rugby. Seemingly, a March-June tournament would fit more easily into World Rugby’s global season, though Forrest admitted it could affect when his competition kicks off.

“If the ARU choose our originally nominated competition window (of July through to October), we’ll start next year,” he said. “If the ARU choose March through to June, then that will be difficult this late in the day.”

Almost certainly it would mean a 2019 start. One of the advantages of playing March-June would be the Wallabies would be available to play, which would not be possible in the July-October dates. But that raises the tantalising prospect of whether Rugby Australia would relax its rules that only footballers who play in Super Rugby can be considered for the national side.

Forrest was convinced that the eligibility of Wallabies to play in his competition would not be a sticking point. “It’s lock, stock and barrel,” he said. “We’re either pregnant or we’re not.”

Although the Force will be the only Australian team competing at the outset, Forrest was adamant he would attempt to bring home as many overseas-based Australians as possible to fill his teams.

“There will be no attempt about it, mate. We will,” Forrest said.

Forrest has set his staff to visit 18 Asian nations by November 14, though clearly there are only five teams to be added.

“I need them to know they were not overlooked at the start. Even if they are not likely to get selected.

“This is a competition for the fans and the players, for no one else. Australian players would love to come and play in this competition. There are players in Australia that we will lose to France or we will lose to Japan or we will lose to other countries in Europe simply because they want to play an international competition.

“If they’re not going to play for the Wallabies and they’re not sure about SANZAAR and Super Rugby, then they’re going to vote with their feet. Having an Australian-owned international competition where their mums and dads and girlfriends can all watch them in the same time zone — they don’t have to get up at three in the morning — it is all systems go for a phenomenal competition where Australians don’t have to leave home.”

vCash
    What would be a real shot in the arm would be to see some of the big Japanese companies, who do not currently have Rugby teams encouraged to join this competition. Nissan, Suzuki, Hitachi, Sumitomo......If they decided that having a sport sponsorship presence in some of their largest export nations is a good idea...... They have a ready made "feeder comp" which finishes a month ahead the March-June window.
    Actually a March-June window wouldn't clash with the Top League which opens up the opportunity for existing teams to keep their teams active rather than loaning them to the Sunwolves (Western Force v Suntory Sungoliath anyone?). I'd love to see Japanese involvement but I can't remember if that's even being considered as an option.

Champion
    vCash
    Good stuff Twiggy. Thankyou Minderoo for taking this risk and supporting WA rugby. I enjoyed the presentation and look forward to this competition starting.

Player
    vCash
    I think we could have clynes head on a football it would give players great pleasure to tosss it around and stick the boot in. Gee I hate that man. His way is to decimate rugby. Until Twiggy came along he had no plan for WA other than destruction.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Ok I'm gonna be an ogre and say this thread is now about Twiggy and the IPRC and positive conversation. Being savage about the other mob can be on other threads please. Besides this comp will be our chance to give those grubby fuckers their come uppance.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Watched Andrew Forrest's 30min presentation and now feeling even more positive about the IPRC.

Fantastic that he's putting his money behind his promise, he wants it to succeed and his team has obviously done their homework.
    The Asian region has great possibilities well beyond Super Rugby, which has become a bit stale - massive potential fan base and broadcast opportunities, all in a viewer friendly timezone.
    It also opens up an opportunity that AFL has not tapped into - could be rugby's first chance in a long while to claw back some of the lead AFL has made on rugby in Australia - could start reversing a trend that has damaged rugby in Aus for many years.

Now up to the ERU to confirm Wallaby eligibility which will be critical for bringing home the players that have moved overseas - the ERU's decision on this will be very telling, whether they truly want to see the IPRC succeed, or whether they see it as a threat to their power base and they want it to fail. I imagine there should be strong player support for the new comp and the ERU risks alienating players further if they make the wrong, insular decision. Viva La Revolution!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
    Watched Andrew Forrest's 30min presentation and now feeling even more positive about the IPRC.

I imagine there should be strong player support for the new comp and the ERU risks alienating players further if they make the wrong, insular decision. Viva La Revolution!
    I imagine RUPA will be outraged if the ERU try to stop IPRC. Restraint of trade?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
    The Asian region has great possibilities well beyond Super Rugby, which has become a bit stale - massive potential fan base and broadcast opportunities, all in a viewer friendly timezone.
    Seems so. I was pretty surprised by some of the figures. For one I had no idea that the game is so popular in Sri Lanka and was wondering why it kept getting a mention.

Read an article by Matt Burke a while back where Mutaih Muralitharan approached him for a Rugby chat during a ZA tour. Said he knew who he was but was surprised Muraly knew of him. Reply was something like "are you kidding? Cricket is the most popular sport in SL but Rugby is a close second".

So I did some research (sounds better than Googled it ) With a population of 21 million and a Rugby registration of ‎121,938, the sport is actually more popular than it is here. Has been played there for about 140 years. Who knew?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JSJ View Post
    I imagine RUPA will be outraged if the ERU try to stop IPRC. Restraint of trade?
    We don't know if what is going on with the CBA. RUPA aren't happy with the way the Force players were treated and if the ARU refuse they should go out on strike.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Seems so. I was pretty surprised by some of the figures. For one I had no idea that the game is so popular in Sri Lanka and was wondering why it kept getting a mention.

Read an article by Matt Burke a while back where Mutaih Muralitharan approached him for a Rugby chat during a ZA tour. Said he knew who he was but was surprised Muraly knew of him. Reply was something like "are you kidding? Cricket is the most popular sport in SL but Rugby is a close second".

So I did some research (sounds better than Googled it ) With a population of 21 million and a Rugby registration of ‎121,938, the sport is actually more popular than it is here. Has been played there for about 140 years. Who knew?

I have known for some time. They have a popular schools and varsity base to built from. The issue of course is money.

Some will size too but going from the Cricket team they have rotund players like Ranutanga and Giraffes in the name of Zoysa, Vaas, etc. I think Tony Greig said Murali played scrumhalf back in the day.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash

And that number of registered players has grown significantly from 5 or 10 years ago. We have a couple of Sri Lankan rugby dudes in our touch footy crew and they say its popularity is largely based around the big population centres which would be good for setting up a team.

Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 ... LastLast