Thread: Former Black Fern to become first Kiwi woman to referee a men's first-class game

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Former Black Fern to become first Kiwi woman to referee a men's first-class game

Last updated 12:24, September 12 2018

Former Black Fern Rebecca Mahoney will become the first woman to referee first-class men's rugby fixtures when she controls Heartland Championship matches this season.

Former Black Fern Rebecca Mahoney is set to become the first New Zealand female referee to officiate a first class men's fixture when she controls the Mitre 10 Heartland Championship match between Thames Valley and King Country this Saturday.

Mahoney, 35, one of two women named in the High Performance Referee National Squad earlier this year with this weekend's appointment acknowledging her progress in the refereeing ranks.

"This appointment comes down to the hard work and commitment that Rebecca has shown to her refereeing," said New Zealand Rugby's National Referee Manager Bryce Lawrence.

"Being involved in a high performance environment has really accelerated her development and this appointment is a great achievement. We hope it inspires other female referees, or people thinking about taking up refereeing to see what you can achieve.

"We have seen unprecedented growth and interest in the women's game and to celebrate achievements like this in refereeing shows the pathways that are on offer.

"We hope that other players see Rebecca and are inspired to stay involved in the game beyond their playing days.

"At the end of the day, we are committed to having New Zealanders represented among the best match officials in the world controlling elite games. Rebecca's appointment confirms that she is among the best and we congratulate her on this appointment and the effort she has shown in getting here," said Lawrence.

Wairarapa-based Mahoney played 16 matches for the Black Ferns before turning her attention to refereeing. Since 2015 Mahoney has officiated sevens at the Commonwealth Games and Rugby World Cup Sevens, taken charge of one test match and two Farah Palmer Cup finals.

Saturday's appointment is the first of three Heartland Championship matches that Mahoney is set to control this season.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...irstclass-game

Well I guess having female officials is at least one aspect of the game where Australia is well ahead of NZ

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    She isn't the first. Joy Neville refereed the Ulster v Kings Pro 14 match in February this year. That was the first game to be refereed by a female. From memory she won an award for referee of the year.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post

Former Black Fern Rebecca Mahoney is set to become the first New Zealand female referee to officiate a first class men's fixture when she controls the Mitre 10 Heartland Championship match between Thames Valley and King Country this Saturday.
    They are only claiming she is the first Kiwi, not the first ever

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    They are only claiming she is the first Kiwi, not the first ever
    Maybe they're claiming that Pro 14 isn't a first class match

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    She isn't the first. Joy Neville refereed the Ulster v Kings Pro 14 match in February this year. That was the first game to be refereed by a female. From memory she won an award for referee of the year.
    Amy Perrett, too. She's been a touch-judge in Super Rugby and has ref'd at NRC level for the last couple of years, I think.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon