Thread: Get Giteau into Gregan's jersey: Jones

Legend Contributor
    vCash

Get Giteau into Gregan's jersey: Jones

This I don't agree with, I think George has played quite well in the past half dozen games...

Former Wallabies coach Eddie Jones believes a "lack of energy" in the current Test team means fresh blood is needed, with captain George Gregan head of the list to be rotated out.

The Queensland coach was believed to have been planning to replace Gregan this season before a charge at next year's World Cup, if he had retained the national job, a move he believes his successor John Connolly should be considering.

"One of the things that probably stood out watching [Saturday's match] was the lack of energy in the side," Jones told 2KY. "Whether replacing some of the senior players, or making changes to other people, there definitely needs to be changes in the team. If changes are going to be made to senior players, they really need ... to happen now."

Jones stopped short of saying Gregan's Test career should be brought to an immediate end, but did suggest both the 125-Test veteran and his halves partner, Stephen Larkham, needed time out of the side. "I would not rule George out straight away, but there has to be another option," Jones said. "What you have got to do out of that No.9 and No.10 position now is get a good, vibrant 80 minutes out of it and that has got to be the key to selection.

"[Larkham] is an older player now. Stevie is still our best No.10, but I think he needs to be nursed through the preparation to get the most out of him Stevie can start the game, but you need someone to finish the game for him. You keep on getting the good games here and there from the older players ... but at the end of the day, those good games get less and less."

Which is why the suggestion of Matt Giteau at No.9 is one that Jones has previously considered and one that he believes should be revived as a possibility, alongside other contenders such as current back-up Sam Cordingley and Australian under-21s halfback Josh Holmes. "I think certainly they have to keep giving George opportunities ... [but] I think the other one they should definitely look at is Matt Giteau," Jones said. "He is an outstanding halfback."

One possible successor to Larkham is the 17-year-old Australian schoolboys five-eighth Kurtley Beale, who has already enjoyed a trip to training at the Wallabies' Coffs Harbour camp before even graduating from school.

The St Joseph's College student was yesterday officially snapped up by Northern Suburbs in a coup for the Sydney premiership club, as the pivot is tipped for big things and is already on the Waratahs' books for next year.

Beale will play his last game for Joeys against Kings at Hunters Hill on Saturday as the GPS competition ends, and will join the Shoremen next year alongside players such as Sam Norton-Knight.

If Beale turns out in the colts teams next year, he will join other young recruits and former teammates such as Daniel Roach, the 2005 Australian Schoolboys prop and son of former rugby league international Steve Roach.

And in Super 14 news the Southern Spears have won their court case for inclusion in next year's tournament at the expense of the lowest-placed South African side, the Cats.

The SARU may yet appeal the decision, handed down in the high court after the Spears contested a change in direction by the governing body that saw an original deal for inclusion overturned. The inclusion of the Spears has been attacked by Sharks backline coach David Campese, who believes the side will "get a hiding every game".

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    interesting how this comes out pretty much straight after the news that Gregan was involved in Jones' sacking came out..

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I agree Happy, I think George is playing some of his best (and definately most mature) rugby of his outstanding career.
    It wouldn't hurt to keep Gits familiar with the role at training in case of injuries in a match however, his best position is wider where his creative flair can really be utilised.
    We have some great future talents coming through for both #9 & #10 and if they are good enough then they do not need to be rushed in.
    Gregan and Larkham are respected by their peers and overseas media as being amongst the best two or three in their respective positions.
    It's now time for sensationalist media hacks and disgruntled EX coaches and players to pull their collective heads in and let Knuckles carry out his vision.
    I get the feeling that even if Gregan was holding the Webb-Ellis aloft next year after the Final, there would be scribes down in their bunker hunched over typewriters frantically re-writing their daming articles on Gregans Wallabies because they had expected them to lose in the Quarter Finals.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    mmm... yes.... well...

Jones should really just shut up for a while and let knuckles get on with *his* job...

vCash
    it's a shame they still print Jones' rants... I've personally being boycotting most of his verbal diarrhea..

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    It's now time for sensationalist media hacks and disgruntled EX coaches and players to pull their collective heads in and let Knuckles carry out his vision.
    that's what irritates me - people wanting instant success. He has a job to do which will take time!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    I agree Happy, I think George is playing some of his best (and definately most mature) rugby of his outstanding career.
    It wouldn't hurt to keep Gits familiar with the role at training in case of injuries in a match however, his best position is wider where his creative flair can really be utilised.
    We have some great future talents coming through for both #9 & #10 and if they are good enough then they do not need to be rushed in.
    Gregan and Larkham are respected by their peers and overseas media as being amongst the best two or three in their respective positions.
    I get the feeling that even if Gregan was holding the Webb-Ellis aloft next year after the Final, there would be scribes down in their bunker hunched over typewriters frantically re-writing their daming articles on Gregans Wallabies because they had expected them to lose in the Quarter Finals.
    I think he's a great player but it's been proven that his ball delivery is fractionally off the pace. If Australia want to win the RWC then they need to call in Cordingly now as the run on and have Gregan at No 2. Why wait for the inevitable. It will be a hard decision to make early but a necessary one in my opinion.

Just happy to be here

Player
    vCash
    I too believe that Cordingly is the best halfback in Australia at the moment, i hope that his foot injury isnt serious and he can tour in November. Gregan is certainly Australia's second best halfback and deserves the bench spot.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Why didn't Eddie Jones have all these bright ideas when he was the coach???

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.