Thread: Rugby Pass and VPN?

vCash

Rugby Pass and VPN?

I got a Rugby Pass account to watch Heineken Cup as Fox were not showing it.

I like the coverage and it's in HD. So I thought about getting a VPN and an account in Asia so i could basically get all the rugby i wanted and Just fuck Fox off. If you connect to a Hong Kong or Singapore server you get all this and it's under $200/year (which i think its pretty good).

Rugby Pass even had an add for a VPN on their splash page with an offer attached.

I took on the VPN and connected to a Singapore server. Tested the connection with google and sure enough, the net thinks I'm in Singapore. when i head to Rugby Pass to try and subscribe it will not let me as although it initially says "It looks like you're in Hong Kong" it then says I'm in a blocked area.

Anyone else have any luck with a setup like this?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

vCash
    Can you sign up in Australia and then change the VPN to have access to singapore content by putting it on a sinapore VPN? Or do you have to actually sign up as an asian user? Surely the content changes depending on the country you are in?

vCash
    Yeah content changes from place to place.
    My Australian account was about $60 i think and only has some of the stuff in the pic.

cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

vCash
    i have used a vpn from ireland to pop up in sydney to connect to optus sports ok.
    i use a vpn from perth to pop up in london to get BBC i-player ok.
    i have heard of some vpn's still being geolocated, netflix USA can be particularly tricky.

there are plenty of sites offering advice like...
    https://www.techradar.com/au/news/wh...-real-location

have you tried 'epic' browser, it has a built in vpn.

cider my arse

vCash
    Hey that's a great help. I'll go and have a look.
    Can you stream to a chromecast via 'epic'?

EDIT; No linux version of 'epic'.. so i can't try it.

cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    From https://www.rugbypass.com/news/where...ing-available/

Subscribers in the following countries can watch every game of Super Rugby, the Rugby Championship (including the Bledisloe Cup), Mitre 10 Cup and the Currie Cup live and on-demand: Asia: Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, China, East Timor, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Laos, Macau, Malaysia, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam; Europe: Albania, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia, & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Turkey, Ukraine.

Last edited by .X.; 11-03-20 at 10:22.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Yeah..
    But obviously you need to be IN one of those places.. Not just virtual.

Besides, I've not watched any Super Rugby since the force got booted. I'm wanting to watch English Premiership etc..

cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antiussentiment View Post
    Yeah..
    But obviously you need to be IN one of those places.. Not just virtual.
    Theoretically a VPN does exactly that. Your bandwidth is tunneled through to the jumping off point and therefore your IP address can be geolocated in the landing country.

Of course it is predicated upon the geoblocking using your IP as the indicator of your location. I'm not sure which other metrics could be used, but this concept isn't exactly cutting edge news, so I'd assume that there are other ways of identifying country of location.

I know US Netflix has essentially blocked VPN access, not sure how they did it, but I would expect they're getting rich selling the technology to other content providers.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    There are other services that achieve the same as a VPN (mostly) but do it via Smart DNS hosting rather than routing all traffic via the jump off point. So when the streaming service does a reverse DNS lookup on your IP address it gets told the location you want to be in. Some Smart DNS hosting services can allow you to specify a different region for each streaming service. The key advantage over VPNs is that the content is streamed directly and not via the jump off point, giving you better performance / less pauses. One service that does this is https://unlocator.com

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Big thanks to both of you.

I did all the cache and cookie cleaning stuff in case there was something set in Chrome that gave the game away. so i'm guessing that Rugby Pass are being a bit clever. They are certainly not answering called for help.

I'll get around to checking out the un-locator thing.

cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

vCash
    You might also trial a few options for each. One of the ways I'd block vpns is by blacklisting the ip of jumping off points, you might jag one that Hasnt been found

C'mon the

vCash
    What VPN are you using? Try IPVanish, seems to work really well.

Every few days these services collate all the VPN ip addresses and then ban them, its regularly done. IPVanish changes their IPs fairly often and usually stays in front of these streaming services.

Can anyone please clarify, if I was to sign up to rugby pass in Australia can I just change my location to an asian country to view content in asia, or do I actually have to sign up from an asian country with asian credit card or there abouts? If It was as easy as just changing your location to view that locations content I would be on board and possibly look at signing up

vCash
    I just got a massive migraine reading those posts.

vCash
    It might be to do with how you signed up to RugbyPass in the first place. From memory, they have different packages depending on where you 'live' (or appear to live). Just tell them that you're moving overseas and I'm sure they can tweak your registration for a few extra $$$.