Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 40 46 47 48 49 50 51 LastLast

Thread: Controversy Corner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Yep. That shows the folly of paying over a million a year for a largely unproven 18yo. You're gonna piss off the proven keepers.Just one of McHamish's many masterstrokes.
    I believe it's spelled Masturstrokes

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I believe it's spelled Masturstrokes
    Could be called onanistic strokes.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    WHY PNG SHOULD & SHOULD NOT GET THE NOD.- SMH

When the Prime Minister’s XIII men’s and women’s teams played in Port Moresby in September, their security detail issued strict advice: don’t give your jersey to someone in the crowd because it could lead to violence, possibly death.

The anecdote highlights why Papua New Guinea should be handed the NRL’s 18th franchise – and why it should not. It shows how one team could have a transformative influence in a rugby league-mad country – or could be a money bonfire for decades to come given the logistical nightmare of playing there.

These are interesting times for the NRL and its all-powerful chairman, Peter V’landys, as the ARL Commission ponders expansion to 18 teams, most likely from 2027 onwards.

V’landys’ blossoming bromance with Prime Minister Anthony Albanese suggests PNG is in the box seat. A decision on the 18th franchise is expected in the next six months but, as one figure from a rival bid huffs: “PNG is a fait accompli.”

Why? Mostly because of money. What else?

PNG Prime Minister James Marape often plays the China card in discussions with Australia and is now leveraging it, seemingly, to win an NRL club licence.

Not one to back away from an exciting game of diplomacy and international intrigue, Albanese has flagged $600 million of Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade funding over the next decade to support the bid.

So let’s be clear: $60 million a year. Not all of it will be invested in PNG rugby league, with some of the funds distributed throughout the Pacific region, but that’s a carrot V’landys can’t ignore.

Nevertheless, a few questions need to be asked of the Australian government.

For starters, why should the Australian taxpayer fund the establishment of a professional rugby league team in another country? And especially so when the country we live in is gripped by a cost-of-living crisis?

Personally, I would like to see $60 million given to the St George Illawarra Rugby League Football Club so they can buy some halves. Thank you.

DFAT already sinks millions into various sports across the Pacific region, including the PNG Hunters, who play in the Queensland state league.

Furthermore, the cornerstone of the PNG bid is how the franchise will be brimming with dollars from gold- and oil-company sponsorship if they are granted a licence. If that’s so, let Shell, or their equivalent, foot the bill.

There are questions, too, for the NRL.
    Logistically, a PNG team seems as easy to run as Woodstock ’94. For the first five years, the team would live and train in Cairns before flying in and out of Port Moresby via private jet. They are footballers, not Kardashians.

And after that? Will the city be safe enough to entice players from other clubs? If Canberra struggles to attract players because of its location, what about the PNG capital?

Then there’s these sobering questions: what if they suck? What if they win three wooden spoons? What happens when the politicians from both countries who hype the merits of a PNG team today are tipped out of government tomorrow?

The real problem with admitting a PNG team is it will mean snubbing – again – a rugby league powerhouse that’s ready to roll off the back of the truck.

Next into the NRL? Valentine Richard training with Papua New Guinea.

And no, it’s not the North Sydney Bears.

On paper, the Brisbane Tigers deserve to be the next team admitted. They have a storied 90-year history, winning premierships and banking cheques along the way.

They have more than 33,000 members, $25 million in the bank and $58 million in assets.

The Broncos and Dolphins might think it’s too early for a third Brisbane team, but the Redcliffe-based side’s success has shown that Queenslanders will attend rugby league every weekend of the year. You just have to give them a game.

Of greater significance to rugby league is that the Tigers can fortify the south-west corridor of Brisbane, an area that has become a battleground of sorts between the NRL and AFL.

The Brisbane Lions last year moved into their new $80 million training facility at Springfield in Ipswich while the AFL continues to aggressively shore up schools in the same way it targeted western Sydney a decade ago.

When former chief executive Gillon McLachlan said he wanted the AFL to “own” Queensland, he wasn’t joking.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    The SMH is reporting that the 4 NRL clubs are shitting red lights over US Visa conditions for their junket to Sin City. It has come to light that, even with a valid visa, US Customs may refuse entry to anyone who has ever been arrested by police in Australia or New Zealand.

Inside sauces who asked for anonymity due to the fact that they may be talking out of their arse said "FFS these are Mungos we're talking about here. We can't have half the playing squads refused entry - and we aren't even taking Matt Lodge!! I mean what are we gonna do - replace the double header and play the Sydney Sea Rabbits -V- The Bronx Chooks??"

More to follow.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash

Joey Manu set to leave Roosters to take up French rugby offer

Joey Manu has indicated to the Sydney Roosters that he will likely leave the club at the end of the season, as he weighs up multiple lucrative offers from French and Japanese rugby clubs.

Although Manu hasn’t signed a deal with a rugby union club yet, the Roosters are privately resigned to losing his services at the end of the 2024 season barring a dramatic change of heart.

https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/nrl...08-p5f3jn.html

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Big surprise to me, but Perth is the VERY overwhelming choice (70%) for NRL expansion in a poll of senior management at NRL Clubs. I thought it was premature with the Western Reds in 1995 and their arrival harmed a vibrant local first grade; then bastard Murdoch's (not so) Superleague War finished the job. I'm not involved these days, but I doubt WA is any better placed. I'm not keen. We don't want the Force's best young talent decamping to RL. PVL Usually gets his way but maybe not this time? The result is part an analysis of the main issues facing RL. Also surprising that AFL is not considered a big threat. Don't agree and I'm pretty sure that would not have been the case not so long ago.

Yes to PVL, no to PNG: Club bosses have their say on NRL’s biggest issues

https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/nrl...07-p5faic.html

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Big surprise to me, but Perth is the VERY overwhelming choice (70%) for NRL expansion in a poll of senior management at NRL Clubs. I thought it was premature with the Western Reds in 1995 and their arrival harmed a vibrant local first grade; then bastard Murdoch's (not so) Superleague War finished the job. I'm not involved these days, but I doubt WA is any better placed. I'm not keen. We don't want the Force's best young talent decamping to RL. PVL Usually gets his way but maybe not this time? The result is part an analysis of the main issues facing RL. Also surprising that AFL is not considered a big threat. Don't agree and I'm pretty sure that would not have been the case not so long ago.

Yes to PVL, no to PNG: Club bosses have their say on NRL’s biggest issues

https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/nrl...07-p5faic.html
    Interesting, after all the noise that Union isn't in the top six concerns for Clubs.

Re expansion, I would take that to mean "Perth or don't bother" from the Clubs?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Hard to say. Probably should have included. Surprised a 2nd Kiwi or Central Qld. Didn't rate higher.

vCash
    PNG is/was never a realistic option for an NRL side - legit one of the violent crime capitals of the world.

vCash
    Bulldogs need to go buy some more former Panthers players.

vCash
    Gobbing off after beating the perennial cellar dwellers in Round 1. That'll do me.

vCash
    Look at the time on the post.

I was gobbing off before we beat the perennial cellar dwellers.

Last edited by jargan83; 10-03-24 at 08:53.

vCash
    Every game in round 1 was an upset, except the Dragons beating Titans

vCash
    I'm changing my last tip to the Dolphins

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopper1 View Post
    I'm changing my last tip to the Dolphins
    That wouldn't be such an upset, I reckon. Averillo, Farnworth & Flegler are great additions.

PS.Names don't much more "pommy" than Herbie Farnworth.

Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 40 46 47 48 49 50 51 LastLast