Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fortescue to acquire Williams Advanced Engineering

Rookie
    vCash

Fortescue to acquire Williams Advanced Engineering

Not rugby related, but still...

Andrew Forrest describes how FFI is acquiring Williams Advanced Engineering in race to net zero

BTW, nothing to do with me, I just found this on twitter

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rookie
    vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowCooked View Post

Not rugby related, but still...

Andrew Forrest describes how FFI is acquiring Williams Advanced Engineering in race to net zero

BTW, nothing to do with me, I just found this on twitter
    Given their recent record, it's pretty safe to assume Williams is bargain basement

That being said, McLaren have done reasonably well with a private investor from outside the sport

C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

After Buying Some F1 Knowledge, Fortescue Is Racing Ahead With Battery-Electric Train

From Here

Fortescue Metals Group, the mining giant known in Australia for iron ore, is looking to be known for a little more, scooping up a company famous in the Formula 1 world, one that is working on battery-powered electric trains.

On Monday, Fortescue announced it was buying Williams Advanced Engineering (WAE), a UK-based provider of battery and electrification technologies. The deal is setting Fortescue back £164 million – a cool $310 million.

Once the deal is finalised, WAE will slot into Fortescue Future Industries, which is the mining giant’s green energy/green tech arm. But as it kicks off, the companies are getting started on a “battery electric train concept”.

“One of the first major projects to be developed will be a world leading battery electric train concept. Fortescue and FFI [Fortescue Future Industries] will announce further details on this early in 2022,” the company told its shareholders.

Before the deal was even announced, both companies had been working together on designing and building a prototype battery system to power an electric mining haul truck. It’s an important first step in the decarbonisation of Fortescue’s mining haul fleet.

If you’ve heard the name Williams Advanced Engineering before, it’s likely because the company was born out of Williams F1 in 2010. WAE has an interest in automotive, motorsport, defence, aerospace, life science and healthcare. But in recent years, WAE’s focus has been on electrifying vehicles across different industries, particularly through the development of battery modules and battery management systems.

“The acquisition of WAE provides critical technology and expertise in high-performance battery systems and electrification and will enable Fortescue to accelerate and support the decarbonisation of Fortescue’s mining operations,” Fortescue says.

In addition to the battery-electric train concept, the pair will be developing electric battery solutions for Fortescue’s mobile haul fleet and other heavy mining equipment to “accelerate the rapid abatement of diesel usage” to “achieve the decarbonisation of Fortescue’s mining operations by 2030”.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Not on the same scale but similar MO; following Tatterang's move into off-shore endeavors, they recently bought out one of Perth's leading marine maintenance & fabrication operations.

Plenty of potential sponsorship candidates rolling in.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Maybe Twiggy will help us (Perth) snatch the Australian GP from Melbourne!!! That would be the ultimate b*tch slap after the Rebels shenanigans

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Where do you think we'd have a Perth F1 race? Neither Perth Motorplex nor Wanneroo could host it. Personally, I'd like to see them race around Kings Park, but they'd argue it has too few straights for the DRS and overtaking.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Where do you think we'd have a Perth F1 race? Neither Perth Motorplex nor Wanneroo could host it. Personally, I'd like to see them race around Kings Park, but they'd argue it has too few straights for the DRS and overtaking.
    Name:  PerthGP.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  78.0 KB

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Close both narrows and the causeway for a week?Run all free practise and qualifying within a few metres of a commuter train?Expect any way government to upgrade any public road to F1 race quality?You're what optimistic people would call a visionary.

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Close both narrows and the causeway for a week?Run all free practise and qualifying within a few metres of a commuter train?Expect any way government to upgrade any public road to F1 race quality?You're what optimistic people would call a visionary.
    I attended the Monaco Grand Prix in 1977 or there abouts. I am not a petrol head but was on a business trip with the boss who was an ex rally driver, so he was not going to miss the GP for anything.
    Certainly that GP drew hundreds of thousands of tourists to Monte Carlo.

SlowCooked's route would blow Monte Carlo away for visual attraction and put put Perth on the world tourist map.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Aw shucks, thanks! While we're at it we should bid for the supercars as a warm up event

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    As well as what Gigs has said, that's about a 12 km lap. Most F1 tracks are 5-6 km so you have 50-60 laps (300 km race length). Your track would only allow ~25 laps, which makes pitstop strategy and safety car usage more onerous (and considering the use of the safety car in the last race ... )

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    (I am a huge Formula1 fan)

It should be noted that yes - the Monaco GP is Iconic. But it's also a compromise.

The cars are required to be modified;

A larger steering box is required to allow the cars to make the Grand Hotel Hairpin without doing a 3 point turn.

The Aero package the cars require is not used at any other circuit and slows the cars significantly.

A lack of run-off areas for safety.

A lack of areas for broken cars to be placed without the aid of Cranes.

A race close to a body of water requires the employment of multiple dive teams - should a car/cars finish up in the water. This is also for the Lake at Albert Park in Melbourne.

The Monaco GP has 70+ years of history and is beloved by all.

The Perth GP in the streets around the Swan River is a nice idea - but would be a very hard sell to the FIA. And not likely to find much support.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    (I am a huge Formula1 fan)

It should be noted that yes - the Monaco GP is Iconic. But it's also a compromise.

The cars are required to be modified;

A larger steering box is required to allow the cars to make the Grand Hotel Hairpin without doing a 3 point turn.

The Aero package the cars require is not used at any other circuit and slows the cars significantly.

A lack of run-off areas for safety.

A lack of areas for broken cars to be placed without the aid of Cranes.

A race close to a body of water requires the employment of multiple dive teams - should a car/cars finish up in the water. This is also for the Lake at Albert Park in Melbourne.

The Monaco GP has 70+ years of history and is beloved by all.

The Perth GP in the streets around the Swan River is a nice idea - but would be a very hard sell to the FIA. And not likely to find much support.
    You'd also likely be locking in residents who won't be able to get out of their apartments for a week.

That circuit is a flight of fancy and would never be contemplated in real life.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    That circuit is a flight of fancy and would never be contemplated in real life.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast