Thread: Springboks Rugby World Cup winner’s career in tatters after four-year doping ban

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Springboks Rugby World Cup winner’s career in tatters after four-year doping ban

Former Springboks fly-half Elton Jantjies’ career is effectively over after a four-year doping ban.

The 33-year-old tested positive for Clenbuterol, a drug that many bodybuilders use to cut weight and increase muscle mass, in June 2023.

He was handed a four-year sanction by the SA Institute for Drug-Free Sport (SAIDS) in August last year.

At the time of sanction, Jantjies vowed to prove his innocence as in a statement confirming his positive test for the banned substance.

“At this stage, I can say little more about the matter, save that I assure all my supporters that I have not and never will deliberately take a banned substance and that I will do everything in my power to prove my innocence,” he wrote in the statement.

“This is another setback in what has been a very volatile time for me, but I shall overcome this with the support of my family and friends. I know that there will be those out there who doubt my innocence, but I hope to prove you wrong, in due course. For those who support me, thank you.”

However, those were empty promises, as SAIDS confirmed that the Springbok has not exercised his right to have his case heard before an Independent Doping Hearing Panel (IDHP).

The latest development seemingly puts an end to the former fly-half’s career after a whirlwind 18 months.
    In mid-2022, he was arrested and charged with malicious damage to property and a contravention of the Aviation Act after he allegedly damaged property on an Emirates flight.

He was subsequently let off the hook as the criminal case was withdrawn, with the ex-Bok paying for the damages.

This was followed by him being sent home from the Springbok camp while South Africa were in Argentina to face Los Pumas during the Rugby Championship after an alleged affair with team dietician Zeenat Simjee made headlines.

Jantjies’ career
    Jantjies represented the Springboks on 46 occasions throughout his career, earning the last of those caps against Australia in August 2022.

He was part of the 2019 Rugby World Cup-winning squad that lifted the William Webb Ellis Cup in Japan, and while he was part of the Springboks set up as injury cover during the Rugby Championship last year, he was released without earning another cap.

During his career, he represented the Lions and Stormers in South Africa while also having stints in Japan with the Red Hurricanes and Shining Arcs. He also plied his trade in France representing Pau and Agen, the latter releasing him from his contract.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/othe...1363e1b7&ei=54

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Bloody mu....oh hang on.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David