Thread: NSW Waratahs hope fairweather fans show up

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

NSW Waratahs hope fairweather fans show up

Darren Walton
    AAP
    February 25, 2022 12:31AM

The NSW Waratahs are urging fairweather fans to come out and support their new-era Super Rugby Pacific team.

After opening the season with a 40-10 shellacking of competition newcomers Fijian Drua, the Waratahs face a test of their character and credentials against reigning Super Rugby AU champions Queensland on Friday night.

A dismal week of rain in Sydney threatens to scare off spectators but another grim forecast certainly hasn't dampened expectations within the NSW ranks following last year's winless campaign.

Unbeaten in three trial games before taming the Drua, the Waratahs hope 2022 marks an exciting new start under first-year coach Darren Coleman.

"They definitely deserve to have a good crowd. They have to date - in three trials and round one - played with commitment," Coleman said after Thursday's captain's run.

"Yeah, sure, we could be executing a little better but every team can.

"But I know if you come and watch them, they'll rip in. They'll make you proud to be a supporter.

"And if we keep doing that week in, week out, people will start respecting us and potentially some of the results and the stench that was around the organisation or whatever it may have been in the past will start to wash away.

"People will start being fans again and that's all we can ask."

The Reds showdown marks the start of five home games for the Waratahs at Leichhardt Oval, the spiritual burial ground of the NRL's Wests Tigers.

Coleman wants to make it a "fortress" for the Tahs and hope there's a big roll up on Friday night.

"The weather's a bit of a bummer but you never know. If the afternoon clears up, NSW people who are thinking of coming might find it a good attraction to them," he said.

"We can't have done too much more in the pre-season if someone wants to get on us.

"But obviously another good performance and hopefully a win will get some of the fairweather sailors out after (this round)."

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ru...w-up-c-5831095

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    That is pathetically sad

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Well, considering the conditions & how hard it is to get to Leichardt, they got a good turnout. They had enough territory, possession, refs calls to win 3 games. But the Reds minus the Toupu, then losing McDermott & Scott-Young wanted it more & out-gutsed them. Tahs still suck & its a thing of beauty.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Did that remind anybody of the force Brumbies game last week?

Waratahs unable to convert pressure into points losing it at narrowly after looking in the hunt the whole game.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Did that remind anybody of the force Brumbies game last week?
    Not me at least, I thought the Brumbies looked the marginally better side with ball in hand for most of the day. And it was they who couldn't really convert that pressure to put the Force away. On balance they would have been a touch unlucky to be pipped at the post.

Seems nobody at the SMH saw the comparison either. Not that you'd know, as according to them there was no match worth mentioning took place in Sydney last night. Certainly none worth a match report anyway.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Not me at least, I thought the Brumbies looked the marginally better side with ball in hand for most of the day. And it was they who couldn't really convert that pressure to put the Force away. On balance they would have been a touch unlucky to be pipped at the post.

Seems nobody at the SMH saw the comparison either. Not that you'd know, as according to them there was no match worth mentioning took place in Sydney last night. Certainly none worth a match report anyway.
    Interesting how points of view can differ I thought the Force were well in control of the momentum and possession for the majority of the match but unable to convert that possession into linebreaks and points.

SMH will avoid mentioning the Tahs losing to the Reds until they can find a positive, that might take a while

C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    To be honest - I thought the Tahs of last night reminded me of the Western Force 1.0 (pre-2018). lots of possession, for very few points. Reds scored when they wanted to, or more importantly, needed to.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco