Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Western Force v Reds Frida 4 March 2022

vCash

Western Force v Reds Frida 4 March 2022

The excitement is building up for the first home game of the season.

Membership E tickets received this morning.

Level 2 restriction announced at 2pm. Hopefully the 50% limited capacity includes all members as the numbers would be just below that I expect and with sponsors we are probably close or over the limit. Waiting with baited breathe to see what transpires .....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Appears that members may be all right as limit not yet reached if Tony Lewis comments are anything to go by:

Force chief executive Tony Lewis said the club had no choice but to “suck it up and move on”.

“We were hoping for a full house, we were planning for a full house, it went to 75 per cent and we were confident we were going to get that but hey - we’ve got a game on,” he said.

“We’ve got our team back in Perth so we’ve got to suck it up and move on. We’re not one to moan.

“It is what it is in these interesting times but we have a game and we’re very thankful for that.

We want everyone who is a supporter of rugby to get there so we get the 10,000 crowd.”

Read More Perth Now

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    It's time for Friends and Family and next-door neighbors of members to be invited to a game.

Its going to be a cracker and a very real chance that we can scratch up our second win of the season.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    I’d say membership is around the 4,000 mark, maybe 5,000??

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Maybe not for this game, but I'd really love to see Jackson Pugh, Michael McDonald and Grason Makara get a run at some point (maybe against the Drua?). I'd really love to see some form of GRR off the ground in the post Super rugby space. Our guys need games of rugby under their belts.

Or maybe some loaners out to Montpellier.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Agree on GRR, as I still think it would be the best way (and maybe only hope) to sort both Australian player development and engagement with Japanese clubs. But even if it hasn't all been stuck in the 'too hard' basket, it would probably still be a couple of years away given the continued lurgie disruption. A bloke can dream, but realistically they would have to be making plans now. It would be nice if it were an option in 2024 when SRP goes all up in the air again, but suspect all the eggs are in that basket.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Maybe not for this game, but I'd really love to see Jackson Pugh, Michael McDonald and Grason Makara get a run at some point (maybe against the Drua?). I'd really love to see some form of GRR off the ground in the post Super rugby space.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Agree on GRR, as I still think it would be the best way (and maybe only hope) to sort both Australian player development and engagement with Japanese clubs..

It seems the "wise" men in the East are thinking along their more traditional lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Marinos
    “You really have to take rugby back to where people are consuming it and where there is a natural following,” Marinos told me. “We have that in the Shute Shield and Hospitals Cup and that’s a great platform on which we can build. We don’t need to create any more franchises. I think we’ve got to enhance and embrace the existing ones we’ve got ... and drive that tribalism.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...01-p5a0np.html

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    It seems the "wise" men in the East are thinking along their more traditional lines
    No doubt; leopards don't often change their shorts. Doesn't make it the right call for everyone though, or mean everyone has to sing off the same songsheet.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I am inclined to think that it would be best if we try to foster an 6 team GRR and invite the Rebels along with the original players from pre-COVID (11 games- 2 home and away plus 1 final). Drua, Moana Pasifika, Force, Rebels, China/South China, Malaysia. Assuming the Drua and MP need time to get up to speed, the Force and Rebels could perhaps lone a few players to China/Malaysia.

Knowing my luck that time of year would be monsoon season.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Perhaps it would make all franchises more viable (possibly more sponsor exposure, more games for the wider training group, a bit of gate revenue perhaps, coach development opportunities).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Perhaps it would make all franchises more viable (possibly more sponsor exposure, more games for the wider training group, a bit of gate revenue perhaps, coach development opportunities).
    Honestly, for several years I think any form of NRC/GRR/Whatever you want to call it is going to lose much more than it makes. It needs to be understood that whatever is done is done for player development reasons rather than fiscal viability.

It might become a source of funds in the future, but even that isn't guaranteed. Given that the blokes who killed the NRC and any other suggestion that removes the Shite Shield from the Pinnacle of Aussie rugby live next door, Marinos isn't going to do a damn thing to change the status quo.

C'mon the

vCash
    That idea from Marinos is not totally without merit. Providing it includes Canberra, WA, VIC & Fiji; & possibly, say the grand finalists from Sydney & Brisbane. With that type of set up there'd probably be a need for the Tahs & Reds to be able to loan out any development players not already aligned to those clubs.

Just thinking aloud, really.A GRR type comp would be my preference too.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Force aim to run and stun Reds in Perth
    Justin Chadwick
    AAP
    March 2, 2022 11:00AM

Western Force coach Tim Sampson is banking on youth to run the Queensland Reds ragged in Friday night's Super Rugby Pacific clash in Perth.

The Reds are unbeaten after two rounds, but both games were played in wet and heavy conditions.

The Force hope those water-logged pitches will leave the Reds vulnerable in Friday's clash, with Sampson handing speedy scrumhalf Issak Fines-Leleiwasa a start in a bid to up the ante.

Fines-Leleiwasa, who replaces veteran Ian Prior in the starting side, will team up with 20-year-old playmaker Reesjan Pasitoa in an exciting 9-10 combination that has the potential to dazzle.

Pasitoa starred in the 29-23 loss to the Brumbies and the 28-3 win over the Rebels, while Fines-Leleiwasa impressed off the bench in both of those matches.

"I think it's exciting that they both can light up a game pretty easily and quickly," Sampson said of the former Brumbies teammates.

"They're pretty cool, calm, collected players. I think they're looking forward to playing with each other.

"We want to start pretty fast, and Issak brings that. He's very dynamic around the fringes of the breakdown.

"They (Queensland) have played a couple of games on a heavy deck, and travelling over here we want to try to start fast and wear them down in the first half to set up the game for the second half."

Utility back Bayley Kuenzle will miss a second straight game after copping a knock to the head in the season opener.

Sampson said he was playing it safe with Kuenzle, given he has now suffered two head knocks in a short space of time.

The Force secured a maiden Super Rugby AU finals berth last year when they beat the Reds 30-27 in Perth.

The Reds have plenty of motivation to turn the tables in Friday's rematch given the devastating floods that have hit Queensland.

"I'm sure they'll want to play for their state," Sampson said.

"They're going through a fair bit. They're a spirited side. Queensland rugby has a proud history.

"They've proven they succeed when their backs are against the wall. I go back to the 2011 floods - the Reds won the Championship that year."

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ru...erth-c-5899527

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Honestly, for several years I think any form of NRC/GRR/Whatever you want to call it is going to lose much more than it makes. It needs to be understood that whatever is done is done for player development reasons rather than fiscal viability.
    I think it realistically needs to include at least a couple of Japanese clubs. We are not alone in needing player development opportunities, and it would make for a much more stable organisation.

Senior Player
    vCash

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast