Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Simon Cron will be new Head Coach

Senior Player
    vCash
    Very sad to see Tim go but I understand the decision. I believe they have done it the right way, as much as these things can be done. They have not sacked him, he is just finishing out his contract. This was not a rash decision based on the shocking first 20 mins of Friday night.

We all know Twiggy's aspirations for the Force and he is not going to settle for us being the 3rd or 4th best team in Australia. I agree with him that Tim was probably not the guy that was going to take us to #1. I think we have taken big strides with the signings of Ozich, Tito and Rodda in particular and this is another piece in that puzzle to help get us to the top. Would like to see Kerevi next.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Media release "inadvertently" left lying on a boardroom table?
    During a meeting with Tim North and Rob Clarke?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Found this article from the SMH last year:

“The reason for me coming to Japan was working with Steve and a family decision. Steve made it really clear to me when he was talking about Japan he didn’t want to coach another team, he wanted to mentor a coach and he’d like me to be that person. That was very humbling.”

Hooper and Read, respective captains of the Wallabies and All Blacks in many Bledisloe Cup outings, have now joined forces in the Top League and love what Cron brings to the table as a head coach.

“He’s really cutting his teeth over here,” Hooper said. “I’ve certainly seen a growth in him since I last was coached by him. Being around Steve and Kieran and bouncing ideas off some of the other coaches up here ... he is only going to improve more and more.”

Read said Cron’s ability to remain calm, while navigating translation and COVID-19 complications, was admirable.

Hansen is keen to extend Cron’s Japanese contract and deep down hopes one day he can move into the Kiwi system.

“If Steve has anything to do with it, he’s only going one way when he comes back, which I believe is to New Zealand,” Read said. “As a coach you can go anywhere. I’ve been really impressed with what he’s done up here and I think he’s got a big future. It’s going to be up to him and his family.”

Not so fast, says Hooper, who played under Cron at the Waratahs in 2018 and 2019.

..... and guess where he has landed up!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Tazzmania; 29-03-22 at 14:15.
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Good to see that Tim Sampson has found a new home as assistant coach of the Melbourne Rebels.

He is an all round great guy and good to see that he has found employment in the field he loves and found a new home.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Rookie
    vCash
    There is definitely a coaching carousel at the moment:

Ben Herring is the new head coach at Toyota Verblitz, replacing Simon Cron.
    Cron is obviously the new head coach at Western Force, replacing Tim Sampson.
    Sambo is the new attack coach at Rebels, replacing Ryan Martin.
    Ryan Martin is the new assistant coach at Toyota Verblitz, working under...Ben Herring!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Simon Cron and family now in Perth.

vCash
    Bit stalker-ish

vCash
    6IX 11 am news just had a sound grab of Simon regarding his first week with the boys.

Cannot find a link to it, however in a nutshell mention he caught up with the boys, amongst other things they discussed that the new philosophy is about winning, no longer is just being competitive good enough, Ground Zero has been laid. They need to strive to be better and want more. The more I hear him the more I like what I am hearing.

Nice to finally start having the media in Perth giving us some kind of coverage no matter how small. As they say from little things big things grow.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    6IX 11 am news just had a sound grab of Simon regarding his first week with the boys.

Cannot find a link to it, however in a nutshell mention he caught up with the boys, amongst other things they discussed that the new philosophy is about winning, no longer is just being competitive good enough, Ground Zero has been laid. They need to strive to be better and want more. The more I hear him the more I like what I am hearing.

Nice to finally start having the media in Perth giving us some kind of coverage no matter how small. As they say from little things big things grow.
    If the eagles were playing finals there would be no room in any local press or radio for any such coverage, the Dockers are barley getting a mention and the biggest Perth sports story this week is about a racing car driver FFS.

But yes it is nice to get some coverage

Last edited by The InnFORCEr; 26-08-22 at 12:44.
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    If the eagles were playing finals there would be no room in any local press or radio for any such coverage, the Dockers are barley getting a mention and the biggest Perth sports story this week is about a racing car driver FFS.

But yes it is nice to get some coverage
    Pre-finals bye week this week probably helps as well.

vCash
    Western Force have sent an email today that has links to a longer radio interview (Sports Talk 6PR) and a TV Snippet

vCash
    Western Force have sent an email today that has links to a longer radio interview (Sports Talk 6PR) and a TV Snippet
    Does anyone have the link?

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WFDom View Post
    Does anyone have the link?
    https://youtu.be/3zlfzSJV2Hw

https://webplayer.whooshkaa.com/show...pisode=1036074

vCash
    Force players told to get Super buff

Thanks to Perth Now

New Western Force coach Simon Cron has set his sights on turning his side into one of the buffest teams in Super Rugby Pacific, and says simply making the finals won't be considered good enough.

Cron has been tasked with turning the new-look squad into a powerhouse after taking over as coach from Tim Sampson.

Pre-season training doesn't officially start until October 1, but Cron is keen to get the ball rolling early.

One of his initial aims is to add significant size and strength to his squad to help transform the Force into a beefed-up unit.

"One of the things we need to do is dominate the contact zone," Cron told AAP.

"Rugby is a pretty simple game. If you win the gain line, it goes a long way to winning the game.

"So right now we've increased the focus on weights and the mass.

"We're looking at nutrition, and our strength and conditioning coaches are working on world-class weights programs.

"It's about putting on lean muscle mass, not fat."

Super Rugby Pacific is a 12-team competition, with eight of those clubs qualifying for finals.

The Force only narrowly missed out last season despite posting a woeful 4-10 record.

Billionaire owner Andrew Forrest wants to turn the Force into one of the best rugby clubs in the world, and Cron is embracing the challenge.

It's why merely making the finals in 2023 won't be considered a success.

"I would not set the bar at finals, because it's too low a bar," Cron said.

"I'm not OK with it."

There has been plenty of player movement at the Force since the end of last season.

Veterans Jeremy Thrush, Richard Kahui, and Greg Holmes all retired, while Fergus Lee-Warner, Kyle Godwin, Santiago Medrano, and Jake McIntyre are among the players who have left the club.

Wallabies hooker Folau Fainga'a headlines the new recruits, which also includes former Rebels skipper Michael Wells and ex-Chiefs flyer Chase Tiatia.

The Force's acquisition of former Reds playmaker Hamish Stewart on a two-year deal was crucial after five-eighth Reesjan Pasitoa suffered a serious knee injury that could rule him out for the entire 2023 season.

Cron, a former NSW Waratahs assistant who was coaching Japanese club Toyota Verblitz when he was poached by the Force, wants to introduce an exciting style of play next season.

"The type of rugby will be high skill, high tempo type game, which I think suits the squad we have," he said.

"For me, ball beats man. We've got to make sure all our players can catch, pass, run, tap, trigger - all those things."

vCash
    Like James I'm not sold on Faainga for 1 year. Persevere with Kaituu and get a couple of seasoned props to bolster the tight 5. Perhaps the coach could enlist his uncle as scrum consultant and bring a tight head or two with him. (3 more Kiwis )

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast