Thread: Folau back in Test rugby with Tongans

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Folau back in Test rugby with Tongans

Staff Writers
    Reuters
    June 30, 2022 12:17PM

Israel Folau will return to Test rugby for the first time since he was sacked by Rugby Australia three years ago when Tonga take on Fiji in the Pacific Nations Cup on Saturday.

The 33-year-old, who scored 37 tries for Australia in 73 internationals between 2013 and 2019, was listed as "Isileli Folau" and named on the right wing for the match in Suva.

Folau, an evangelical Christian, had his Australia contract torn up in 2019 after he posted a meme on social media which said "hell" awaits homosexuals and other groups.

World Rugby's decision last year to allow players to switch their international allegiance paved the way for Folau to represent Tonga, coached by former Wallaby Toutai Kefu.

Former All Blacks Malakai Fekitoa and Salesi "Charles" Piutau were also included in the Tonga side at inside centre and fullback respectively.

Having become a pariah in Australian sport after his social media posts, Folau returned to rugby league in France in 2020.

He tried to revive his career in the sport in Australia but was blocked by local officials before switching back to rugby union last year, taking a contract with Japan's Shining Arcs.

"It's been awesome to be able to come back and have the opportunity to connect with the boys, and with the culture as well," Folau said in a video message this week.

"A big part of that is our faith in God as well."

Fiji head coach Vern Cotter named five new caps in his side for the Test, with former All Blacks centre Seta Tamanivalu looking to return to international rugby after a gap of five years from the bench.

Samoa and an Australia 'A' team will also compete in the July 2-16 Pacific Nations Cup.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ru...gans-c-7357017

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Veteran
    vCash
    a bit of a dig...

"A big part of that is our faith in God as well."

vCash
    Meanwhile, in another news scoop; former Irish Bog Snorkeling champion Phil McKavitty has announced he's coming out of retirement to enter the World Paint Drying Championship in attempt at dual international status.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I wonder how Folau interpreted the lack of divine providence in his injury on returning to test rugby.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Israel Folau's Test rugby return short-lived in Tonga's heavy 36-0 loss to Fiji

From ABC

Israel Folau's return to Test rugby lasted less than 30 minutes before he was injured during Tonga's 36-0 loss to Fiji in the Pacific Nations Cup in Suva.

He had scored 37 tries in 73 Tests for Australia before being sacked by Rugby Australia in 2019 for breaching its players' code of conduct.

Folau played for the Catalan Dragons in the European Super League before switching back to rugby union with the Shining Arcs in Japan's professional competition this year.

Changes in World Rugby eligibility rules allowed him to return to Test rugby and he did so on Saturday among nine players making their debut for Tonga.

Folau left the field with a leg injury in the 27th minute and was replaced by Tima Fainga'anuku, who made his debut for Tonga on the same day his brother Leicester was due to make his Test debut for New Zealand against Ireland.

Former All Black Charles Piutau also made his debut for Tonga.

That fire power was not enough to hold out Fiji, who was playing a Test at home for the first time in almost three years.

Earlier in Suva, Nigel Ah Wong scored an intercept try two minutes from full-time to give Samoa a 31-26 win over Australia A in the opening match of the tournament.

Samoa led 19-7 at half-time but Australia A rallied to level the score at 26-26 with a try to James Tuttle in 77th minute.

Australia A swept onto attack from the re-start but Ah Wong snatched a pass from Lalakai Foketi out of the air and dashed almost 80 metres to score the winning try, his second of the match.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco