Thread: Jones on crusade to get rugby flowing

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Jones on crusade to get rugby flowing

Melissa Woods
    AAP
    July 15, 2022 7:55AM

Eddie Jones wants international coaches to present a united front to World Rugby in order to speed the game up and make it more of a spectacle ahead of next year's World Cup.

Preparing for the Test decider at the SCG on Saturday night between Jones's England and the Wallabies, the master coach says the game is being over-officiated.

Jones felt lessons could be learnt from week's State of Origin rugby league clash, which was played at a furious pace.

The 80-minute Test match in Brisbane last Saturday stretched almost two hours with an incredulous 26 penalties, two yellow cards, the TMO (television match official) heavily involved, and even a drinks break.

The last New Zealand-Ireland Test also became a farcical card-fest.

"We've got to get a better balance in the game; we've gone too far, playing it like it's a tennis game and every decision has got to be right," Jones said from his team's Coogee beach headquarters.

"We've got to get back to having a rhythm and a flow in the game.

"The Origin game, there's a natural flow and rhythm in it and rugby, when it's played at its best and when we have the laws at the right level, we get that and we don't have it at the moment.

"Every time we get an a flow in the game there's a stoppage."

Jones has an ally in Rugby Australia, which faces fierce competition from rugby league and Australian Rules and needs a better product to sell to fans.

Drawing the best crowd to the Brisbane Test at Suncorp Stadium since 2013 and more than a million viewers across free-to-air and its streaming service, RA feels the sport is on the up.

But RA chairman Hamish McLennan acknowledged rugby could be sped up to improve the entertainment factor.

"It's a great philosophical debate within (rugby) circles at the moment, around the world, I personally think the game it's too elongated," McLennan told AAP.

"But player safety and welfare is of paramount importance so I understand both sides of the coin.

"Debates are happening as we speak so in the fullness of time, I hope that it will be addressed."

World Rugby has lowered the threshold for yellow and red cards, taking an ultra-cautious approach to head knocks and concussion in fear of legal ramifications.

While Jones supported that, he felt scrutiny of the game mid-match since the last World Cup in 2019 had become over the top.

He said that rugby could consider an approach like the NRL, with players put on report with the game's judicial system to further investigate, rather than increased use of the TMO.

"We go back, someone's taken out someone, well the referee couldn't see it so it can't be too bad," said Jones, who also coached the Wallabies between 2001 and 2005.

"We've got to keep the game safe, don't get me wrong, but accidental head contact and this incessant use of the TMO, we've got to cut that out."

With southern hemisphere teams travelling north for Tests later this year Jones felt it would an ideal time for national coaches, including Wallabies boss Dave Rennie, to gather and discuss their concerns.

"The referees, the coaches and the players need to get together and say this is the game we want, this is the game that people want to see and try to put together a forthright case as to the proper officiating of the game.

"I'm certainly going to be pushing for it because I've had enough.

"I don't want to see New Zealand-Ireland game like that ever again, when we don't even know how many people are supposed to be on the field.

"Imagine in the World Cup, you're playing a quarter-final, you get a red card, two yellows and you're down to 12 men, it's just ridiculous.

"The referees are being put under pressure here, we can't blame the referees.

"World Rugby are doing their best but we've just gone too far down one road but certainly before November I'm going to be agitating for something like that (a meeting)."

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ru...wing-c-7528119

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Lead by example Eddy, take England down the path of smaller, more mobile forwards that have only to break even at scrum time...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Jones who coaches his side to employ grubby tactics also want's the Ref less involved?

vCash
    I don't think there is anything intrinsically wrong with the laws. It's mainly tactics. I also think comparing to RL is about as relevant as doing the same with basketball and netball. If more "ball-in-play" is the goal, replace the endless scrum re-sets with a long arm penalty for not feeding the ball straight into the middle of the tunnel and end the technical restrictions when defending a rolling maul - bar deliberately collapsing. You should be able to (safely) defend an obstruction. Take the "deliberate knock-down" back to it's original intent, give "Sir" back some discretion and put some onus back on ball security with risky passes.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    More pack-play, more staying on your feet and driving on and the quick heads-up pick'n'drive, more three-quarter movements. Less repetitive one-out phases, less tries scored from a phase one metre out from the line after being camped there for 20+ phases. League is league, union is union. Give us back the running game, not the collision/phase/possession game. How to do this I wonder?

Last edited by chibi; 15-07-22 at 23:29.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Veteran
    vCash
    also... whats with the drinks break?? Especially straight after a try, where the players stand around and get a drink?