Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wallabies V South Africa - 27 August 2022

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Wallabies V South Africa - 27 August 2022

Alaaalatoa, Kellaway return as Wallabies welcome back stars for Springboks clash
    Thu, 25/08/2022, 10:57 am
    Nathan Williamson

Allan Alaalatoa and Andrew Kellaway are amongst a host of stars named for their return as Wallabies coach Dave Rennie names his side to face South Africa in Adelaide.

Alaalatoa will start at tighthead prop after missing the defeat to Argentina due to a family bereavement, joined by the returning Folau Fainga'a (concussion) and captain James Slipper.

Lock Matt Philip also earns a call-up, partnering Rory Arnold to complete the tight-five.

Meanwhile, Kellaway will make his return via the bench after overcoming a hamstring injury that has ruled him out of the past four Tests.

Rennie has gone with a 6-2 split to combat South Africa's 'Bomb Squad', with Kellaway and Tate McDermott the lone backs on the bench.

They are joined by the returning Dave Porecki (concussion) and Scott Sio (neck), with Taniela Tupou to inject energy off the bench.

“It's great to have a number of experienced players back in the mix this weekend," Rennie said in a statement.

"We understand that respect is earned daily and we get an opportunity to earn it against the current World Champions on Saturday afternoon."

In further changes, Reece Hodge has been elevated to fullback, pushing Tom Wright to the wing.

Hodge started in the final Test against England in Sydney, with Marika Koroibete rounding out the back three.

Noah Lolesio has won the race to the vacant flyhalf position, partnering with club teammate Nic White whilst Reds inside centre Hunter Paisami reunites with Len Ikitau after he missed the previous Test due to a head knock.

The Wallabies will play in Adelaide for the first time since 2004 as part of a double-header with the Wallaroos and Black Ferns.

"It's really motivating to be back at home in front of our supporters, especially in Adelaide, a place we haven't played at in 18 years," Rennie added.

Wallabies team to play South Africa at Adelaide Oval, Adelaide on Saturday 27 August, 3:00pm ACST

James Slipper (c) (119 Tests)
    Folau Fainga’a (30 Tests)
    Allan Alaalatoa (56 Tests)
    Rory Arnold (30 Tests)
    Matt Philip (24 Tests)
    Jed Holloway (2 Tests)
    Fraser McReight (4 Tests)
    Rob Valetini (23 Tests)
    Nic White (52 Tests)
    Noah Lolesio (12 Tests)
    Marika Koroibete (47 Tests)
    Hunter Paisami (18 Tests)
    Len Ikitau (17 Tests)
    Tom Wright (14 Tests)
    Reece Hodge (57 Tests) Replacements
    David Porecki (3 Tests)
    Scott Sio (71 Tests)
    Taniela Tupou (42 Tests)
    Darcy Swain (13 Tests)
    Rob Leota (10 Tests)
    Pete Samu (24 Tests)
    Tate McDermott (17 Tests)
    Andrew Kellaway (14 Tests)

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/wallab...tralia-2022823

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Boks' Bomb Squad still packs dynamite
    Wed, 24/08/2022, 5:03 pm

South Africa prop Vincent Koch is bracing for a "nice battle" with Australia's forwards as he dismissed suggestions the Springboks' famed 'Bomb Squad' will be less explosive in Saturday's Rugby Championship clash at Adelaide Oval.

Bok coach Jacques Nienaber has moved away from what had been his preferred 6-2 split on the bench between forwards and backs, which brought sustained physical and mental pressure on opponents in the final 20 minutes of games.

A string of injuries to backline players in Tests this year has seen the team having to play players out of position with little cover among the replacements, which has resulted in a return in Saturday's Test for Frans Steyn, who can cover flyhalf, centre and fullback.

That may weaken the impact of the Bomb Squad - the bench replacements - in the forward battle in the closing stages against the Wallabies and perhaps lead to a change of game-plan away from the relentless pressure imposed by their pack, but replacement prop Koch does not see it as an issue.

"It doesn't have a massive impact, each one of the Bomb Squad has a certain role, so if it is a 6-2 split or 5-3, we all know what to do when we get onto the field," he told reporters on Wednesday.

"Once we get a chance to go on the pitch we just have to perform and keep the intensity where the starters left off.

"Australia has a really good pack and a good front row on the bench as well. It's going to be a challenge, but our focus is mainly on us and what we can do better.

"We have to deliver what we have trained, and it's going to be a nice battle and a good challenge for us."

The Boks are looking for their first win in Australia since 2013.

“We haven’t beaten them in Australia in years, so this is an opportunity for us to grow as a team this weekend,” said reserve back Elton Jantjies.

“Hopefully whatever we planned will come off this weekend.”

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/wallab...namite-2022824

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    “We haven’t beaten them in Australia in years, so this is an opportunity for us to grow as a team this weekend,” said reserve back Elton Jantjies.
    Well they've got two bites of the cherry at it this year, just like we did on the Highveld back in 2010

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Of all the brain dead moves the Tigers have made in the last decade, and there's a shit-load, releasing Marika half way thru 2014 takes the cake. Too small.
    That was the best tackle since Greegs on Jeff Wilson.

Champion
    vCash
    Nic White is an absolute disgrace. He should be dragged from the game for that pathetic play acting, clutching his chest and falling over like he had been shot. The referee should never be allowed to blow a whistle again after the yellow card.

vCash
    I'm not 100% sold on Folau Fainga'a. I think Kaitu'u is a better line-out thrower and a better tackler. I hope Fainga'a doesn't get the nod ahead of Kaitu'u just because he's in the the Wallaby squad, as without his ill-timed injury I think Kaitu'u should have been adding to his caps this winter; look who the Wallabies have in the squad at the moment: Fainga'a, Porecki and Lonergan!

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    And with the outcome of the New Zealand - Argentina match the RC table is the inverse of the IRB rankings!

vCash
    Interesting year, wonder if all the results reverse in the next round?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Sky TV NZ "The Breakdown" should provide interesting analysis this week.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Senior Player
    vCash
    Well done to Argentina, what an exiting game to watch.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Nic White is an absolute disgrace. He should be dragged from the game for that pathetic play acting, clutching his chest and falling over like he had been shot. The referee should never be allowed to blow a whistle again after the yellow card.
    It was a soft yellow, but Faf was being a git all game to that point. Swain saw red from a nothing love tap. It's consistent at least.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    It was a soft yellow, but Faf was being a git all game to that point. Swain saw red from a nothing love tap. It's consistent at least.
    Swain's was a team yellow, wasn't it? Nothing particular about his action, but an accumulation of Wallabies penalties.
    ETA:
    Sorry, I was thinking of Valentini yesterday, not Swain against England.

Last edited by Sheikh; 28-08-22 at 10:46.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Aren't all No9's "gits?" White is the worst of the lot. His mo got ruffled, he looked at the ref, grabbed his chest as if he was having a heart attack and fell to the ground mortally wounded. Disgraceful milking of a nothing slap.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Is it any different to firing a pass into an off-side player on purpose?

He did what he had to do to get Faf to check himself. Wouldn't have happened if Faf wasn't faffing. That kind of play (sticking your arms out) is a recipe for an intentional knock-on.

I don't think he thought a yellow would come of it.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Player
    vCash
    Both 9s should’ve got yellow for buffoonery

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast