Thu, 25/08/2022, 2:13 pm
WM
by Western Force Media

After announcing his retirement at the closing of this year’s Super Rugby Pacific campaign, former Western Force lock Jeremy Thrush #179 has wasted no time in diving into the next chapter of his career.

Thrush enjoyed a memorable swansong that included a touching haka tribute from his hometown club the Hurricanes after the Force claimed a statement victory at HBF Park. The next week Thrush moved straight into coaching.

The former All Black #1120 is working as a coach within the Western Force Fortescue Academy alongside the likes of Greg Holmes #196, Richard Kahui #199, and Academy Head Coach Dylan Parsons under the guidance of Academy General Manager Chris Goodman.

“My main priority, with the Academy, is working with the forwards. I’m really enjoying the challenges involved with coaching and all the learning that comes with it,” Thrush explained.

“Coaching is really different experience to playing. As a player, you can show by doing, but as a coach, you must communicate in a way that all the players understand and can learn from.”

Thrush, who earned 12 Test caps with the All Blacks and 141 Super Rugby caps (38 with the Force), knew a move into coaching was on the cards ever since his time in the UK.

“I’ve had the idea since I left New Zealand to play for Gloucester in 2015,” he said. “When I first joined the Force there were opportunities to help with the lineouts, which allowed me to gain experience while still playing. “It’s been really fulfilling to share my experiences with the younger players to show them how I fixed certain problems during my career. It’s nice to be able to pass those lessons on to help them become better players.”

In terms of a coaching style, Thrush is all about communication and flexible organisation.

“As a player I was very structured in my planning, which has helped a lot with organising sessions,” Thrush remarked.

“But it’s important to accept that the plan isn’t always going to come to fruition. Some days you may need more time in particular areas than others. It’s not about ticking boxes, it’s about spending time wisely on the most important areas.

“Understanding players is pivotal. You can’t treat and communicate to each player in the same way, you have to understand what they respond best to.

“Perspective is so important, especially as a coach. Not everyone feels the same way or reacts the same way to feedback, which I learned a lot about in the latter stages of my career.

"The best coaches have a clear understanding of who their players are and how they like to go about their business. You use those learnings to formulate the tools to help them all in the best way possible.”

Having worked with a number of top class coaches throughout his career, Thrush admits there are instances where he pinches himself. “There are moments you’ll experience with coaches while playing where you say ‘I’ll never do that.’ Then you find yourself in situations where those exact words come out of your mouth,” he joked.

“Finding out how to use the computer has been a challenge! Coding game and training footage is new for me, but it’s been great to learn. I’ve always really enjoyed the analysis side of the game to figure out game plans.”

While working with the Academy, Thrush is also cutting his teeth with grassroots rugby.

“Wests Scarborough got in touch, and I’ve been helping out since the end of the Super Rugby season,” the 37-year-old recounted.

“It’s been great fun to work with the forwards on their lineouts, scrums, and some individual work. They’ve got a great bunch of players and coaches down there and they’ve enjoyed a strong season, hopefully there are a few more games to come in the finals for the Premier Grade side.”

Looking ahead, Thrush wants to soak up as much knowledge as he can.

“I want to upskill as much as possible. Communicating clearly and effectively in different environments – on the pitch or in meetings,” Thrush said.

“The Force has given me the opportunity to be with the Academy and be involved with the senior team coaches to pick their brains and take notes, which is fantastic for my development.”

https://westernforce.rugby/news/thru...sition-2022824