Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Worcester Warriors on brink of player exodus over unpaid August wages

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    Hope we can get Medrano back but my understanding was if he wants to play for Argentina he needs to play in Europe
    A dispensation might come into effect as a result of this though.

One article I read said many foreign players will struggle to get a contract this close to the start of their season with player quotas and Salary caps filling up

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Not sure how likely a return of Curtis Rona is looking now. He turned out for London Irish V Jersey Reds last weekend.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Not sure how likely a return of Curtis Rona is looking now. He turned out for London Irish V Jersey Reds last weekend.
    I'd be fine with signing Rona to play for London Irish for the rest of the year and he turns up in Perth in January, completely match-fit.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    English rugby club Worcester suspended
    September 27, 2022 12:34AM

English rugby union club Worcester have been suspended from all competitions with immediate effect after they failed to meet a Rugby Football Union (RFU) deadline requesting proof of insurance cover and funding for the club's monthly payroll.

The club was subsequently placed into administration at the owners' request by the UK government, who are the biggest creditor due to unpaid tax.

The developments left former Western Force player Fergus Lee-Warner, who made his debut for the club earlier this month, in limbo.

The 28-year-old New South Walian signed in April on a three-year deal commencing at the start of this season. He has played in all three of Worcester's Premiership matches this campaign.

The RFU wanted evidence of a "credible plan to take the club forward" by 5pm on Monday.

But the crisis-hit Warriors did not respond to those requests, and their season was been plunged into cold storage, with Worcester men's and women's teams both suspended.

Worcester are burdened by debts totalling more than PS25million ($A41m), including at least PS6m ($A10m) in unpaid tax, amid growing anger felt towards owners Colin Goldring and Jason Whittingham, who have been accused of asset-stripping the club.

The RFU said: "The owners of Worcester Warriors have not met the RFU's 5pm deadline to evidence insurance cover, availability of funds to meet the monthly payroll and a credible plan to take the club forward.

"The RFU has therefore suspended Worcester Warriors from all competitions, including the Gallagher Premiership, Allianz Premier 15s, U18s Academy Cup and Allianz Cup with immediate effect."

Worcester's Sixways Stadium is now closed - staff were given until Monday afternoon to collect belongings - with no indication when, or if, it will reopen.

The Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport then said it had agreed with a request from club directors to place Worcester into administration "in order to give the club the best possible chance of survival, and to protect a significant taxpayer investment."

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ru...nded-c-8364328

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Saw the RFU post on the socials yesterday and assumed there might be a bit of a fire sale given players will be chasing game time and I assume most NH squads are full.

vCash
    I'd think that a similar situation may occur as when the Force were cut - other sides can sign Worcester players and they may not count against the salary cap/squad size. There are a number of internationals in the Worcester squad (although most are non-English) and there'd be a push to ensure that they don't miss out on game-time and preparation in a RWC year.

Player
    vCash
    A double whammy for FLW ….. Overlooked by the Australian Talent Scouts?? …, now this . I hope he finds a team where he can grow….. Such a massive talent .

vCash
    FLW is a New South "Walian"? So are there about 3 million Wailians in the west of the UK who are very into Rugby & loud "wailing"?

Why don't the RFU secretly fund Worcester's debts to keep them afloat? Been done before.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    Really feel for Fergus! Hope it gets sorted for him soon

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    Really feel for Fergus! Hope it gets sorted for him soon
    maybe his manager should reconsider his fees,lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    FLW is a New South "Walian"? So are there about 3 million Wailians in the west of the UK who are very into Rugby & loud "wailing"? Why don't the RFU secretly fund Worcester's debts to keep them afloat? Been done before.
    I would assume that Worcester don't have anybody on the board to collect on favours and arrange this

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I would assume that Worcester don't have anybody on the board to collect on favours and arrange this
    They could buy the franchise for a £ ……🧐

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsetal06 View Post
    They could buy the franchise for a £ ……��
    Which makes it cheaper by the day.

vCash
    It appears that Fergus will be loaned out to Bath, just in time as Worcester issue memo stating players now train and gym at their own risk as medical insurance has been stopped. Glad he has found an option in terrible circumstances.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    It appears that Fergus will be loaned out to Bath...
    Bath haven't had a great start to the season (0-4) and one area they've been lacking is a settled back row, so hopefully Fergus can cement a place there. Bath have 4 international locks, so I don't think Fergus will get much of a run there, though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast