Thread: Force appoint Eggleston as new Defence Coach

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Force appoint Eggleston as new Defence Coach

Wed, 31/08/2022, 7:28 am
    by Western Force Media

The Western Force is thrilled to announce Will Eggleston as defence coach for the next two seasons.

Eggleston joins the Force from Japan Rugby League One side, Toyota Verblitz, where he was assistant coach since 2019. Eggleston worked with Director of Rugby Steve Hansen (former All Blacks Coach), and current Western Force head coach Simon Cron.

Eggleston will bring a wealth of experience to the Force following more than a decade of coaching in the Northern Hemisphere, Shute Shield, and Japan.

Stretching eight years Eggleston’s and Cron’s solid coaching combination commenced back in 2014 at the Northern Suburbs Rugby Club. Here the formidable duo lifted the club out of a 41-year drought, claiming victories in both the 2016 Shute Shield and Australian Club Championship.

General manager of rugby Matt Hodgson is pleased to be adding further depth to the coaching panel.

“What attracted us to Will was his past success working alongside Simon at Norths and Toyota, his ability to change the defensive structure and systems at Toyota was exciting,” Hodgson said.

“Will’s youthfulness, energy, and passion towards defence is infectious, not only does he look at systems and structures he also looks at tackle technique, tackle process and where individual players can improve.”

Having already met with most Force players, Eggleston is thrilled with how the current crop exude a tenacious appetite for personal and team progression.

“My initial thoughts were that they are hungry to win. They are open to new ideas and are eager to grow both as a team and as individual players, that’s what I find exciting,” Eggleston claimed.

“My aim is to bring complete clarity in each players defensive role, to instil confidence, and with that comes execution.”

Known as an approachable coach, Eggleston’s expectation for players to take initiative of their defensive development is paramount.

“We don’t accept mediocracy, through defence players demonstrate their grit. Defensive repeat efforts are the backbone of working hard for each other and for the jersey, that’s what I expect and what I will push for,” Eggleston claimed.

https://westernforce.rugby/news/forc...-coach-2022830

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Champion
    vCash
    New Western Force defence coach Will Eggleston says ‘we don’t accept mediocracy’
    Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Wed, 31 August 2022 8:06AM

New Western Force defence assistant Will Eggleston has reunited with head coach Simon Cron as the Super Rugby club continues its rebuild towards next season.
    Eggleston has followed Cron from Japanese side Toyota Verblitz, but the pair have an association that stretches back eight years.
    They first teamed up at Shute Shield club Northern Suburbs in 2014 and two years later ended a 41-year silverware drought to win the premiership and the Australian club championship.
    “I’ve had a long relationship with Simon,” Eggleston said.
    “We know each other’s game pretty well, each other’s s strengths and weaknesses.”
    Eggleston, 30, also worked as a backs coach and in skills and attack before switching to defence.
    “You try not to stay in a silo,” he said.
    “You don’t want to be labelled, you want to grow your game and knowledge.
    “I’m happy either side of the ball to be honest.
    “Knowing attacking structures and the way people think helps with my defensive mindset.
    “Ultimately, in defence, we’re trying to get the ball back as quickly as possible.
    “We’ve got some really exciting players. I want to see them with ball in hand as much as people that buy tickets to watch.”
    After serious injuries playing club rugby with Leicestershire club Melton Mowbray Eggleston, 30, began coaching age group teams and worked with the Leicester Tigers academy.
    He recently returned to the premiership title holders for professional development with coach Steve Borthwick.
    Eggleston, who has signed a two-year deal said the Force squad had an appetite for improvement.
    “They are hungry to win,” he said.
    “They are open to new ideas and eager to grow both as a team and as individual players.
    “That’s what I find exciting.
    “My aim is to bring complete clarity in each players defensive role, to instil confidence. With that comes execution.
    “We don’t accept mediocracy.
    “Through defence players demonstrate their grit.“Defensive repeat efforts are the backbone of working hard for each other and for the jersey, that’s what I expect and what I will push for.”
    Force rugby manager Matt Hodgson said: “What attracted us to Will was his past success working alongside Simon at Norths and Toyota.
    “His ability to change the defensive structure and systems at Toyota was exciting.
    “Will’s youthfulness, energy, and passion towards defence is infectious.
    “Not only does he look at systems and structures he also looks at tackle technique, tackle process and where individual players can improve.”

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    New Western Force defence coach Will Eggleston says ‘we don’t accept mediocracy’
    Nick Taylor
    The West Australian
    Wed, 31 August 2022 8:06AM

New Western Force defence assistant Will Eggleston has reunited with head coach Simon Cron as the Super Rugby club continues its rebuild towards next season.
    Eggleston has followed Cron from Japanese side Toyota Verblitz, but the pair have an association that stretches back eight years.
    They first teamed up at Shute Shield club Northern Suburbs in 2014 and two years later ended a 41-year silverware drought to win the premiership and the Australian club championship.
    “I’ve had a long relationship with Simon,” Eggleston said.
    “We know each other’s game pretty well, each other’s s strengths and weaknesses.”
    Eggleston, 30, also worked as a backs coach and in skills and attack before switching to defence.
    “You try not to stay in a silo,” he said.
    “You don’t want to be labelled, you want to grow your game and knowledge.
    “I’m happy either side of the ball to be honest.
    “Knowing attacking structures and the way people think helps with my defensive mindset.
    “Ultimately, in defence, we’re trying to get the ball back as quickly as possible.
    “We’ve got some really exciting players. I want to see them with ball in hand as much as people that buy tickets to watch.”
    After serious injuries playing club rugby with Leicestershire club Melton Mowbray Eggleston, 30, began coaching age group teams and worked with the Leicester Tigers academy.
    He recently returned to the premiership title holders for professional development with coach Steve Borthwick.
    Eggleston, who has signed a two-year deal said the Force squad had an appetite for improvement.
    “They are hungry to win,” he said.
    “They are open to new ideas and eager to grow both as a team and as individual players.
    “That’s what I find exciting.
    “My aim is to bring complete clarity in each players defensive role, to instil confidence. With that comes execution.
    “We don’t accept mediocracy.
    “Through defence players demonstrate their grit.“Defensive repeat efforts are the backbone of working hard for each other and for the jersey, that’s what I expect and what I will push for.”
    Force rugby manager Matt Hodgson said: “What attracted us to Will was his past success working alongside Simon at Norths and Toyota.
    “His ability to change the defensive structure and systems at Toyota was exciting.
    “Will’s youthfulness, energy, and passion towards defence is infectious.
    “Not only does he look at systems and structures he also looks at tackle technique, tackle process and where individual players can improve.”
    Lot of criticism of coaching in oz from Kearney and given he was at the force guess lot directed at them. Hopefully appointments like this go some way to improving the coaching at the force.