Thread: Versatile Kalapu joins the Force

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Versatile Kalapu joins the Force

Thu, 01/09/2022, 7:28 am
    WM
    by Western Force Media

The Western Force is delighted to announce the signing of Felix Kalapu on a long-term deal ahead of the 2023 Super Rugby Pacific season.

The 22-year-old, who can play as a second rower and back-rower, joins the Force from Major League Rugby side for Old Glory DC in the United States

Kalapu is currently playing for Auckland in the National Provincial Championships alongside homegrown Force lock Jackson Pugh.

A product of Auckland Grammar School, Kalapu is looking forward to making his mark on the Super Rugy competition.

“I am excited, this is an awesome opportunity to play in Western Australia and get involved with the culture,”Kalapu said.

“This new chapter in my life is a long commitment that I feel extremely grateful about, especially to learn from some of the best coaches in the country.”

General Manager of Rugby Matt Hodgson is pleased to be adding further young talent to the squad.

“Felix is a player that has shown great potential throughout the early stages of his career,” Hodgson said.

“As a forward, he has versatility in his game and abrasiveness in the contest, which is always a great asset to have. “His best rugby is ahead of him and we’re looking forward to seeing him develop his game to a new level in the years to come.”

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/versat...-force-2022831

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Another back/2nd-rower? Hope he's versatile enough to play THP.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    It appears that he is playing for North Harbour now:

Started at 5 against Canterbury last night, have not yet seen the match but now there is an added interest.

Name:  Screenshot 2022-09-01 085519.png
Views: 337
Size:  29.1 KB

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    His stats from the round four NPC match v Hawkes Bay:

Round Four:
    Hawkes Bay v North Harbour
    Bench came on after 28 Minutes, 3 Passes 8 Tackles 0 Missed tackles 0 Kicks 0 Clean breaks 2 Metres carried 1 Defenders beaten 0 Turnovers won

Round five V Canterbury not yet to hand

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Western Force sign versatile young forward Felix Kalapu on three-year deal

Nick Taylor at The West:

Western Force have signed versatile forward Felix Kalapu on a three-year-deal ahead of the 2023 Super Rugby Pacific season.

Kalapu, 22, who can play in the second row or as a flanker, is currently with Auckland in the New Zealand National Provincial Championships packing down with local Perth talent Jackson Pugh.

Kalapu, who has also been playing for US Major League club Old Glory DC, is a product of Auckland Grammar School.

“This new chapter in my life is a long commitment that I feel extremely grateful about, especially to learn from some of the best coaches in the country,” he said.

“I am excited. This is an awesome opportunity to play in Western Australia and get involved with the culture.”

Force rugby manager Matt Hodgson believes Kalapu’s best rugby is ahead of him.

“Felix is a player that has shown great potential throughout the early stages of his career,” Hodgson said.

“He has versatility in his game and abrasiveness in the contest which is always a great asset to have.

“His best rugby is ahead of him and we’re looking forward to seeing him develop his game to a new level in the years to come.”

Kalapu will fill the hole left by Fergus Lee-Warner who left at the end of last season after five years at the Force to join Worcester Warriors who are now on the brink of a player walkout over unpaid wages.