Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Portugal knock the US out and quality for the World Cup

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tjs10 View Post
    The US aren't the biggest global interest though.
    I'd guess it will still be a big consideration. US population is probably 3-4 times that of all major Rugby nations put together and only the No 1 sport in the smallest of those. We shall see.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    But WR gets the broadcast money, while US rugby only gets ticket sales. No skin off their nose when those games are...not likely to make much difference to attendances, especially if it is mostly tourists. Maybe that is Australia's cunning plan to get some money this time..."Bung us a wedge of the broadcast cash, or the top teams get Wednesday 2am in their home country..."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    Anything makes more sense than this world cup in Qatar
    .....and FIFA, after taking the 30 pieces of silver are getting all the negative reaction they deserve. But still don't seem to give a flying f@ck.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Yes, when it mattered Soccer have really failed the "walk the talk" test, haven't they? Can't help but wonder how Rugby would have done...

vCash
    I'd like rugby to look at the way cricket approaches world cups, a bit more of a top-down approach, with a view to planning the future. I liked the selection of Japan as a host and giving them time to prepare. Next year's world cup could have been France and Italy, with big games in Italy and the heavy lifting done by France; something like in '99 when Wales were the "host" but the bulk of the games were outside the principality. As a matter of fact, European club rugby could've helped with this by staging a few Euro club final weekends in Italy on the way to Italy co-hosting next year. It's a shame Argentina has no local partners in their region who could do the same for them when they host.

Speaking of the Americas, the USA's and Canada's failure to qualify for the Rugby World Cup is inversely reflected by both nations qualifying for the FIFA World Cup, (Canada in first position) and their impressive play in their opening fixtures. A worry for rugby perhaps?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    There's talk of expanding the RWC to 24 teams for the 2031 edition (in the USA), and at the moment Argentina are 7th in the IRB rankings, with Uruguay 17th, Chile 22nd and Brazil 27th. So there's a chance of 4 South American teams for that RWC, and if Argentina hosted (in 2035) with some local co-hosts then there's plenty of large capacity rectangular stadia in those countries.

The problem with South America is that there's often very little infrastructure to allow travel between cities other than by air. OK for the teams but costly for the supporters and gets complicated moving large numbers. It would also mean 2 RWCs in the Americas which some of the tier 1 nations might baulk at.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    They're wanting to expand the RWC??? Getting into rugby league territory here

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    I'd like rugby to look at the way cricket approaches world cups, a bit more of a top-down approach, with a view to planning the future. I liked the selection of Japan as a host and giving them time to prepare. Next year's world cup could have been France and Italy, with big games in Italy and the heavy lifting done by France; something like in '99 when Wales were the "host" but the bulk of the games were outside the principality. As a matter of fact, European club rugby could've helped with this by staging a few Euro club final weekends in Italy on the way to Italy co-hosting next year. It's a shame Argentina has no local partners in their region who could do the same for them when they host.

Speaking of the Americas, the USA's and Canada's failure to qualify for the Rugby World Cup is inversely reflected by both nations qualifying for the FIFA World Cup, (Canada in first position) and their impressive play in their opening fixtures. A worry for rugby perhaps?
    I wouldn't look at Cricket for planning World Cups given how they've limited non-Test playing nations access to the World Cup in ODI and the stupid qualifying tournament before the last two T20 World Cups.

I believe the next T20 world cup is going to be expanded to 20 nations but they'll still play 1 million games before they reach the business end of that tournament.

Rookie
    vCash
    They're wanting to expand the RWC??? Getting into rugby league territory here
    There was talk previously (as part of an unsuccessful bid by England as I recall?) of having two tiers of RWC taking place at the same time.

ie a "Tier 1" RWC reduced to 16 teams, and a "Tier 2" RWC for an additional 16 teams.

The rationale was that it expanded the number of nations able to participate, but also reduced down the likelihood of blow-out scores from mis-matches in the main tournament.

Positives included the expansion element for minor nations & the raised profile & opportunity to play for players from emerging nations, but disadvantages included a reduction in opportunities for emerging nations to play against the professional sides, and the likelihood that the 2nd tier event to be side-lined by the media and the public in favour of the showpiece tournament.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Only way I can see that really working is if it replaced the pointy end of qualification, was played the year before, and was played in one of the aspirant countries. Prove they can play for a berth at the big show, and host to prove you could manage the big tournament.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2