Thread: Wallabies suffer surprise Rugby World Cup blow

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Wallabies suffer surprise Rugby World Cup blow

Story by Sam Worthington • 23m ago

The Wallabies have suffered a blow to their Rugby World Cup plans with assistant coach Scott Wisemantel surprisingly resigning just eight months out from the tournament.

A Wallabies statement said Wisemantel made the decision "effective immediately."

After working alongside Eddie Jones with England, Wisemantel re-joined the Wallabies in 2020 and was responsible for the team's attack.

Watch the 2022-23 English Premiership Rugby season on the home of rugby, Stan Sport. All matches streaming ad-free, live and on demand

A replacement is yet to be found for the highly regarded coach.

The statement said Wisemantel made the decision to turn his focus to his family, including three young daughters, as well as business interests outside of rugby.

"Scott's a top man and one of the best coaches I've ever worked with," Wallabies coach Dave Rennie said.

"He's hugely respected around the world, has a mountain of experience at International level and an incredible rapport with our players.

"While we did all we could to try and keep Scott, we respect his decision and wish him, Gabs and the girls all the best.

"He's been a massive part of this group for the past three years and we'll miss him."

Wisemantel was also quoted in the statement.

"While this has been a very difficult decision, it's one that's best for me and my family at this point in time," Wisemantel said.

"The World Cup is the pinnacle of our sport and requires 100 per cent commitment and that's something I'm unfortunately unable to give at the moment.

"I've loved being with this team under Dave and wish them all the best for their season and in the World Cup later this year."

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/more...c99226c9d0f602

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Has anyone noticed our attack being better over the last 3 years, with Wisemantel in place as attack coach?

From 2017-19 (so the last 3 years of Cheika's reign, not a high point of Australian rugby) we played 37 tests, with a 17-2-18 record and scored 952 points @ 25.7 per game.

Since 2020 we played 34 tests, with a 13-3-18 record and scored 765 points @ 22.5 per game.

Oh, and we dropped to 9th in the IRB rankings in 2022.

So did Wisemantel jump, or was he pushed?

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Bloody stupid if that's the case. We aren't losing games because of our attack. We are losing due to poor discipline and poor ball security/breakdown work. Neither rest with Wisemantel. I wouldn't say I'm a massive fan, but I don't like scapegoating.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    The attack was the one good thing we really had going

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    wouldn't say I'm a massive fan, but I don't like scapegoating.
    Unfortunately scapegoating is business as usual at rugby Australia.I actually wouldn't be looking at Dave Rennie as the bloke being protected. When you look at our faults, most of them are within the purview of Dan McKellar, who you would assume is also the cause of the number of Brumbies players who have continued selection despite massive underperformance.I assume this is an outcome of the extensive review

C'mon the