Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Eddie Jones to replace Dave Rennie as Wallabies coach

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Eddie Jones to replace Dave Rennie as Wallabies coach

Mon, Jan 16, 2023, 6:56 AM
    Nathan Williamson

The announcement was made on Monday, with Rennie stepping down from the role he took over after the 2019 World Cup.

“I would like to thank Dave for his hard work and effort with the Wallabies – we are grateful for all that he has done for Australian Rugby,” RA CEO Andy Marinos said in a statement.

“Dave has been instrumental in developing much of the depth that we see in and around the current Wallabies squad; there are a number of players that are genuine World Cup possibilities because of opportunities that Dave has provided.

“The work ethic, the spirit within the group, and the way the team carries itself are all a direct result of Dave’s input – he has made a real mark on this group of players.”

Jones steps into the role at the end of January, signing a five-year deal with Rugby Australia, taking him through until the 2027 World Cup.

This will see the former England boss oversee both the Wallabies and Wallaroos program.

Jones returns to the role he held in 2001 after he was dismissed as England coach in December.

“It is a major coup for Australian Rugby to have the best coach in the world return home to coach the iconic Wallabies and to oversee the Wallaroos program,” RA Chairman Hamish McLennan added.

“Eddie’s deep understanding of our Rugby system and knowledge of our player group and pathways will lift the team to the next level.

“Eddie instinctively understands the Australian way of playing Rugby – this represents an opportunity to secure a coach of immense expertise and experience at the biggest competitions, and we did not want to miss it.”

England coach Eddie Jones and captain Courtney Lawes spoke after the decider at the SCG.
    The 62-year-old was excited about the chance to return to Australia and coach the national side.

“It is a wonderful opportunity for me to be able to come home to Australia and lead my nation to a Rugby World Cup,” he said.

“It is going to be an immense period for Australian Rugby – as a proud Australian, it is a great honour to be able to come home and lead the national team during these years.

“The Wallabies squad is a really talented group of players with good depth – if we can have everyone fit and healthy going into the World Cup this year, I am confident that we can go to France and break the 24-year drought of winning the Rugby World Cup.

“I saw how gutsy the Wallaroos were in the Rugby World Cup in New Zealand last year – it looks like there is a real spirit in that group that will drive the women’s program forward ahead of their next World Cup in 2025.

“I am really looking forward to getting back home and getting stuck in.”

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/eddie-...-coach-2023115

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    This will leave people wondering, including me. But McLennan has a history of making quick & correct hard decisions - playing hard-ball with the NZRU & securing RWC 2027 among them .
    There's no doubting Jones' coaching credentials & he claims he's style is evolving; so I'm hoping the boss is on the money again. Unfortunately, Rugby a business these days, a results driven business - and despite some green shoots showing Rennie couldn't deliver. But lately neither did Jones

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Apprentice
    vCash
    Can't see any logical in this decision. Eddie Jones got fired by England because they didn't think he would get England to the WC final and the ARU thinks he can.Rennie was going to move on after the WC anyway. Not the coaching style I would want for a young talented side. Should have let Rennie finish the job. And a five year contract utterly clueless.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    So will Eddie win the one match in the tournament nobody expects him to win and then fuck up the next game straight after?

2003 beat New Zealand, then lose to England
    2015 beat South Africa, then lose to Scotland
    2019 beat New Zealand, then lose to South Africa

I know he's not prone to it, but if Eddie can get some advice from, or is open to suggestions from, other coaches who have won tournaments before and can help him think outside his tunnel-visioned automaton rugby, then we may have something good here. But the Negative-Nelly in me feels this period of time may be too short for him and it will tank like the Brumbies in 1998 and Queensland in 2007.

Please prove me wrong Eddie

(Where's Link though???)

Last edited by chibi; 16-01-23 at 10:46.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    2015 beat South Africa, then lose to Scotland
    Probably a little hard on Japan for losing to Scotland in 2015 given they played 2 games in 4 days, whilst it was Scotland's first of the tournament.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    So will Eddie win the one match in the tournament nobody expects him to win
    Long as it's the final who GAFF?......anyway Jargs has already trashed your theory with a fact bomb.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Totally trashed. Oh my god, I don't know how I'll be able to live with myself, I just got fact-bombed.

Yass queen, manifest yo.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Don't forget McKenzie was booted 11 months out from 2015 RWC, replaced by Cheika and the Wallabies went all the way to the RWC final and were "just" beaten by the AB's....just a little bit of history repeating.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    "just"
    Dan Carter outscored the Wallabies!

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Dan Carter outscored the Wallabies!
    "just"

vCash
    Eddie Jones looms as England's 'nightmare'
    Ian Chadband
    AAP
    January 18, 2023 1:20AM

Black humour has become the order of the day down Twickenham way after news that Eddie Jones is back "like Freddie Krueger in a tracksuit to haunt English dreams".

This vivid image, from the Guardian's distinguished rugby correspondent, summed up how the English game has reacted with a guffaw - but also a faint hint of panic - to the idea of RFU bigwigs discarding their Aussie coach only for him to re-emerge in green and gold as their World Cup nemesis.

The potential 'Nightmare on Cabbage Patch' is that dear old Eddie, armed with that Cheshire Cat grin and his vast inside knowledge of the England team, will wreak his ultimate revenge for being canned - very possibly in the quarter-final in Marseille.

One former England international Ugo Monye was even left joking - at least, it sounded as if he was joking - that Eddie had plotted this scenario all along over the last 12 months of his ailing reign at HQ.

"Did he sack Dave Rennie by taking England down there (to Australia) in the summer and winning that series?" laughed Monye on the BBC Rugby Podcast.

"This is his masterplan - he's got a seven-figure pay-off, he's got Australia, he's sacked Dave Rennie!"

The Guardian's man Robert Kitson painted the scenario: "Imagine if the Wallabies end up facing England in the knockout stages of this year's Rugby World Cup? And beating them.

"The RFU's decision to sack Jones last month would go down as one of the all-time great corporate howlers."

"It is a dream scenario for the Tasmanian - potentially, one of nightmares for the suits at Twickenham," agreed the Daily Mirror's rugby correspondent Alex Spink, recognising the 62-year-old Jones as the real winner.

National papers were left concentrating on how the Wallabies' signing must have happened, with the UK's Daily Telegraph reporting that "secret talks" had gone on for 14 months between Jones and his former employers at RA.

Oliver Brown, the Telegraph's chief sports writer, noted: "It has the potential to be an unholy mess, borne of the RFU's choice not to introduce a non-compete clause in Jones' severance package.

"Suddenly, he has all the ingredients he needs to inflict brutal revenge on his former employers.

"Homecomings do not come any more piquant, or more laced with intrigue. For the RFU, it could yet be a hellish reminder of what they have lost.

"Jones is seldom more dangerous than when he makes it personal."

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ru...mare-c-9480410

vCash
    Well it didn't take Eddie long to start generating click-bait. Is it really 20 years since Sailor, Tuquiri & Rogers? From his shopping list I'd say.....

1. Suaali'i
    2. Penisini
    3. Murray
    and maybe,
    4 Crichton.

......are worth consideration.

I'd dare him pick Albert Hopoate - just to see GIGS blast off like the Space Shuttle.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/mor...18-p5cdj8.html

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I'd dare him pick Albert Hopoate - just to see GIGS blast off like the Space Shuttle. https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/mor...18-p5cdj8.html
    If he's a soulless mungo, you know I'm going bite right?

C'mon the

vCash
    A little clarification required here please. Are Mungos who played GPS and made the Oz schools team still soulless? Wottabout junior mungos who are enticed by GPS scholarships & make Oz schools only to go back to RL? Is that biting the hand that didn't feed you quite enough? Do they therefore have to go through a purification ritual in order to get their souls back. Or what?

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Mungo's are Bad. Mmmm'kay

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast