Thread: Rugby Australia locks in key 2023 jigsaw piece

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Rugby Australia locks in key 2023 jigsaw piece

Story by Sam Worthington • 25m ago

Rugby Australia has re-signed Wallaroos coach Jay Tregonning for the 2023 season as it pushes forward towards a professional future for the women's game.

Tregonning guided Australia to the quarter-finals of last year's Rugby World Cup and he will be supported by assistant coaches Scott Fava and Sione Fukofuka.

Tregonning will also report to new Wallabies coach Eddie Jones, who will also oversee the Wallaroos program.

Watch the 2023 Super Rugby Pacific season on the home of rugby, Stan Sport. All matches streaming ad-free, live and on demand

"Although making it through to the quarter-finals at the Rugby World Cup in New Zealand was a great achievement, the players and staff are hungry for more success," Tregonning said.

"The whole program is excited about the prospect of Eddie Jones having input into the program – being able to collaborate with one of the world's best coaches, and being able to bounce thoughts off him is a major opportunity for myself, the staff and the players."

The Wallaroos will this year play a one off Test against Fiji, the Pacific Four Series against New Zealand, USA and Canada, the Laurie O'Reilly Cup against New Zealand, and the inaugural 'WXV' competition to be announced by World Rugby shortly.

Jones last week explained how his Wallaroos duties would work.

"It's very much an overseeing role, we haven't worked out the exact mechanics of it but having a consistent dialogue with the Wallaroos coaching staff and myself to ensure their plans are in the right direction and they're making the necessary adaptions and adjustments to the program to make sure they're getting the best out of the players," Jones said.

"I'm looking forward to doing that. It's quite unique in world rugby to do that and I'm looking forward to that."

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/othe...ef6a578ef3ec1e

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Great to see Scott get a decent gig.

Our first try scorer v Brumbies game number 1.

Always had time to engage with us fans in a conversation.

Last one I had with him was during GRR after one of the Force matches where he was hoping to get a gig as a GRR commenator.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”