Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tony Lewis talks Force on SportFM

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Tony Lewis talks Force on SportFM

Blayne Treadgold was joined by Tony Lewis to chat how the Western Force are tracking with the Super Rugby season just around the corner.

https://omny.fm/shows/sports-line/sp...force-17-02-23

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Tony Lewis 18/04/2023

on Sport FM

Sport FM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Now the CEO is coming right out and saying it in public - probably out of frustration at the inaction from the "proper channels". Heck even X has had a small rethink. This is as it should be. All this bullshit about professional referees being somehow sacrosanct is just that, and it's very easy for people to take the high moral ground and say to cop it and move on. But the game for good or otherwise, has gone pro. Peoples livelihoods are on the line and everyone who is a professional should be accountable. The romantic idea of accepting poor performance has been left behind where it belongs - on the amateur playing fields.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Now the CEO is coming right out and saying it in public - probably out of frustration at the inaction from the "proper channels". Heck even X has had a small rethink. This is as it should be. All this bullshit about professional referees being somehow sacrosanct is just that, and it's very easy for people to take the high moral ground and say to cop it and move on. But the game for good or otherwise, has gone pro. Peoples livelihoods are on the line and everyone who is a professional should be accountable. The romantic idea of accepting poor performance has been left behind where it belongs - on the amateur playing fields.
    I have and will continue to have the highest respect for our Referees. I believe that Angus Gardner had a very bad match with the whistle. I will never accuse anyone of bias. And I won't now.

He just had a shocker.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post

He just had a shocker.
    Yes he did. Nobody mentioned bias. Incompetence is something else. Missing a late hit when a player undergoes a HIA is incompetent at best. Not allowing time for a review of in touch when it is in question is just wrong.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    I have and will continue to have the highest respect for our Referees. I believe that Angus Gardner had a very bad match with the whistle. I will never accuse anyone of bias. And I won't now.

He just had a shocker.
    That's quite an honourable position of you X (not that we'd expect anything else) but I have to agree with Shasta these Professional Refs to an extent have the players lives and earnings at stake. Take Strachan for instance, gets totally cheap shotted illegally and those numpties didn't even notice it. hypothetically if Jake ends up with lingering effects i'm wondering when does the refs duty of care come into play? Does Jake have a certain amount of recourse because the refs have not performed theyre job to a safe standard?
    Can of worms potentially!!
    And with the amount of TV coverage of the games now the excuse to miss such indiscretions is really becoming hard to listen to.

vCash
    I feel the same frustration as Tony, for years I just haven't been able to logically agree with some decisions. It is an easy argument to not blame the ref but too many instances. This affects, player, club, supporters.

HIA should be reviewed within game. But even aside from ref, no mention from the commentary. I've watched plenty of other matches this year to know they will go back 10/20 minutes after to watch a replay when there is a break in play. It stinks.

Have the refs come into each game already decided the rub of the green. 'The Force are to blame' whereas years ago 'you can't penalise the kiwis'

It was spoken earlier in season of Wells being voiceless (in terms with ref), now Gareth Simpson similar. The other teams have captains who they already have a repertoire built. Thrush gets the ear more even when he is being a menace.

Swinton was just a consistent knob all game and got away with it. He will continue, especially if refs and commentary will turn a blind eye.

Gus did ask whether they need to review it, TMO shut it down.

Wrapping my tinfoil hat tight. It was against the NSW Tahs ("successful waratahs will save Aus Rugby") who were below us. Refs wanted them to win, commentary wanted them to win.

It's bloody frustrating when I just want to see it fought out on the pitch and sometimes walk away think WTF just happened

vCash
    Also we did have a shocker ourselves but that just makes me think the opposition doesn't need any further help

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    correct,how the 3 wise men and the even wiser TMO all did a sargeant Shulz(i see nothing),astounds me-all of them should be given this week off with a paid visit to OPSM this saturday,lol

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I have no clue how the room for the TMO is set up. I have no idea if he has one monitor or 7. But one thing is for certain - the TMO is all by him/herself.

Over in Mungo-Land The Bunker (I assume) is staffed by a gang of Video Geeks who have multiple screens to monitor, with headsets to call thru all of the indiscretions to the Boss.

Back in Rugby Our TMO is One person with 2 eyeballs - wholly reliant upon the TV Director (Vision switcher)for what he does or doesn't see. Of course, things will be missed. And it would appear that some teams get the "rub of the green" or "the luck of the Irish" or whatever other analogy you want to use.

IT would also appear that we/us/Force never seem to be that lucky - but that might just be the Blue tinted goggles talking.

At the end of the day I really believe that the good and bad calls get balanced out over the course of a match.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    The problem
    I have no clue how the room for the TMO is set up. I have no idea if he has one monitor or 7. But one thing is for certain - the TMO is all by him/herself.
    The Solution
    They need support. My assumption is the TMO is there to watch the live game. So when a yellow card is given who reviews the footage to upgrade to Red? The TMO who now needs to be watching 2 things or an extra TMO for such occasion?

If someone extra then definitely in the era of protecting the player, all HIAs should be reviewed. This would encourage stamping out recklessness as opposed to this current scenario. Where Swinton never got cited. The Tahs weren't penalised. Next week no Swinton, possibly, but still 23 Tahs. Don't you think Darren Coleman would of gone ballistic at Swinton if he cost them a red 20 seconds into the game. X the TMO isn't only at fault but the system is. Citing the player will hopefully change the player, punishing the team in the game will change a lot more attitudes of what is acceptable

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Yes he did. Nobody mentioned bias. Incompetence is something else. Missing a late hit when a player undergoes a HIA is incompetent at best. Not allowing time for a review of in touch when it is in question is just wrong.
    My bad Shasta i hadn't realised you responded before myself.

Senior Player
    vCash
    At the end of the day I really believe that the good and bad calls get balanced out over the course of a match.[/QUOTE]

I find it quite bewildering that a lot of games where a team gets penalised heavily in the first 20 and then suddenly the penalty count gets evened out in the last 10mins of the game. This is exactly what happened to us against the Landers and Tahs on the weekend. The usual cry of have to be more disciplined is a bit of a wank at times. Some of the penalties are so miniscule with realistically no effect on the play. It honestly is bewildering to a casual observer.
    Gotta say X I dont reckon it would happen anywhere near as much in Grade footy.

vCash
    Swinton has been suspended for 7 weeks, up to and including 3 June 2023.

The incident occurred within the first minute of the match between NSW Waratahs and Western Force, played at Allianz Stadium in Sydney on 15 April 2023.

The SANZAAR Judicial Hearing held via video conference on Tuesday 18 April, 6:00 pm (AEST), 8:00 pm (NZST) was heard by Helen Morgan (Chair), Chris Smith and Ofisa Tonu’u.

In her finding, Judicial Committee Chair Helen Morgan ruled the following:

"Having conducted a detailed review of all the available evidence, including all camera angles and additional evidence, including submissions from the Player and his legal representative, Mr Aaron Lloyd, the Judicial Committee upheld the Citing under Law 9.13."

"With respect to sanction, the Judicial Committee deemed the act of foul play was reckless, with the contact point directly made with the head, high force and no mitigating factors present. The Committee found the incident was highly dangerous and, after considering all relevant factors of World Rugby’s Head Contact Process and sanctioning table, decided the foul play merited a top-end entry point of 10 weeks. Taking into account mitigating factors, including the Player's acceptance of guilt that the incident was foul play, conduct at the hearing and remorse, the Judicial Committee reduced the suspension by three weeks."

"The player is therefore suspended for 7 weeks, up to and including 3 June 2023.

So……. Spewing. The Force should be given a bonus point in retrospect and Tahs should be getting penalised 2 points for that offence.

Senior Player
    vCash
    So……. Spewing. The Force should be given a bonus point in retrospect and Tahs should be getting penalised 2 points for that offence.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't that set the cat amongst the pigeons! I wonder if the dopes from the STAN commentary are going to have a chat about it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast