Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Super Rugby Pacific 2023 Teams: All the team news for Round 1

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    did anyone look at the advancing in front to the kicker penalty? i could have sworn that there were two people WAY in front of the players advancing, probably so far that the Ref couldn't see them. I think this gave the reb's there first 3 points.
    I haven't looked at a replay, and I'm at the other end. But I saw exactly the same. At the time I thought it was a totally dumb gift of three points. Face-palm dumb. It seemed more than half the team were in front of the kick. Should have been run back.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Happy I was somewhat proven wrong on the uninspiring 9, 10, 12. Hegarty and Stewart both played very well, possibly bar from some early kicking for territory, and gave our outside backs good opportunities. Hope Stewart isn't too unhappy playing 12, as there was a lot of preseason chat about being able to play 10 at the force being a key reason for his move.

I thought Prior would be much improved based on his performances in the trials, but unfortunately seemed to revert to type and had what I thought was a shocker.

Fines to 9 this weekend. Rest to stay as is, unless Spink is injured in which case Bayley should slot into 13 OK.

Would be nice to get a squad injury update...

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    so,you bring Prior on late in the game?

vCash
    Leave Prior in Perth.

vCash
    Prior was off but I don't see the coaches hitting the panic button just yet. Fines needs to build some consistent good form before earning a start for mine.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Prior was off but I don't see the coaches hitting the panic button just yet. Fines needs to build some consistent good form before earning a start for mine.
    my question was largely rhetorical,as to Jargs loveboy McDonald,he was invited into the Australian A squad,but declined ,perhaps not happy with the Force's pay offer,declined and headed of to ulster,good on him,his choice,but perhaps a little bit of patience was required-too late now,hope he kicks on

vCash
    Being born in Ireland we can't really speculate on his motivation for the move, nor should we. If the to Ulster offer came with the carrot of Emerging Ireland selection, who could blame him?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    In thinking back, especially to X's admonition that I've been down on Spink (which wasn't entirely untrue)

I'd like to state that defense in the centres was vastly improved for this game. It appears that what I was seeing was a cohesion or communication issue, rather than a lowest common denominator thing. Hamish Stewart and Sam Spink worked really well together. Bayley coming on and restoring the Trial pairing didn't seem to upset the applecart.

Now to hope Spink's hammy is good to go for Sunday

I really think Spink will be the 13 we've been missing! Hope he's good

Two trials, one game & has shown more promise at OC than anyone we've had for many years now

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by WFDom; 01-03-23 at 04:05.
    Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WFDom View Post
    I really think Spink will be the 13 we've been missing! Hope he's good
    Two trials, one game & has shown more promise at OC than anyone we've had for many years now
    Bro, we've had Tevita Kuridrani play 13 for us.
    The wallaby 13 isn't enough promise for you?(No, I'm not forgetting that Kuridrani actually delivered on precisely zero of his potential, but you used the term promise)Godwin also showed promise with little production, so imho 13 is all about realising potential than about inherent possibility.
    We seem to be great at not having a 13 who provides enough.

Last edited by GIGS20; 01-03-23 at 09:21. Reason: for some reason my Phone strips linebreaks from my replies intermittently....It makes stuff hard to read
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Bro, we've had Tevita Kuridrani play 13 for us.The wallaby 13 isn't enough promise for you?(No, I'm not forgetting that Kuridrani actually delivered on precisely zero of his potential, but you used the term promise)Godwin also showed promise with little production, so imho 13 is all about realising potential than about inherent possibility.We seem to be great at not having a 13 who provides enough.
    That comment triggered some memories of outside centres we used to have.

I agree with Kurindrani being the highest profile, however, we had some real good ones like Ryan Cross, Junior Pelesasa and Mitch Inman that really did deliver.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    That comment triggered some memories of outside centres we used to have.

I agree with Kurindrani being the highest profile, however, we had some real good ones like Ryan Cross, Junior Pelesasa and Mitch Inman that really did deliver.
    Interestingly, all of those guys came with no hype about massive potential. Cross came from Mungoball and was pretty universally questioned/rubbished as a crap signing, Pelesasa came (I believe) from the Reds where (I think) he was happily let go as a bt washed up and Inman was also not considered to be worth the effort.

Now that's pretty easy to say considering the times those guys played the Force was seen by Eastern Australia Rugby Union as a great place to develop talent which had no potential and if it showed promise get them into a "real" team, pretty much everybody who wasn't Sharpie was considered either washed up or a failed prospect who might come good if given some field time.

Also I would vote for Curtis Rona as one who did OK

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Agreed.

In the trial Prior came on in the second half and looked good against a tiring opposition. Last Saturday Fines came on in the second half and looked good against a tiring opposition. (As I'm typing this I'm hearing the theme music from 'Twilight Zone').

They are both good 9's and I really think it's an advantage for whichever 9 comes off the bench to look good when they come on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by todd4 View Post
    Agreed.

In the trial Prior came on in the second half and looked good against a tiring opposition. Last Saturday Fines came on in the second half and looked good against a tiring opposition. (As I'm typing this I'm hearing the theme music from 'Twilight Zone').

They are both good 9's and I really think it's an advantage for whichever 9 comes off the bench to look good when they come on.
    Man, you make a really good point.

Maybe we could work on extending that, by actually locking each of them in at 40 minutes of rugby and then telling whoever is on first to play their absolute fuggin guts out because they're off at 40 regardless.

It might help with the slow start thing.

The other thing I haven't investigated (but intent to) is how much influence the Forwards are having on the success of our halfback. Dicky Hardwick was absolutely everywhere in the first half and he made Prior look bad by being constantly in his face pressuring. In the second half, Hardwick was contained much better and (surprise, surprise) the halfback looked better.

Was this a shift in the Forwards keeping the Rebels away from the ruck more effectively or was it all down to Finesey being more elusive that Prior and getting himself out of trouble.

I'd be inclined to suggest a little of both, but knowing the problem is the first step to finding a solution.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    Cron was asked about Richard Hardwick and the difference after the break in the media conference. Sounds like it was Nick Taylor asking. I can't remember what Cron said but it's on the Force website.

vCash
    Prior mostly seems to react to pressure at the breakdown by standing around waiting for his forwards to give him the platform that he wants. Fines just gets it out of there like he should, or dives in to help secure the ball, like he should.
    Aimless box kicking was another major problem from him, which you can't really blame on the forwards either.

Way more upside to Fines that Prior as far as I'm concerned, in both the short and long term.

No doubt having a better platform from the forwards would help them both though. They'll have their work cut out for them again this weekend with the likes of McReight and Daugunu over the ball

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast