Thread: Callan cleared as Savea prepares to learn fate

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Callan cleared as Savea prepares to learn fate

Tue, Mar 7, 2023, 7:29 AM
    Nathan Williamson

Force and Reds match up for the final game of Super Round at AAMI Park, Melbourne.
    The Western Force have received a boost with Ollie Callan's avoiding suspension following their 71-20 defeat to the Queensland Reds.

Meanwhile, the Hurricanes face a nervous wait with Ardie Savea to have his case heard on Tuesday after his controversial gesture.

Watch every game of Super Rugby Pacific LIVE on Stan Sport. Start your Free Sport Trial Now

Callan's high shot was upgraded from yellow to a red card after collecting Reds winger Filipo Daugunu high during the second half in Melbourne.

He has been issued a warning and cleared to play against Moana Pasifika on Saturday, with the Foul Play Review Committee deeming it just below the red card threshold on account of Daugunu's sudden and late change of direction.

"Having conducted a detailed review of all the available evidence, including all camera angles and additional evidence, including from the player and submissions from his legal representative, Michael Tudori, the Foul Play Review Committee found the foul play did not breach the Red Card threshold," Foul Play Review Committee Chair Michael Heron KC ruled.

"With respect to sanction the Foul Play Review Committee deemed the act of foul play merited a Warning as it was close to, but did not breach the Red Card threshold.

"The Foul Play Review Committee deemed that the significant mitigating factors, including the ball carrier's sudden and late change of direction and additional players being involved within the tackle, mitigated the sanction to a Warning." "The player is therefore free to resume playing.”

It comes at the perfect time for the Force, who will miss Michael Wells and Jeremy Williams following their failed HIAs.

As for Savea, he faces a hearing Tuesday evening (AEDT time) following his gesture towards Rebels scrumhalf Ryan Louwrens in their narrow win at AAMI Park.

"Following initial consideration by the SANZAAR Foul Play Review Committee, Ardie Savea of the Hurricanes will appear at a SANZAAR Judicial Committee Hearing after being cited for alleged foul play during a Super Rugby Pacific match at the weekend," a SANZAAR statement said.

"Savea is alleged to have contravened Law 9.27: A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship, during the match between the Rebels and Hurricanes at AAMI Park in Melbourne on 3 March 2023."

The Hurricanes will be without Tevita Mafileo for the next three games after his dangerous cleanout on Richard Hardwick.

"With respect to sanction the Foul Play Review Committee deemed the act of foul play merited a mid-range entry point of 6 weeks due to the World Rugby instructions that dictate "any act of foul play which results in contact with the head and/or the neck shall result in at least a mid-range sanction"," they added.

"However, taking into account mitigating factors including the Player's clean judicial record and pleading guilty at the first available opportunity, the Foul Play Review Committee reduced the suspension to 3 weeks."

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/callan...diciary-202336

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Some justice at least!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Some justice at least!
    the TMO at the time said there were no mitigating circumstances-obviously this was not the case!!

vCash
    Savea cops one week ban for throat-slitting gesture
    Staff Writers
    AP
    March 7, 2023 10:22PM

Hurricanes captain Ardie Savea has been suspended for one week following his throat-cutting gesture at an opponent in a Super Rugby Pacific match.

Savea will miss the home match against the Blues this Saturday.

He was issued a yellow card after a scuffle against the Melbourne Rebels on Friday. As he left the field, Savea made the gesture towards Rebels halfback Ryan Louwrens.

The SANZAAR judicial panel decided the throat-cutting gesture was close to warranting a red card, and agreed it was a yellow card offence. Because two yellow cards in the same match become an automatic red card and sending off, the panel reconvened for a new hearing.

The second hearing decided on Tuesday that Savea should be suspended for a week.

-ADVERTISEMENT-
    Savea said he apologised to Louwrens and also had to answer to his father Masena, who called him immediately after the match.

"It's just the heat of the moment, it's a warrior game but I've got to lead by example, being skip, so I got that wrong," Savea said.

"There was a bit of banter going on and it got the better of me.

"I got off the field and my old man called me and kind of growled me off so that's a lesson learnt.

"I understand the role I play with the kids watching the games ... it doesn't excuse what I did but we make mistakes and hopefully I grow and learn from it."

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ru...ture-c-9969472

vCash
    I think the way the judiciary handled Savea was a rare example of them getting it right.

Also Ollie Callan's case. I'm not confident that the trend will continue for long, but this is two cases of the judiciary not doing something stupid.

C'mon the

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Less than the rebels supporter sitting behind us wanted him to get...

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash

Senior Player
    vCash
    How funny he probably got more of a kick up the khyber from his old man!!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!