Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force star Fainga'a battles through Achilles soreness

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Force star Fainga'a battles through Achilles soreness

Justin Chadwick
    AAP
    March 29, 2023 12:48PM

Western Force hooker Folau Fainga'a continues to battle an Achilles tendon injury and will take things day by day in a bid to play through the Super Rugby Pacific campaign.

Achilles pain resulted in Fainga'a being a late scratching from the round-four defeat to the Highlanders in Invercargill, but the star Wallaby returned for last week's 30-17 loss to the Blues.

The 27-year-old is expected to feature in Sunday's clash with the second-placed Hurricanes in Palmerston North, but said his Achilles issue is still hanging around.

"I don't really know what's happening with it just yet," Fainga'a told reporters.

"We are just taking it day by day and just treating it as it goes.

"It's one thing where it could be good today, and then waking up tomorrow it could be sore.

"We've got an awesome team here, the physiotherapist and our doctors, doing an awesome job keeping me updated and up to speed in terms of what I can do outside of the footy pitch to keep me on the field."

The Force are aiming to finish their tough three-match NZ tour on a high, but they face an almighty task to topple a powerful Hurricanes unit laden with star players.

The Hurricanes rested All Blacks trio Tyrel Lomax, Dane Coles and Jordie Barrett last week, but they were still able to thump Moana Pasifika 59-0 in a brutal nine-try display.

Force centre Sam Spink, who returned from a hamstring injury last week, is embracing the challenge.

"One of the main things I was intrigued about with Super Rugby and excited to get over here for was for those kind of those challenges," the Englishman said.

"You look at some of the stars and names around the comp, and they're All Blacks, they're Wallabies, they're some of the most exciting players in the world.

"To challenge myself against some of the best players who can beat people (in attack) is only going to improve my game defensively.

"It's a stacked (Hurricanes) backline to come up against, and I'm looking forward to ripping in."

Spink is glad fellow Englishman Zach Kibirige, who has been playing on the wing, has joined him at the Force.

"He's a mouthy bugger to be honest," Spink said.

"He doesn't stop talking all game, which is exactly what you need from the outside.

"He encourages me to feed on that information and keep talking to the people inside me.

"The louder he is, the more information I have from what's outside me, whether that be in attack or defence.

"His comms are pretty great, and I've seen that rub off on other people in the squad."

The Force could be bolstered by the return of Wallabies prop Tom Robertson from concussion.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ru...ess-c-10191218

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Folau and Michael both out, rest of team as expected:

Name:  FsbsVB1WIAIYok_.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  58.1 KB

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Really hoping Spink & Kibirige hang around. Very competent & hard working.

I know Hegarty was out last week & I'm sure he'd be starting if fit. Really looking forward to seeing Hegarty / Stewart / Spink in at 10 / 12 / 13 when the opportunity allows.

We look really light on options for Captain. Maybe Rodda would have been Wells' back up if fit?

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    From the Western Force Website:

Six changes named to starting XV to take on Hurricanes

In the final leg of the three-week New Zealand tour, the Western Force has named six changes to the starting line-up for the Round 6 clash with the Hurricanes in Palmerston North.

Captain Wells and Wallaby Fainga'a have both been ruled out of Sunday's match due to prolonged Achilles concerns and will return home to recover.

Simon Cron's side is determined to bounce back for their final run across the Tasman, enlisting youth to lead the team. Scrum-half Gareth Simpson has been named matchday captain, with emerging leaders Stewart and Williams call-up as vice-captains.

Cron attests to Simpson's leadership qualities displayed across the ditch, complimenting his communication capabilities.

"We've been watching Gareth now for some time; one thing that was obvious in the 'A' games is that he's an excellent leader. He's got clear, precise communication; he focuses on the game and sits in a position where he can connect to both the backs and forwards. So we do want a lot of communication out of Gareth. All those things add up to the fact that he's the perfect captain for us this weekend. He's excited, the boys are excited and have got behind him. So an overall really good opportunity for him," Cron claims.

"We've had a lot of changes forced upon us through injury. Therefore, one of the things we're trying to do this week is to keep as many combinations as we can together."

Tom Robertson returns to the front row having missed last week's clash with the Blues while recovering from a head knock sustained against the Highlanders in Round 4. Tom Horton starts at hooker with Marley Pearce possibly earning his possible second cap after his debut match last Sunday. Cron states the competition in the front row is needed and is excited to see what Pearce can produce in his second hit out.

"Wagner was really good last week. He came on after ten minutes against the Highlanders and then effectively played a large number of minutes again in Auckland. I thought he was outstanding. But at the moment, what we've decided to do is give Marley another touch of Super Rugby. There are a couple of aspects that he's working on from the last game that we're excited to see. So that gives Wags a small break and Marley an opportunity to run on from the bench."

Hamish Stewart regains his role at flyhalf after a late withdrawal saw Hegarty sidelined last match with back spasms. Hegarty has been cleared and will come on at 22.

After being named in the finishers last match, Kuenzle to is set to start in the midfield (12) and Wanneroo product Ollie Callan will line up in the back row at openside flanker.

Feleti Kaitu'u joins the matchday 23, and homegrown talent Jackson Pugh is poised for his return in the number 20 jersey.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WFDom View Post
    Really hoping Spink & Kibirige hang around. Very competent & hard working.
    Spink already signed for 2024 Kibiridge only for 2023 at this point

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I love how our backline is looking and how they are starting to perform together. They look stronger as the season progresses and I foresee big things from them in the near future.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Cron attests to Simpson's leadership qualities displayed across the ditch, complimenting his communication capabilities.

"We've been watching Gareth now for some time; one thing that was obvious in the 'A' games is that he's an excellent leader. He's got clear, precise communication; he focuses on the game and sits in a position where he can connect to both the backs and forwards. So we do want a lot of communication out of Gareth. All those things add up to the fact that he's the perfect captain for us this weekend. He's excited, the boys are excited and have got behind him. So an overall really good opportunity for him," Cron claims.
    If Cron places communication that highly as an attribute for his Captain. Why the fark has he given Wells the role???? (Sorry Taz). Paradoxical decision making!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    If Cron places communication that highly as an attribute for his Captain. Why the fark has he given Wells the role???? (Sorry Taz). Paradoxical decision making!
    another thing to add to the matrix, when Prior was left out against the Landers Cron was talking about it being compassionate leave and there'll be rotation amongst the halves on this trip.

The rotation is a bit slower than I expected.

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    another thing to add to the matrix, when Prior was left out against the Landers Cron was talking about it being compassionate leave and there'll be rotation amongst the halves on this trip.

No disrespect to Ian but it’s probably because the 2 lad’s that are there now are providing a little more dynamism across the park.
    Although 2 weeks in a row we could’ve done with his consistent goal kicking.
    Maybe this is the new norm starting to happen for us with these lads.
    I really would’ve liked to have seen Strachan stay in to prove what he has. Great to have the pommy lads but if we’re fairdinkum about developing more of our home grown talent, it’d be really cool to see them get more of a chance to prove themselves.
    It’s also great to see that we can run out some fairly consistent selections as well.

vCash
    Without a Player Cam focused on Michael for the whole game it is difficult to say what he did and did not do with any certaintity, and like all things its an individual perception that forms opinions. and we are all entitled to our own.

In his own words about being a captain:

"Wells, a firm believer in a captain leading by example on the field first. Understanding that presenting a representation of hard work creates success and drives teams to victory.

"I have to keep being the best player that I can personally, because otherwise, you lose the integrity and the position as captain, and you lose the respect. So, I've known that as long as I do my role, to the best of my ability, that's doing the best job as captain.

The day you're not performing on the field, you're no good to anyone as a leader, no matter what you say, actions speak a lot louder than words.

I definitely learned a lot from having my first experience as a captain of a Super Rugby team last year (Melbourne Rebels). What I'll bring to this role is knowing to put my performance first, and if I'm doing my job, it gives my words a bit more value when I speak.

I also learned that you need to connect with people on a higher level as a captain. Knowing that you have to build relationships with people so they trust you on the field, they trust what you're saying, and they trust that you've got their best interests at play."

I attended the pre season match and in my humble opinion Michael stood out heads and shoulders above anyone as the leader and I will continue to back him. He appears to be in the Hodgo mould and few backed Hodgo when he first got the call and look at his heart now it is all Force.

Hindsight and opinions as mentioned above are not always based on what may or may not be happening in the match and the heat of the moment and are very subjective, however ,they are allowed on open forums.

Each to their own, but all our boys put their bodies on the line week in week out for our viewing pleasure so lets not keep running them down, positive critism is and should be allowed but not week in week out victimisation, thats not who the sea of blue fans should be.

Last edited by Tazzmania; 30-03-23 at 14:42.

Player
    vCash
    When I've attended training it was apparent that all the players respect Wells, that when he speaks it is precise and to the point, and the players listen. I'm not sure who else in the squad would be better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Without a Player Cam focused on Michael for the whole game it is difficult to say what he did and did not do with any certaintity, and like all things its an individual perception that forms opinions. and we are all entitled to our own.
    I've watched the last 2 games twice over and I can tell you the only time he spoke to the ref was at the coin toss!

I agree with you that he is in the Hodgo mould of hard tackling, effort & leading by example. But he is certainly not in the Hodgo mould of communicating with the officials. And I never witnessed Hodgo moan at the fans. For Wells to do that during the on field interview after one of the Rebels games last year was sh1t! One of the Rebels fans on G&G said that was contributory to him having the Captaincy taken off of him!

Apart from Coach, Captain is the toughest gig there. I'm not out to victimise him mate. But if I find something he says or does as contradictory to the ethos he puts out there as Captain then yes, I might well criticise. Conversely, if he proves to be the captain that you think he will become then I'll be first in line to take my medicine.

I've been here since inception & I'm as Blue as you my friend. I will gladly buy you a beer next time I'm home for a game & you can see first hand what a lovely bloke I am

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    100%. If you can't have an opinion, there's not much point posting on a supporters forum. As long as posts are respectful & decent, there's no requirement to sugar coat anything. People who cross the line have been dealt with by the mods well since 2006. Carna Force!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post

His sister got married week one of the NZ tour.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    His sister got married week one of the NZ tour.
    It’s gonna be interesting to see where he fits in once the team are back. Especially with Simpson getting the armband this week

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast