Thread: Suaalii's cross-code switch confirmed

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Suaalii's cross-code switch confirmed

The worst kept secret is finally confirmed: Joseph Suaalii is heading to Rugby Union.

Suaalii’s fate was sealed when his NRL club Sydney Roosters announced he would leave at the end of his contract after recently signing a one-year extension until 2024.

Minutes later, RA released a statement confirming the talented teenager will head to the 15-a-side code following next year’s NRL season.

The deal will potentially see Suaalii link up with the Wallabies for the Spring Tour, likely in similar vain to Suliasi Vunivalu in 2020.

It puts the outside back in contention for the 2025 Lions Tour and the 2027 Rugby World Cup in Australia.

Suaalii has history in Rugby Union, helping the Australian Schoolboys to victory over the NZ Schoolboys in 2019, the first time they had won in New Zealand since 2012.

Roosters teammate Luke Keary reflected on the move as it was being speculated, having also played for the Australian Schoolboys in 2010 during his time with Oakhill College

“We know this is happening and good on him. He’s obviously a rugby boy,” he said on Triple M

“…I think he goes over as a centre. I think you’ll see Israel Folau with him. He’s nearly the same player as Izzy. Big, strong ball runner, doesn’t play with the ball too much.”

Stan Sport commentator and former Wallaby Morgan Turinui understands the value of cross-code stars, having seen the impact of Lote Tuqiri, Matt Rogers and Wendell Sailor on the game at the start of the 21st century.

He believes Suaalii will be worth the hype ahead of a crucial period for Rugby Union.

“He’d be on good money but I think he’ll be worth it," he said ahead of Reds-Rebels.

“He’s played at the Kings School going through, love to play fullback and winger. He’s a great kid and they have done their due diligence and getting a great human being as well across to Rugby.

“I can’t wait to see him. He’ll come in and probably go on a Wallabies tour if they can make that happen and ripe for the British and Irish Lions and the home World Cup."

"He's an excitement machine in the last couple of years, what we've seen him do within the NRL but certainly coming through the pathways of rugby, great buy and very exciting times for rugby union," fellow commentator and international Allana Ferguson said.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    So the media pundits have picked him as a wallaby tourist a year before he's played the game professionally.

Honestly I'm not upset about them signing a filthy soulless mungo, I just think it's not an automatic conversion and he might not make the transition successfully, so to pick him as a wallaby before he's even shown that he's better than what the tahs already have is optimistic at best

Suliasi Vunivalu spring to mind?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    With the amount of money RA will throw at him to cross codes, he'll almost certainly be a Wallaby with a Wallaby top-up. How will the Waratahs afford him in the salary cap otherwise?

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    This bloke is a class athlete who goes about his preparation like a seasoned pro. He's among the top half dozen RL wingers and so far a more than competent centre.

Wingers and centers don't get million+ contracts in RL. Only elite play-makers like Tedesco, Munster, Cleary etc command those salaries.

Suaalii wants to play fullback. He has Teddy & Joseph Manu in his way. No other NRL club would pay that money for an elite winger/potential fullback. QED.

If throwing millions at a potential Mungo fullback converting to Rugby is your game; I'd say go all out for Reece Walsh - Billy Slater #2.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    My thoughts...

It seems like RugbyAustralia is going for a quick fix in an area in which we really don't have a problem. In Club Rugby all around Australia, there are 19-year-old Fullbacks that have been playing Rugby since they were 4 or 5 years old. They know the game, would cost a 1/3 of the price, and deserve consideration.

The last time the Waratahs picked up a Fullback from Mungo-land. They failed to teach him how to Defend at Fullback. Sure, Israel Folau scored a lot of Tries for the Wallabies and the Waratahs, but as a Defender, he was always out of position or not willing to do any sort of hard work. Will history repeat it self? Probably.

The last time we had a migration from League - Lote Tiquiri, Wendal Sailor, and Matt Rodgers - all did the same thing. Once they returned to League they couldn't wait to bad mouth the organisation that fed them. Sure they said exactly what their League audience wanted them to say. But they never complained about Rugby Union while they were being paid by Rugby Union.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Player
    vCash
    This is an Eddie Jones pick ….. probably negotiated when Jones was appointed coach . Is he ( this ) the magic bullet the media in particular are making it out to be ……I doubt it . How about working on talent ID and retention within Union
    Hansen.. Dempsey …Ta’avao etc

Senior Player
    vCash
    Dempsey??? As in Jack Dempsey??
    Gotta remember Sualli up until 3 years ago was playing rugby. First 15 in gps rugby in Sydney. Rugby dropped the ball when he was 15 by not picking him up then when the NRL offered him some serious coin!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    All feels a lot Eddie Jones redux. First talk up running rugby, then buy up League players. Next shoe to fall will be his philosophy on forward set plays...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by boof1050 View Post
    Dempsey??? As in Jack Dempsey??
    Gotta remember Sualli up until 3 years ago was playing rugby. First 15 in gps rugby in Sydney. Rugby dropped the ball when he was 15 by not picking him up then when the NRL offered him some serious coin!
    Most around these parts won't realise that and will just think "bloody mungos"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Most around these parts won't realise that and will just think "bloody mungos"
    What's new? OTOH here's some opinions from bunch of Mungos who understand Rugby and know a lot more about being a professional.......starting with a a piss-take from The Cheese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiRcpUcoG0A

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I can't wait to see him line up for the Western Force!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    The Sydney media storm about this is fkn hilarious. Nobody within either code has said anything too controversial but the media types are running rabid.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Not a Force signing but Mark Geyer claimed on air this morning that Payne Haas is the other high profile Mungo Jones is after and a that a monster deal is being put to him. Seeing as he's on a mil+ at the Bronx.....
    For the record, I think he could play 12 at least as well as SBW did.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Not a Force signing but Mark Geyer claimed on air this morning that Payne Haas is the other high profile Mungo Jones is after and a that a monster deal is being put to him. Seeing as he's on a mil+ at the Bronx.....
    For the record, I think he could play 12 at least as well as SBW did.
    Haas is on $800k per reports and also prop in league so not sure more a 8 then 12…but I don’t know the player as don’t watch league so you may well be right

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugby View Post
    Haas is on $800k per reports and also prop in league so not sure more a 8 then 12…but I don’t know the player as don’t watch league so you may well be right
    MG reckoned he's on a million or so. Who actually knows anyway? RL doesn't have "props" anymore. Why would they when they don't really have scrums? They have "middle forwards" & "edge back-rowers." Haas plays in the "middle". "Edge" forwards tackle less and have to play pretty much the full 80. Haas has a big motor, averaging 60 minutes. He's very athletic and could easily play on an edge; fast with nice footwork for a big man and has a good offload in contact. I think he would make a good centre but could make an 8 or 6 under a good coach, I suppose. Sam Burgess could have been much more successful at Rugby had they persevered with him there. SBW OTOH had a big leg up to 12 at Toulon playing next to Johnny Wilkinson for a couple of seasons.