Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: THREE CHANGES TO STARTING XV TO TAKE ON THE NSW WARATAHS

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

THREE CHANGES TO STARTING XV TO TAKE ON THE NSW WARATAHS

Thu, Apr 13, 2023, 9:55 AM
    WM
    by Western Force Media

The Western Force has named three changes to the starting line-up for Saturday night's Round 8 match-up with the NSW Waratahs at Allianz Stadium.

Simon Cron's side is determined to bounce back from a long New Zealand tour stating the men from the West must roll with the momentum built during the past three weeks and strike in Sydney.

"Every game is an opportunity to win, so for me, this match is about learning from the key moments in our past games and executing," said Cron.

"Playing the Waratahs is always a great Australian battle; there's always going to be some fireworks."

After a late call-up against the Hurricanes, Jake Strachan will start at fly half for the first time, with his triple treat skills, this sees Hamish Stewart move to the centre.

Homegrown talent Jackson Pugh earns his start in the second row pairing up with former Waratah Jeremy Williams.

"One of the things Jackson gives us is a high work rate. We've always had him covering the second row during training. So we feel now is the right time to unleash him at lock," Cron claimed.

Australian eligible, Jacob Norris joins the starting line-up after entering the squad in March.

"Norris came in on an ICC cover for Wells. He's been with us now for four or five weeks, training throughout the New Zealand tour. He gets his shot this game with Rahboni out through injury," mentioned Cron.

Cron attests the squad is rested after the bye week and sees the fire building, admitting the squad is hungry to improve their on-field cohesion.

"None of us are happy with 'close enough good enough'. So now it's just about developing that killer instinct."

"The Waratahs have great players across the park and are a strong attacking team with big ball carriers. We must ensure our first contact is solid, as it is vitally important."

https://westernforce.rugby/news/thre...ratahs-2023412

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Name:  3irctln4.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  94.1 KB

Veteran
    vCash
    I like Strachan at 10, thought he looked good. But i have always liked him, even at full back.

Can't believe we are all out of 8's already! Rhino would never have let this happen...

Pugh starting will be good to see what he can offer.

Would like to see Pulu in the back three over Mataele (injured?), but otherwise i am happy with the back line. Who is our kicker (outside of Tiatia)?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    Who is our kicker (outside of Tiatia)?
    Strachen and Stewart I would say

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Some details on Jake Norris

Thanks to Its rugby:

Jacob NORRIS, Third Row
    Jacob NORRIS is an international new-zealand rugby player. He plays at Bay of Plenty at the third row position.He is 24 years old and was born on 27/11/1998. He measures 1 m 89 for 104 kg.

Name:  Screenshot 2023-04-13 105443.png
Views: 747
Size:  19.4 KB

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Team News - Waratahs make three changes for Force fixture
    Thu, Apr 13, 2023, 9:55 AM

The NSW Waratahs have named their team to face the Western Force in round eight of the Harvey Norman Super Rugby Pacific competition.

Waratahs Head Coach Darren Coleman has made three changes to his starting XV that narrowly lost to the ACT Brumbies in Canberra.

Tom Lambert replaces Te Tera Faulkner at loose head joining David Porecki and Harry Johnson-Holmes in the front row.

Jed Holloway, who leads the competition in lineout steals (6), once again partners Ned Hanigan in the second row.

Lachlan Swinton returns at blindside flanker, after missing the Brumbies match, while Taleni Seu moves to number eight and Michael Hooper at openside. Hooper becomes the 5th most capped Waratah in Super Rugby when he plays his 135th Super Rugby match in sky blue.

Jake Gordon continues to build his partnership with Wallaby teammate Ben Donaldson in the halves. Donaldson and Mark Nawaqanitawase are the only two Waratahs to play every minute of the 2023 Super Rugby Pacific season.

Lalakai Foketi once again forms an all-Wallaby midfield pairing with Izaia Perese. Mark Nawaqanitawse, who leads the team in carries (55), run metres (428) and tackle breaks (22) joins Dylan Pietsch on the wing, with Waratahs leading try scorer Max Jorgensen at fullback.

Darren Coleman has again gone with a traditional five-three split for his finishers, with Mahe Vailanu returning from a knee injury suffered against the Hurricanes, and Teddy Wilson recalled in place of Harrison Goddard.

Darren Coleman said: “We’re really happy to be able to name such a stable team, it’s one of the first times this season we have put out the same backline in back-to-back matches.”

“Tom Lambert and Te Tera Faulkner have done a great job interchanging between the starting team and the finishers and we welcome back Lachlan Swinton who was a late pull out against the Brumbies.

“We understand the importance of this game in the scheme of our season and have a duty to play well for our fans. We really appreciate their support and want to earn their respect back, and I know the boys will be on point to give our best performance of the year.”

WARATAHS TEAM TO TAKE ON THE FORCE

1 Tom Lambert (Sydney Uni/ Wests Juniors/ Trinity Grammar) 2 Dave Porecki (Manly/ Manly Roos/ Redlands) 3 Harry Johnson-Holmes (Sydney Uni/ Cowra Eagles/ Merewether High School) 4 Jed Holloway (Southern Districts/ Yamba Buccaneers/ Waverley College) 5 Ned Hanigan (Randwick/ Coonamble Rams/ St Joseph’s College) 6 Lachlan Swinton (Sydney Uni/ Wahroonga Tigers/ Knox Grammar School) 7 Michael Hooper (Manly/ Manly Roos/ St Pius X College) 8 Taleni Seu (Southern Districts/ Grammar Tech/ Onehunga High School) 9 Jake Gordon © (Sydney Uni/ Canterbury/ Blackwattle Bay) 10 Ben Donaldson (Randwick/ Clovelly Eagles/ Waverly College) 11 Dylan Pietsch (Randwick/ Leeton Phantoms/ Kings School) 12 Lalakai Foketi (Manly/ Manly Roos/ Kings School) 13 Izaia Perese (Randwick/ Aspley State School/ Anglican Church Grammar) 14 Mark Nawaqanitawase (Eastwood/ St Patrick’s College) 15 Max Jorgensen (Randwick/ Balmain Juniors/ St Joseph’s College) Replacements: 16 Mahe Vailanu (Gordon/ Melbourne Harlequins/ Auckland Grammar) 17 Te Tera Faulkner (Southern Districts/ Moorabin Rams/ Marist College Canberra) 18 Daniel Botha (Sydney Uni/ Mosman/ Scots College) 19 Zac Von Appen (Sydney Uni/ Harbord Harlequins/ St Augustine’s College) 20 Will Harris (Eastern Suburbs/ Hunters Hill Juniors/ Scots College) 21 Teddy Wilson (Eastern Suburbs/ Harbord Harlequins/ Kings School) 22 Joey Walton (Gordon/ Warnervale Wildcats/ Wadalba High School) 23 Harry Wilson (Eastwood/ Harbord Harlequins/ St Augustine’s College)

Players unavailable for selection: Angus Bell – Toe (Season) Charlie Gamble – Shoulder (Round 9+) Hugh Sinclair – Shoulder (Round 9) Langi Gleeson – Calf (Round 9) Mosese Tuipulotu – Knee (Round 9) Sateki Latu – Neck (Round 9) Tane Edmed – Back (Round 9) Tiaan Tauakipulu – Knee (Round 10) Will Harrison - ACL (Season)

Players Available for Shute Shield: Ben Dowling (Randwick) Harrison Goddard (Gordon) Hunter Ward (Manly) Jack Bowen (Eastern Suburbs) Nemani Nadolo (Western Sydney) Teddy Wilson (Eastern Suburbs) Tolu Latu (Western Sydney) Zane Marolt (Eastern Suburbs)

Match Details NSW Waratahs v Western Force Saturday 15 April - Allianz Stadium, Sydney Kick-off 7:35pm AEDT Live on 9GEM and Stan Sport

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/team-n...ixture-2023413

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Strachen and Stewart I would say
    as long as Kuenzel is not our place kicker!!

vCash
    Look at that excellent information from the Tahs on all players unavailable due to injury and their expected return dates! I really don't understand why we have had radio silence all year from the Force on injured players. For example, we still have absolutely no idea what is going on with Kane Koteka.

Really like Strachan's recent performances being rewarded with the starting 10 position.
    Pugh to 8 and Kalapu starting would've been the more logical starting line-up, but perhaps Norris is a gun and they wanted to squeeze him in as well as give Jackson a well deserved opportunity?

A good looking team from us overall, and I think it should be a relatively evenly matched game. The Tahs do have quiet a bit of firepower, so there is the chance of us getting blown away. Hoping that our recent NZ tour performances are a good indicator, and we should come away with a tight win however.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chiraag View Post
    Look at that excellent information from the Tahs on all players unavailable due to injury and their expected return dates! I really don't understand why we have had radio silence
    Let's hope they turn out pre-planned excuses. But yes, the Cone of Silence over here is frustrating for members. We've had about 3 or 4 articles about the match from SMH this week. Any odds how many next week if the boys spring an upset X? Radio Silence from SMH I'd suggest.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Senior Player
    vCash
    Interesting team that Cron has put out there. Strachan at 10 will be a great test for the young man. Interested to see how Norris goes.
    Get in there lads and serve it up to the Tahs!!

vCash
    Cron continues mystery signings with Maori All Black Norris added for Waratahs clash

Thu, Apr 13, 2023, 12:31 PM
    Nathan Williamson

Western Force coach Simon Cron continues to scour the globe for talent, bringing in Maori All Blacks backrower Jacob Norris for their clash with the NSW Waratahs.

Norris joined the squad during the tour of New Zealand as injury cover with captain Michael Wells (Achilles) forced to leave early.

Catch every game of Super Rugby Pacific LIVE on Stan Sport. Start your Free Sport Trial Now

It's the latest International injection into the squad, with scrumhalf Gareth Simpson captaining the side, although the backrower has Australian eligibility through his father.

"I'm always watching overseas," Cron told reporters.

"The key thing for us is we already have a young squad so we want to add value. We got a lot of guys in that New Zealand tour that got great experiences but we need to make sure we're bringing in guys with a little bit of experience around that as well.

"We always scouring for the right type of player and we feel Jacob will add. He's been with us for six weeks now so the door is open for him. We could see if we didn't add to the squad we could be light and sure enough we have."

Norris, brother of Chiefs prop Ollie, made his name for Tasman and Bay of Plenty in the NPC competition in New Zealand.

He was brought into the Maori squad for the two-Test series against Samoa in 2021, coming off the bench in a 35-10 win over Manu Samoa.

Cron was eager to bring the 24-year-old in with Rahboni Warren-Vosayaco ruled out with a tight groin.

“We’ve been tracking him for a while,” he said.

“One of the guys have coached him in the past so we knew he was an Australian sitting in New Zealand in terms of Australian qualified so it was just a case of tracking him.

“We brought him over just to add a squad number and see how he goes. He’s had previous Super Rugby pre-seasons that add training volume and age.”

Cron has also opted to key Jake Strachan at flyhalf after a promising performance off the bench against the Hurricanes.

Strachan helped engineer a late comeback that saw the Force nab a bonus point after the siren.

He scored a 79th-minute try before delivering a pin-point kick for Zach Kibirige as they flyer touched down well after the siren.

It allows Hamish Stewart to revert back to inside centre, partnering with impressive English import Sam Spink, whilst Bryce Hegarty continues to deal with a back complaint.

"Every game is an opportunity to win, so for me, this match is about learning from the key moments built on tour and using them as a positive endorsement," said Cron.

"Playing the Waratahs is always a great Australian battle; there's always going to be some fireworks. There's a lot of boys there that I have coached before who are good people so I'm looking forward to seeing them and going at them."

FORCE (1-15): Tom Robertson, Tom Horton, Santaigo Medrano, Jackson Pugh, Jeremy Williams, Tim Anstee, Ollie Callan, Jacob Norris, Gareth Simpson, Jake Strachan, Zach Kibirige, Hamish Stewart, Sam Spink, Manasa Mataele, Chase Tiatia

RESERVES: Feleti Kaitu’u, Angus Wagner, Siosifa Amone, Ryan McCauley, Felix Kalapu, Issak Fines-Leleiwasa, Bayley Kuenzle, George Poolman

Referee: Angus Gardner

Assistant Referees: Graham Cooper, Matt Kellahan

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/nsw-wa...orris--2023413

vCash
    I'm feeling quite excited about this game

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Gareth Simpson out with a dodgy Calf.

Fines-Leiawasa in

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco