Thread: Jeremy Thrush's retirement backflip officially over

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Jeremy Thrush's retirement backflip officially over

Justin Chadwick
    AAP
    April 21, 2023 7:17AM

Western Force lock Jeremy Thrush is happily back in retirement with the former All Blacks star cutting short his Super Rugby Pacific return due to a heel injury.

Thrush retired at the end of last season, but he made a shock return to the field in round one after answering an SOS call from Force coach Simon Cron.

The 38-year-old's return has been etched into Force folklore with Thrush scoring the winning try in a 34-27 win over the Melbourne Rebels.

Such was his impact Thrush was even elevated to the stand-in captaincy role for the round-three win over Moana.

But it proved to be his final appearance with a painful heel injury ending his chances of adding more matches to his tally.

"I'd love to pull Thrushy back but I think I may have used up every resource that he had in terms of body," Cron said ahead of Saturday night's crunch clash with the Highlanders in Perth.

"After those games his heel was really bad and he needed a cortisone injection.

"He was like, 'Cronno, I think I've done my service', which he had as he was filling a spot for us when we were really light on in those lock positions.

"I'd love to have him playing but unfortunately his body has probably had it."

The Force welcome back captain Michael Wells (Achilles), flyhalf Bryce Hegarty (back) and winger Toni Pulu (knee) this week, but hooker Folau Fainga'a is still battling an Achilles tendon injury that has sidelined him for several weeks.

"It's hard because it's an ongoing Achilles," Cron said.

"I know he ran well (on Wednesday), so there's light at the end of that tunnel for him."

Scrumhalf Gareth Simpson is expected to miss another two weeks with a quad strain while star Wallabies lock Izack Rodda is yet to return from the foot injury that grounded him on the eve of the season.

Flyhalf Jake Strachan will miss at least four weeks with concussion.

The Force sit in 11th spot with a 2-5 record at the halfway point of the season.

Cron said the Force learnt valuable lessons from their 43-35 loss to the Highlanders in NZ on March 19 and are hoping to turn the tables in Saturday's rematch.

"Gain line was our message in that game," Cron said.

"We only made three dominant tackles against the Highlanders last time and then the next week against the Blues we made 19 or 20.

"So all we did there was change the speed off the line, putting pressure on them and making contact. Against the Highlanders we sat on our heels."

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ru...ver-c-10411042

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    If he wasn't before, Thrushy is on the Force Legends list now. Hodgson, McCalman, Sharpe, Cowan, Stander, Badger, Pocock.......??

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    ....Chucky, Pusey, Taipan, Brown Dog, Canno, AJ, Spanner, K-Bomb, Fava......

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Thrush an absolute legend and still giving back to the club.

Adding to Shasta's legend list:

* Kieran Longbottom

* Scott Staniforth

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    ....Chucky, Pusey, Taipan, Brown Dog, Canno, AJ, Spanner, K-Bomb, Fava......
    OK,OK already!

Are you starting another list? Does it need a separate discussion thread?

vCash

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran
    vCash
    4 weeks for strachan. Defintely sohuld have been 10 weeks mitigated to add another 5 for being a toss pot with a shitty disciplinary record.

Veteran
    vCash
    just saw the Cron blast at the refs.

fair enough. that said i have heard crickets on it, and cannot for the life of me work out how they missed it, and I liked that it was called out as potentially on purpose. that will put the wind up them, and will force a response.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    it was called out as potentially on purpose.
    I really don't think there's any doubt about it. He was charging in high and never lowered an inch.

I reckon that might have removed him from Wallaby consideration. That f@ckwit is a liability.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I really don't think there's any doubt about it. He was charging in high and never lowered an inch.

I reckon that might have removed him from Wallaby consideration. That f@ckwit is a liability.
    no i mean this:
    "We saw it live, everyone I've talked to saw it live ... and yet two guys in the (TMO) box with nine cameras missed it," Cron told reporters on Thursday.

"So you've got to ask the question - did they miss it, or did they choose to miss it?
    that was by Cron....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    just saw the Cron blast at the refs.fair enough. that said i have heard crickets on it, and cannot for the life of me work out how they missed it, and I liked that it was called out as potentially on purpose. that will put the wind up them, and will force a response.
    Interestingly, despite the media beat up about it, there hasn't been a statement from ra about Cron being out of line criticising the refs.It's shameful how the way media pundits seem to be focusing on the reaction and not the incident, but it's telling that ra haven't called both Cron and Tony Lewis out about potentially pulling a rassie.It might suggest that ra are appropriately embarrassed and have decided to not talk about it and hope it just goes away.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the