Thread: Roger Tuivasa-Sheck to quit rugby union after confirming NRL return with Warriors

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck to quit rugby union after confirming NRL return with Warriors

Yesterday 3:43 pm

The Warriors have confirmed New Zealand dual international Roger Tuivasa-Sheck will return to the NRL club next year after two seasons in rugby union.

Tuivasa-Sheck – who won the 2018 Dally M Medal with the Warriors – has signed a three-year contract with the New Zealand club.

He left the Warriors late in the 2021 NRL season after being granted an early release from his contract.

Tuivasa-Sheck played three Tests for the All Blacks in 2022 during his first full year of professional rugby union.

The 29-year-old will see out the Super Rugby Pacific season with the Auckland-based Blues and is expected to be eligible for selection in the All Blacks' Rugby World Cup squad later this year.

"It's hugely exciting knowing Roger is coming back to us, back to his home at Mount Smart Stadium," Warriors chief executive Cameron George said in a statement.

"When he went to rugby union he did so knowing he was always welcome back here if he wished to return to rugby league. We couldn't be more delighted it's happening.

"He's popular with the players and a real fan favourite. It's going to be so good seeing him back in our jersey."

Tuivasa-Sheck made 111 NRL appearances for the Warriors after joining the club from the Sydney Roosters in 2016.

He captained the Warriors during his first stint with the club and has played 20 rugby league Tests for the Kiwis.

Apia-born Tuivasa-Sheck played 84 matches for the Roosters, having made his NRL debut in 2012.

The athletic back was a member of the Roosters' 2013 premiership-winning squad.

Tuivasa-Sheck was named as the top international men's player in 2019 when he was awarded the Golden Boot.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/othe...b3a5a5e7&ei=18

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Bloody Mungos

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Another cross-coder who looks to have been tried in RU in the wrong position. He had always been an outside back but the AB's have enough of those to fill a few world standard squads, so.......
    At the Warriors he selflessly offered to move from fullback to the centres so they could develop Reece Walsh before he (RT-S) went to RU. And look how brilliantly Walsh turned out! I thought the move to RU 12 was a mistake from the get-go - and said that here at the time. The position is just not suited to his strengths. Injuries hampered him as well.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Shasta who recruited RTS to come to Union? Or was it his own move?

Just seems like he never matched the commentators hype at the Test Level.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    I don't know why he switched; pretty irrelevant really. I'd guess it is the AB dream most Kiwi kids have. As to RT-S's skills, I thought I'd explained my thoughts above. But, as a bloke who admittedly knows FA about Mungos, perhaps this excellent piece by Paul Cully may help you understand things a little more clearly. I just wish Cully had asked Ian Foster the question that is more relevant - who's decision was it to switch a supremely talented outside back to the midfield and program him to gain 5kgs.

What RTS can teach Cam Murray and other would-be code-hoppers

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck’s Rugby World Cup hopes still have a pulse — if you look hard enough — but they were badly damaged the minute big Crusaders winger Leicester Fainga’anuku owned him at Eden Park in March.

RTS is, at best, the third choice No.12 in New Zealand at present, with the All Blacks favouring Jordie Barrett and David Havili.

https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/rug...21-p5d29l.html

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David