https://www.rugby.com.au/news/andy-m...lia-ceo-202351

Rugby Australia (RA) confirms that Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Andy Marinos, has decided to leave his role in the coming weeks to pursue new opportunities.

Marinos joined RA in February 2021, with a specific mandate to secure the immediate and long-term future of Rugby in Australia, at a time when sporting codes globally were grappling with the commercial and operational impacts of COVID-19.

In his two years, Marinos has overseen significant change for Rugby in Australia, including the financial turnaround from a $27.1 million loss in 2020 to a $8.2 million profit for 2022, as announced at the recent Annual General Meeting.

Chairman Hamish McLennan said Marinos had joined RA at an uncertain time for the sport, with a clear directive from the Board to create a pathway for making Australian Rugby great again.

“We asked Andy to draw upon his impressive career experience and extensive global relationships to re-establish Rugby as a leading code in Australia - he has delivered on this and been fundamental in the turnaround of the business.

“Andy will leave RA having delivered several key projects, including the finalisation of the 2027 and 2029 Rugby World Cups, locking in the 2025 British and Irish Lions Tour, planning for a new contracting model for the professional game, implementation of strategy to professionalise Women’s XVs Rugby, and a new four-year Collective Bargaining Agreement for our professional men’s and women’s players.

“On behalf of the Board, I would like to thank Andy for his contribution to RA. We wish him well with his future endeavours,” Mr McLennan said.

Mr Marinos said he had enjoyed his tenure at RA and was proud of what he and the team had accomplished in some often-challenging times.

“I cannot overstate the commitment and incredible work ethic of the people around me at RA, and the roles they have played in helping drive some critical structural changes for Rugby in this country.

“The foundations have been established and the business is now well-prepared to test the market for private equity investment, making it the right time for me to move on.