Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 Squad - Speculation Thread

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    If that's the GPS final (IIRC), it displays their differing styles - and why Pasitoa might make a good 12 option as James suggests.
    Final Round which happened to be between two undefeated teams, so yes effectively a Final.

Edit- thought I had pasted link in previous post sorry...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOgWKeCHR9s

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    At 100kgs, I feel like Pasitoa might be a better fit at 12 longer term. He has the size/skillset/kicking game to be a great there. If Parata was sticking around, you could have Donaldson/Burey/Parata to cover 10 (with plenty of other back-up options). Unfortunatey, where do you then put a guy like Hamish Stewart, who has always given 110% at 12. Failing that, Donaldson might be better off having a run at 15. There are lots of promising 10s knocking about, but nobody has put their hand up to be a long-term Wallaby 15 yet. If you play a bigger centre in Samu, having a playmaking/kicking 15 takes the pressure off a bit. One of the things I noticed about Donaldson in previous years is that he is surprisingly fast when he wants to be.
    And what about Batley kuenzle who was a promising developer at 12 but is currently behind Hamish?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    And what about Batley kuenzle who was a promising developer at 12 but is currently behind Hamish?
    I get the impression that Bayley's been struggling with injuries/fitness this year.
    So much potential and a great skill set (10/12/13/15) - he's got a great boot.
    Would certainly be part of Cron's rotation plans.
    I hope 2024 is a great year for him.

PS Bayley playing at OC for Souths against Easts in Shute Shield today.

Last edited by andrewg; 18-06-23 at 11:59.

Player
    vCash
    If Winchester can't be coaxed back, I'd be looking at Theo Fourie from the Rebels. As the 3rd Hooker behind Horton and Kaitu'u.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    If I was Coaching (which I have zero Coaching experience) I would be running things with two streams of focus-

1. The obvious, immediate (ie 2024) success, this would be the situation normal of using best players in best positions to get success now.

2. Planning for 2026. What will the team look like and are there genuine Wallaby contenders currently Under 24-25 to build on what is intended to be an improving plane of growth over the next two seasons. Getting enough experience into these junior players.
    What would a "Post Nic White etc XV" look like (and how do you retain &/or supplement those positions)?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Western Force confirm signing of Waratah Will Harris
    Thu, Jun 22, 2023, 7:56 AM
    Nathan Williamson

The Western Force have continued to bolster their squad with the signing of backrower Will Harris.

The two-year deal sees the 23-year-old join Ben Donaldson and good mate Jeremy WIlliams at the club.

Catch every game of Super Rugby Pacific LIVE on Stan Sport. Start your Free Sport Trial Now

Harris featured 41 times for the Waratahs since his debut in 2020, eventually named as part of the Australia A squad in 2022.

"Crono and Jeremy (Williams) are two key factors for my move over. The Force is a team on the up, and I want to stay in Australia to push for a Wallabies jersey. Here, I look forward to a fresh start and improving my game," Harris said in a statement.

"Jeremy and I went to school together and have stayed in the same friendship circle and best mates for the last ten years. We played club rugby together, school, the list goes on. He 'Jeremy' has had only good things to say about the Force, so that made me sure of my move over.

"Crono is a very individualistic coach; he has a lot of time for you one-on-one, knows his detail in and out, and is ruthless. I have heard he keeps everyone accountable.

"I have sort of made myself known in the Super competition now. I still have a lot to work on in terms of my attacking game and getting a bit more involved with the ball, my carry in the middle, and overall being more physical around the park."

Western Force coach Simon Cron was equally as pleased as he continues to build for the future.

"Will is extremely fast and explosive as well as having a high skill level," he added.

He adds another genuine lineout option to our forward pack because he is incredibly fast off the ground”.

"I was lucky enough to coach Will a few years ago and he is a player who is always wanting to learn and get better.

"He is very driven and adds a wealth of Super Rugby experience at such a young age”.

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/wester...harris-2023621

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    That's 30 signed now.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    That's 30 signed now.
    Re front page of this thread:
    Jack Winchester (Back to Bond Uni) and Ryan McCauley (Valence Romans - FRA) have both gone.

vCash
    Harris is a good signing since he's got that bigger body to perform the big basher role at number 8 that we've largely been missing for the last few years. Our backrow was already an area of strength however, so going to be a lot of competition for the 4 backrow spots in the 23 next year.
    Desperately hoping for some good news on prop and outside back (to a slightly lesser extent) signings though. Other signings are going to be pretty much meaningless without a set of props that can achieve parity at scrum time.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chiraag View Post
    Harris is a good signing since he's got that bigger body to perform the big basher role at number 8 that we've largely been missing for the last few years. Our backrow was already an area of strength however, so going to be a lot of competition for the 4 backrow spots in the 23 next year.
    Desperately hoping for some good news on prop and outside back (to a slightly lesser extent) signings though. Other signings are going to be pretty much meaningless without a set of props that can achieve parity at scrum time.
    I believe we're also short at least one hooker, so hopefully Hodgo has some cunning plan.

C'mon the

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I believe we're also short at least one hooker, so hopefully Hodgo has some cunning plan.
    Hopefully Cron is doing the recruiting now and not Hodgo.

Harris is a great signing, I still hope we keep Isi as well, is that likely or was he only ever short term?

Definitely agree the front row is a concern

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Owen View Post
    Hopefully Cron is doing the recruiting now and not Hodgo.
    Not disagreeing - or agreeing. Just wondering about your reasoning for that. AFAIK we don't have a dedicated recruitment manager. Hodgo is the football manager, so I'd think it likely the coaches would have to at least run prospects past him. I'm just thinking that Cron seems to tend towards blokes he's coached in the past. On the evidence after a season, I'd say the jury is still out on that one.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Not disagreeing - or agreeing. Just wondering about your reasoning for that. AFAIK we don't have a dedicated recruitment manager. Hodgo is the football manager, so I'd think it likely the coaches would have to at least run prospects past him. I'm just thinking that Cron seems to tend towards blokes he's coached in the past. On the evidence after a season, I'd say the jury is still out on that one.
    I think any organisation worth their salt will separate the two roles.

The coach issues names to the recruitment manager, the recruitment manager gets whoever they can off that list while the coach continues to do his job (which is coaching, not negotiating contracts)

I agree that Cron is using players he's familiar with, but that isn't particularly unusual is it? It tends to make sure he's getting blokes who are known quantities and come up to speed quicker.

I haven't seen Cron refuse to work with a guy just due to unfamiliarity. Some would say his persistence with Michael Wells was excessive.

C'mon the

vCash
    I reckon that it's more of a case of "whatever it takes".
    My understanding is that Hodgson is the High Performance Manager, which I assume includes recruiting, while Cron is the Head Coach. I can't imagine that Hodgson is the type to "force" players onto Cron. Cron as coach is responsible for team selection and performance. They appear to work very well together as a team.
    Simon Cron recently expressed the view that he had underestimated how difficult it was to recruit into WA.
    However, the development of a good rugby program is in itself an attraction.
    Will Harris was prepared to come as he knew Cron and feedback from Williams was that Williams was developing well under the program/Cron.
    In the short term, I have no issues with Cron drawing upon players with whom he's worked before as it gets "bums on seats".
    As the program develops I would expect that the net could go further.
    Nothing is going to succeed like success, which both Hodgson and Cron appear to be working towards - together as a team.

Last edited by andrewg; 22-06-23 at 13:40.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Western Force confirm signing of Waratah Will Harris
    Has got wheels-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRCH6njgGpI

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast