Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cut the B.S: Every WA sports team needs a star to draw a crowd - and the Force just g

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Cut the B.S: Every WA sports team needs a star to draw a crowd - and the Force just g

Ben Smith
    PerthNow
    May 25, 2023 2:00AM

When the Western Force announced the capture of prized Wallabies scrum-half Nic White, the club’s chief executive Tony Lewis fronted the media the same day to spruik one of their biggest signings in history.

It may not be Matt Giteau arriving in town in 2007, but the arrival of White is a huge coup for the Force.

When it comes to recognisable Wallabies, White — with his trademark moustache — is most likely the one the average fan would find it easiest to pick out of a line-up.

He is competitive, he is provocative (Lewis descried him as “chatty”), he gets the people going, but he is also a trusted leader in the Wallabies’ locker room.

When Lewis and director of rugby Matt Hodgson took to the podium to espouse the virtues of signing White, his leadership credentials were brought up, but Lewis also spoke about what White brought from an off-the-field point of view.

We’re looking forward to him being chatty, being the face of rugby in WA. We really want to grow the game here and he’ll offer us that opportunity to use him and his profile to get more boys and girls playing,” he said.

“If you’re an AFL player, you have multiple people in the State that you can look up to who are All-Australians, if you’re a cricketer, you have the Marsh brothers, there’s multiple players who have played for Australia.”

Both Lewis and Force coach Simon Cron have spoken about the need to grow the game within WA and in the super-saturated sports market that is Perth, you need a consistent winning record or a big-name player (or ideally both) to achieve cut-through.

In a sports-mad city where there are as many professional teams as sunny days, people only have so much time and money, and clubs need to have not just their curiosity, but their attention too.

Years of winning will build you an army of followers (see West Coast Eagles and Perth Wildcats) but celebrity status has tangible pulling power.

West Coast have always had big names — Ben Cousins, Chris Judd, Nic Naitanui, Josh Kennedy et al. — and Fremantle have had megastars such as Matthew Pavlich and Nat Fyfe over the past two decades.

The Perth Wildcats have Bryce Cotton currently, and before him had Shawn Redhage, Ricky Grace and a host of other stars; WA Cricket can point to Cam Green and Mitch Marsh and previously had Shaun Marsh, Adam Gilchrist and Justin Langer, while the West Coast fever currently have Courtney Bruce and Jhaniele Fowler.

Perth Glory had Diego Castro, and further afield, the round ball game has greatly benefited from local product Sam Kerr, who is about to captain her country at a home World Cup and one of the most recognisable stars in world football.

The Force have had a lot of good players, but the last one to have any sort of serious mainstream cut-through was human headline and walking quote machine Nick Cummins.

Tom Robertson was their only player to be named in Eddie Jones’ inaugural Wallaby squad, while star lock Izack Rodda has spent all season on the sidelines with a foot injury.

The Force’s attendances have consistently cracked 6000 this season, but are yet to threaten 10,000 but they’ve proved in years past they can draw a crowd.

There is appetite for the code at both grassroots and the top level, best evidenced by the three Wallabies Tests at Optus Stadium drawing crowds of 61,241 — a venue record, 52,724 and 47,668.

While the marquee matches may speak more to the average Perth punter’s love of big-ticket game, clearly there is support for rugby union. The trick is how to convert them into regular Force fans.

The signing of White will undoubtedly help the Force on-field, but it gives them a chance to win over the off-field neutrals too.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/opinion/...ite-c-10647656

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Just sign Israel Folau.

In the words of Eric Bischoff, "Controversy Creates Ca$h"

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by chibi; 25-05-23 at 16:25.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    FFS, that is setting a low bar. The Force has long welcomed the disenfranchised and lost, and this isn't really any different. Good player, but he'd rather be somewhere else by his own admission and is only coming because RA have cut his top-up.

He's well on the back nine and hoping to hold on for the Lions, and all best of luck to him for that. But a big name marquee...please. All those names trotted out in the article were here in their prime, setting the world alight. White would be more akin to the Eagles having signed Jack Riewoldt.

Not that a marquee wouldnt be awesome, but the reality is that they would need to be someone international here. At least until we got our own, assuming we'd be able to keep them.

vCash
    Marquee players... grunt. What is their actual worth.

I come from an AFL background/circle of family and friends.

I remember the Giteau signing, I still had to explain who he was and why a good signing.

I remember "The Honey Badger" current Wallaby but wasn't worth anything for Karmichael Hunt to be paid millions to buy cocaine and not play.

I remember Karmichael Hunt being a marquee to the the Sun's, then Ablett and all the success that followed...

I remember Izzy Folau signing with GWS and Then The Tahs and The Wallabies and all the success that followed. Great stats personally but overall? Yep 2014 it was definitely Folau, not AAC, Beale, Horne, Foley, Hoiles, Phipps, Pulu, Hooper, Kepu, TPN in just the first XV...
    Also played AFL and still couldn't kick for shit.

Bryce Cotton, I was a member of the wildcats from 2008 to covid and the pathetic offer they offered the fans to "Donate" their membership to the club. Great player, great player no question... also first player in a long time to not make finals.

The only winners are the player, agent and media in most circumstances.

I'm happy with the Nic White signing and what a great get. But I am more excited about the 3 contract extensions and the younger players coming up, the return of Tizzano and Isi, Spink.

Edit: Spink not returning obviously but what a find

Rant over

Last edited by Leo86; 25-05-23 at 18:59. Reason: Clarification

Champion
    vCash
    What this article shows to me is the writer at The Worst - who is Ben Smith by the way - really does not have a grasp of Australian rugby, the Force or what a marquee signing really is.
    White is NOT a marquee signing.
    Smit wrote: "The signing of White will undoubtedly help the Force on-field, but it gives them a chance to win over the off-field neutrals too."
    No he won't.
    He wrote: "The arrival of White is a huge coup for the Force."
    No he is not.
    There are other things in this article that really show up little knowledge, but I can't be bothered to go through them right now.
    I suggest Smith does some research next time.

vCash
    Are there any mainstream marquee players in the game that the general public even know anymore? The last I can think of was Jonny Wilkinson or George Gregan.

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    Just sign Israel Folau.

In the words of Eric Bischoff, "Controversy Creates Ca$h"

I'll take The Advocate over that muppet any day.

Name:  BetyYNTCQAAmmY_.jpg
Views: 12288
Size:  25.1 KB

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    AFL supporters couldn't give a flying fuck about Rugby.

My Dad is 77 years old. He grew up in Morawa country WA. I have dragged him and my 39-year-old brother to 3 Force matches at Subi and HBF over the years. Sure, they had a good time. They acknowledged the skill level. But they would never go to a game if I wasn't alongside them. They would never watch them on TV.

I think my dad may have watched the Wallabies a couple of times.

We talk to about matches. But he has no concept of the game play. He likes it because I love it. But he doesn't care.

The point I am trying to make is that there is no person on this planet who the Force could sign up. That would see my Dad become a member of the Force.

Actually, I could, buy him a membership, he would see it as a waste of money.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    I'll take The Advocate over that muppet any day.
    EE SEE DUB! EE SEE DUB!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo86 View Post
    Marquee players... grunt. What is their actual worth.

I come from an AFL background/circle of family and friends.

I remember the Giteau signing, I still had to explain who he was and why a good signing.

I remember "The Honey Badger" current Wallaby but wasn't worth anything for Karmichael Hunt to be paid millions to buy cocaine and not play.

I remember Karmichael Hunt being a marquee to the the Sun's, then Ablett and all the success that followed...

I remember Izzy Folau signing with GWS and Then The Tahs and The Wallabies and all the success that followed. Great stats personally but overall? Yep 2014 it was definitely Folau, not AAC, Beale, Horne, Foley, Hoiles, Phipps, Pulu, Hooper, Kepu, TPN in just the first XV...
    Also played AFL and still couldn't kick for shit.

Bryce Cotton, I was a member of the wildcats from 2008 to covid and the pathetic offer they offered the fans to "Donate" their membership to the club. Great player, great player no question... also first player in a long time to not make finals.

The only winners are the player, agent and media in most circumstances.

I'm happy with the Nic White signing and what a great get. But I am more excited about the 3 contract extensions and the younger players coming up, the return of Tizzano and Isi, Spink.

Edit: Spink not returning obviously but what a find

Rant over
    Spink is signed up for a 2 years.

Exile
    Sydney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    Spink is signed up for a 2 years.
    My apologies in my rant, I never meant Spink returning like Tizz and Isi. Then my attemp at edit worsened my intent.

vCash
    Well I hope you blokes enjoyed your rant. This was the article I referred to in another thread as something I'd never seen before. News of a high profile signing in the hard copy local papers that get tossed on suburban driveways. It's not meant to enthrall all us rusted ons who question the signing - the pitiful 6500 who rolled into HBF for our latest undefeated effort. It's an effort to get back the other 16-odd thousand members who used to turn up at Subiaco.
    To whoever in HQ who got this out there - Well done and keep up the good work.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Well I hope you blokes enjoyed your rant. This was the article I referred to in another thread as something I'd never seen before. News of a high profile signing in the hard copy local papers that get tossed on suburban driveways. It's not meant to enthrall all us rusted ons who question the signing - the pitiful 6500 who rolled into HBF for our latest undefeated effort. It's an effort to get back the other 16-odd thousand members who used to turn up at Subiaco.
    To whoever in HQ who got this out there - Well done and keep up the good work.
    Very good point well made.

Exile
    Sydney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    What this article shows to me is the writer at The Worst - who is Ben Smith by the way - really does not have a grasp of Australian rugby, the Force or what a marquee signing really is.
    White is NOT a marquee signing.
    Smit wrote: "The signing of White will undoubtedly help the Force on-field, but it gives them a chance to win over the off-field neutrals too."
    No he won't.
    He wrote: "The arrival of White is a huge coup for the Force."
    No he is not.
    There are other things in this article that really show up little knowledge, but I can't be bothered to go through them right now.
    I suggest Smith does some research next time.
    I respectfully disagree with a number of your points.

Regardless of what you think of White's on-field (or off field) behaviour, his signing is absolutely a coup for the Force.
    White is the CURRENT WALLABY HALFBACK with apparently no viable challengers to him starting all the important matches at RWC.
    In and of itself that definitely makes White a "Marquee signing"
    This signing will help the Force on field, because a current wallaby will be better than (at least) our last string scrumhalf, therefore our playing stocks are strengthened.

Now, does any of this mean he'll win over "off field neutrals" I don't think it'll affect 90% of the WA public, who think "who do you support?" is only answerable by saying "eagles" or "Dockers" BUT there are numbers of people who have previously been members of the Force and/or attended games, those who have an interest in rugby, but have got sick of supporting a team that doesn't perform yada yada yada will their eyes turn that direction again and we maybe pick up some memberships by signing a current Wallaby? well it's not a ridiculously long bow to draw is it? Will it bring the missing 4,000 members, no but is it a good news story - yes!

It will be better if he stops being a yappy, petulant twat who is tainted by a clumsy dive in a test match - absolutely, but maybe that's too much to wish for!

C'mon the

vCash
    Just for clarification GIGS; are you saying that the 6500 who turned up last week represent about two thirds of the membership. That's to say there are about 1500 members for 2024?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast