Thread: Mind over matter as Force aim to gatecrash finals

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Mind over matter as Force aim to gatecrash finals

Wed, May 31, 2023, 8:03 AM
    Justin Chadwick - AAP

Western Force captain Michael Wells says his team's mindset will be the determining factor on whether they beat the ladder-leading Chiefs and gatecrash the Super Rugby Pacific finals.

The Force's finals fate is no longer in their own hands following last week's embarrassing 52-14 loss to the Melbourne Rebels.

Catch every game of Super Rugby Pacific LIVE on Stan Sport. Start your Free Sport Trial Now

The result dropped the Force to ninth spot, one point adrift of the Highlanders and two points behind the Queensland Reds.

It means the Force must defeat the Chiefs on Saturday night in Perth - and hope at least one of the Highlanders or Reds lose - in order to sneak into the crucial top eight.

"We're here to play finals. You don't need any more motivation than that," Wells told reporters on Tuesday.

"There is no tomorrow after this game if we don't get the result."

The Force have suffered a number of big losses this year.

There was the 71-20 battering by the Reds in round two, the 36-16 defeat to the Waratahs in round seven, and last week's 38-point loss to the Rebels.

Wells believes his team's problems have stemmed from a poor approach at key moments, rather than a lack of ability.

"Mindset, not skillset," Wells replied when asked about the message leading into Saturday's must-win clash with the Chiefs.

Western Force coach Simon Cron and captain Michael Wells speak after their defeat to the Rebels
    "When we've seen the really bad performances - we look at last week, we look at the Reds game - it's a mindset (thing).

"We haven't shown up and done our job. We've gone away, we've gone individual.

"Usually the war of the game is a mindset battle. If you want to run over the top of someone, you generally will.

"If you want to tackle someone and knock them back more than they want to run over you, you generally will.

"It's getting the mindset right, because we know the skillset is there."

The Chiefs (12-1) are guaranteed to finish top, meaning they may send a second-string squad across to Perth in order to rest their stars ahead of the finals.

Wells said no matter who the Chiefs put on the field, Saturday's clash will be a tough task.

"Whether they send the guys who are internationals, or whether they send the guys who are strong squad members, whatever they roll out we're going to have to match," Wells said.

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/mind-o...finals-2023531

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I agree on the mindset vs skillset statement.

I'd love to hear everything he said because, as captain I would be disappointed if he hasn't shouldered the weight of responsibility for that. It is 100% his job on the field to make sure that's solid.

Yes during prep, the coaches take some of the workload, but this is absolutely the captain's role.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    It all sounds great, but the time for it was last week. Everyone would love to see a miracle and a winning season at home, but hard to see the team in the finals. Or, TBH, say they would deserve to be there. Maybe in a couple of years, if they can get all those minds and bodies right and then keep the team together as a group...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    It all sounds great, but the time for it was last week. Everyone would love to see a miracle and a winning season at home, but hard to see the team in the finals. Or, TBH, say they would deserve to be there. Maybe in a couple of years, if they can get all those minds and bodies right and then keep the team together as a group...
    Yeah agree Andy, a combinaton that looked as flat as they did last week, when faced with 1. playing finals, 2. Captains century and 3. the f'ing Rebels AWAY!!! says a little too much about mindset and (hate the term) culture at this point.

Touching on Gigs' previous, I'm finding it hard to buy what our Captain is selling. Seems to have all the "right" words but just doesn't come across as believable. For a leader that indicates he's a "lead by example" type, if you aren't motivating and inspiring through your words (including interviews) then you need to actually inspire through your actions.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    “We’re here to play finals”??? Where was that statement and the desire last week??? FFS!

We should already have one foot in the finals! It was in our hands. Now we’ve gotta beat the best team in the comp AND hope the Reds & Highlanders slip up.

Publicly devoid of responsibility. The fist direction a great leader points his finger at when things go badly is at himself. Stop the sh!t rolling downhill! Don’t help push it down yourself.

He obviously speaks the same language as Cron. But we don’t need 2 Cron’s. We need a leader who can implement the coaches plan on the field. Not quote it verbatim after it goes wrong.

Could you ever imagine Hodgo saying what Wells has rolled out during last weeks press conference and today’s interview?

Not a chance!

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    The mindset was f**king awful last week when all they held their fate in their own hands and we're expected to believe that they've got that finals mindset a week later?

Wells is off his head.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    The mindset was f**king awful last week when all they held their fate in their own hands and we're expected to believe that they've got that finals mindset a week later?

Wells is off his head.
    I think the best thing that could happen this week is for the Force to lose gallantly and miss out on the finals. They would attempt to spin the one week reprieve that winning the game would offer them as some form of success when, it's clear, that the season has not been up to standard.

C'mon the

vCash
    Well I can't disagree with anything that's been said. Especially the Hodgo sentiment (you could easily substitute Sharpie Benny Mac plus a couple of others there). But if some of the goss is right they have brought a strong line-up; so if they get up I'll take it. But dread what might happen in an away QF.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Well I can't disagree with anything that's been said. Especially the Hodgo sentiment (you could easily substitute Sharpie Benny Mac plus a couple of others there). But if some of the goss is right they have brought a strong line-up; so if they get up I'll take it. But dread what might happen in an away QF.
    I'd argue Benny Mac is probably at the front of that list if based on inspiring through actions more than words. Very few words, don't recall many at all of the industry wank words, but certainly lead the way. "Learnings"...
    Others all great Captains, but more traditional balance of motivation through words, interacting with Ref etc.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    unfortunately,this season has been a fair bit of talk,but not enough walk

Last edited by brokendown gunfighter; 31-05-23 at 18:05.

vCash
    Tizzano also mentioned on the Rugby Wrap podcast about the players going away from the processes.

When the boys asked him about the Rebels game he said "The gameplans work when you stick to them"!

He talked up the gameplan(s) that the coaches set out for them, especially last weeks. It appears we do not have the ability to implement them on the field.

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    unfortunately,this season has been a fair bit of talk,but not enough walk
    Quote Originally Posted by WFDom View Post
    Tizzano also mentioned on the Rugby Wrap podcast about the players going away from the processes.

When the boys asked him about the Rebels game he said "The gameplans work when you stick to them"!

He talked up the gameplan(s) that the coaches set out for them, especially last weeks. It appears we do not have the ability to implement them on the field.
    I mean there's a fairly consistent theme coming through isn't there?

Highly experienced and capable players are 100% behind the game plan but the ability/will to stick to the plan is lacking.

As a team member I've always been a fan of the Controlling what you can control aspect ie "what can I do to make this situation better" so, how does Carlo help the team to stick to the plan? How does Wells? Maybe they're all talking to themselves, or maybe there are rogue elements in the club who tend to fly off on random tangents (did anybody else's mind just immediately generate a picture of Chase?)

Maybe the age of the team is the issue One would think that Nic White (being hugely experienced) might have an impact on that. I can imagine his reaction if one of the young players decides to go off script.

C'mon the