1 11.11%

Thread: Western Force vs Cheetahs 3

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Western Force vs Cheetahs 3

Force team named for Mandurah clash vs Cheetahs with Kalolo set to start

Thu, Sep 28, 2023, 6:00 PM
    by Ben Somerford

The Western Force team for Friday night’s Toyota Challenge Game 3 against the Cheetahs has been confirmed with minimal changes from the Game 2 side.

Perth-Bayswater talent Faamanu Kalolo is elevated into the starting side at left flanker to replace Donny Freeman (thumb) in the only change to the XV.

Santiago Medrano returns to the side as a finisher, with Wests-Scarborough lock Reagan Leslie and Palmyra full-back/winger Rewita Biddle also set for opportunities off the bench.

From the squad that went to South Africa, Josh Thompson is out with a dislocated shoulder while Giovanni Leituala and Regi Churchward have been released to play for Perth Gold.

Force head coach Simon Cron said: “The objective of the tour remains the same, development of our players and creating depth for Super Rugby. As a result, it’s a relatively unchanged line-up from South Africa, with the only changes forced upon us due to injury.”

A number of players were unable to be considered due to injury or having had surgery post Super Rugby Pacific season.

Cron was excited by the inclusion of Kalolo, along with Fortescue Academy tight-head prop Tiaan Tauakipulu.

“We’re really enjoying his contribution to the team,” Cron said. “We also really want to create some depth at tight-head.”

Jeremy Williams and Max Burey will lead the team as co-captains.

Tickets are on sale for the Mandurah game via Ticketmaster from $15 for the general public and $10 for Force Members. Buy your tickets here.

Gates open at 5:30pm on Friday 29 September, with kick-off at 7pm.

The Force thanks the City of Mandurah for their support.

Game Details

Game 3, Western Force vs Cheetahs

Lane Group Stadium, Rushton Park, Mandurah

Friday 29 September 7pm AWST

Western Force

1. Marley Pearce,
    2. Tom Horton,
    3. Tiaan Tauakipulu,
    4. Jackson Pugh,
    5. Lopeti Faifua,
    6. Faamanu Kalolo,
    7. Carlo Tizzano,
    8. Jeremy Williams (cc),
    9. Henry Robertson,
    10. Max Burey (cc),
    11. Ronan Leahy,
    12. Bayley Kuenzle,
    13. Sam Spink,
    14. George Poolman,
    15. Harry Potter

16. Ford Hemi,
    17. Angus Wagner,
    18. Santiago Medrano,
    19. Reagan Leslie,
    20. Albert Alcock,
    21. Ian Prior,
    22. Reesjan Pasitoa,
    23. Rewita Biddle

Cheetahs

1. Schalk Ferreira,
    2. Marnus van der Merwe,
    3. Laurance Victor,
    4. Rynier Bernardo,
    5. Victor Sekekete (c),
    6. Gideon van der Merwe,
    7. Sibabalo Qoma,
    8. Friedle Olivier,
    9. Rewan Kruger,
    10. Ruan Pienaar,
    11. Cohen Jasper,
    12. Reinhardt Fortuin,
    13. Robert Ebersohn,
    14. Daniel Kasende,
    15. Tapiwa Mafura;

16. Marko Janse van Rensburg,
    17. Alulutho Tshakweni,
    18. Hencus van Wyk,
    19. Carl Wegner,
    20. Daniel Maartens,
    21. Jeandre Rudolph,
    22. Raegan Oranje,
    23. George Lourens

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    It'll be interesting to see what crowd we can attract. I've heard the local radio giving away tix but haven't seen any promotion around town. Rode my treadly past the ground today - zilch.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Any updates?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    If the 2nd half is as gold as the half time tourist spot, we're in for a treat..
    Those two are adorable..
    "I'm trying to explain the wood is straight.."

cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Any updates?
    63 minutes in, Force 23, Cheetahs 27. Force have lineout 5m out

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Full time Force 30 Cheetahs 27

vCash
    What was that ending all about FFS!

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WFDom View Post
    What was that ending all about FFS!
    Yep, that was really dumb. Great night out, decent crowd, highlights of the night - the much maligned Poolman's mid air catch for a try closely followed by the front-on hit by Ronan Leahy, who had a fantastic game as well. I was so impressed I asked Hodgo about him post game. He agrees and told me he's only 18. 👍
    Downside was the poor lighting. WAFL training standard. Very hard to see what was going on anywhere east of centre.

Definitely going to the daytime match at Claremont

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I was impressed. Considering a few of the lads are playing club rugby against professional team, especially an SA team and come away with a win when our best kicker got a cold was impressive. Horton is getting better by the game and I do love the little wing ( Lehey?).
    Coaching department is certainly working overtime.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yep, agree with the consensus, was a good showing, the local lads didn't look out of place, Horton is on his way to the Wallaby Squad at the end of '24, likewise Tizzano, Burey continues to impress and Leahy, if he doesn't kill himself in tackling big units, could be anything! Also enjoyed Pasitoa looking for hard hits. Seems unkind not to mention the rest of the team, have only just got home so maybe after I watch the telecast.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Burgs; 30-09-23 at 00:14.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Tizzano try secures thrilling Force win in Game 3 against Cheetahs in Mandurah

Fri, Sep 29, 2023, 7:45 PM
    by Ben Somerford

The Western Force have rallied past the Cheetahs 30-27 in a see-sawing encounter in Game 3 of the Toyota Challenge in front of a healthy crowd at Mandurah’s Lane Group Stadium on Friday night.

The Force hung on in the thrilling final minutes after Carlo Tizzano burst through for his second try of the night in the 68th minute, after the Cheetahs had led 17-13 at half-time.

The home side had earlier raced to a 13-3 lead after tries to Tizzano and George Poolman, only to open the door for the Cheetahs to respond with tries to Gideon van der Merwe and Hencus van Wyk late on before half-time.

The two sides traded the lead in the second half before Tizzano’s decisive second score. Force hooker Tom Horton was named Player of the Match after a strong display.

The result means the Force are 2-1 down in the four-game Toyota Challenge ahead of Game 4 at Claremont’s Revo Fitness Stadium on Saturday 7 October from 3pm.

The Force started strong with co-captain Max Burey, who had missed a third-minute penalty, shaping to kick before bursting clear with speed on a near full-length run.

That created the opportunity for the opening try with Tizzano rolling over after a quick line-out in the 13th minute.

Impressive Cheetahs fly-half Ruan Pienaar converted a penalty from 40m to make it 5-3, before the Force almost had their second try in the 23rd minute from Burey’s clever kick into the corner with Ronan Leahy unable to capitalize on Daniel Kasende’s fumble.

Burey converted a penalty to restore the Force’s five-point lead and the home side pulled further clear in the 26th minute after Horton combined with housemate Harry Potter to keep a play alive. From that, Burey kicked into the openside corner for a diving Poolman to collect and score for 13-3.

However, the Force’s early lead quickly vanished as the Cheetahs brought on reinforcements, while some moments of ill-discipline didn’t help, offering possession in dangerous territory. Van der Merwe was able to cross the line after a maul from a line-out with Pienaar converting for 13-10 in the 33rd minute.

Jackson Pugh went on an excellent 35m run but couldn’t find the right pass, before play went down the other end in the blink of an eye. Potter couldn’t handle Reinhardt Fortuin’s kick in behind, with Hencus van Wyk found on the outside to cross, with Pienaar converting for a 17-13 half-time lead.

Pugh put the Force ahead in the 44th minute from a line-out set-play, peeling around the back from Horton’s pass, bringing a roar from the Mandurah faithful.

Scores were level at 20-20 after Pienaar nailed another conversion after Rewan Kruger’s clever flat kick, before the visitors moved 27-20 ahead following Kasende’s run down the wing, which led to Marnus van der Merwe scoring from a rolling maul. Pienaar again was pinpoint with the extra two from the sideline.

But the Force rallied, first with Burey slotting a penalty from 30m out after the Cheetahs didn’t release the tackled player, before Henry Robertson’s kick extended the pressure after some aerial ping pong.

The Force almost crossed, with Carl Wegner yellow carded from a professional penalty on the line upon wave after wave of pressure as Horton was held up.

Finally, Tizzano burst through in the 68th minute for the game-winner, only for a frenetic finale to ensue. Burey missed a penalty attempt to ice the game, but the Force held on.

Scores

Force 30

Tries: Tizzano 2, Poolman, Pugh

Conversions: Burey 2

Penalties: Burey 2

Cheetahs 27

Tries: G. van der Merwe, van Wyk, M. van der Merwe

Conversions: Pienaar 3

Penalties: Pienaar 2

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I'm excited for Tizzano next season. There are question marks over the physicality of McReight. I'd say that's Tizzano's point of difference.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Yes he was impressive last night. The thing I'm most looking forward to is the depth of and competition for key play maker positions. Burey gets better every time we see him so Wallaby Donaldson has his work cut out securing either of his preferred options. As does White. Seems IFL has gone past him in Jones's "best team"

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Yeah, you say that IFL beats white in Jones best team, but if you look at that objectively it tells you that he's been deliberately dogging in all other matches so he can bring his best team in against the lowest ranked rival.

It's either extreme arrogance or utter bullshit. With Eddie, it's hard to tell which.

C'mon the